Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE My first rabbit, Lazer

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • MarkBun
      Participant
      2842 posts Send Private Message

Doing some spring cleaning, I came across the only photo I have of my first rabbit.  Her name was Lazer due to a small tuft of white fur in the center of her forehead.  I was given her as a valentine’s day present and I had no idea how to take care of rabbits.  I treated her like a dog and that just wound up with us being at odds with one another from day one.  She passed on after only 4 years and I didn’t even think about another pet for over a decade.  Everytime I do something nice for bunnies, I like to think that she’s watching me and saying, “Oh, NOW you get it?!!  It’s about time.”

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

She was pretty. How old where you when you had her?

• MarkBun
          Participant

I was roughly 20. I was in college where pets weren’t allowed so I had to hide her in my closet (although I kept the door open). It was a bad thing all around but I do like to think that since she had food, water and run time that she had it better than most.

• RabbitPam
            11002 posts Send Private Message

That’s a lovely B&W photo. Was she actually black?

I think she sent you Maryann so you could learn to be a good parent – but from a tough teacher.

• MarkBun
              Participant

Yes, she was jet black except for the small blaze on her forehead and her right nostril fur. And I don’t doubt it. In fact, I think that Dono’s been evesdropping on the conversations between her and Maryann and that’s why he’s afraid of me.

• MimzMum
                Participant
                8029 posts Send Private Message

What a beautiful bunny she was, Markus. ^_^ And I know it’s been said before, but it’s worth repeating that; when we are young and uninformed about animal care we tend to make mistakes that perhaps affect us more deeply than it does the animal. But we do the best we can with what we have at the time.
                  I have seen (through this board) how lovingly you care for Maryann and Dono. They would be lost without you. And think of how round Fitz would be now if you had not intervened!
                  You are a great bunny caretaker, Markus. You have the proof in front of you. I hope a time will come when you can remember Lazer with nothing but happiness.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Awww what a cute bun Markus! That’s a bit ironic-my bunnies are now hiding in the closet

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

Oh, she’s a perty gal!

So many of us have been in your shoes. Though I didn’t have bunnies in my younger and college days, I think of the animals I did have – a bird, turtle, lizards, and now looking back, I know I could have known more about them to give them a MUCH better life. And though yes, I wish I did give them a better life, knowing what it’s like to be in that mindset now gives me a much higher tolerance level with many situations, and I think that tolerance actually can lend itself to providing education with less judgement, and with some stubborn people, this actually can help lower their guard so they can be more open to learning under those conditions.

Whatever you do, don’t feel bad about what you didn’t know. What you are doing now is wonderful and caring, and your bunnies couldn’t be luckier!

• jerseygirl
                      22342 posts Send Private Message

For your one and only photo, that’s a pretty nice one! Her fur looks satiny. You did give her safe shelter, human interaction & food & water as you said. I’m sure she was appreciative. She’d approve of you today and what you do for her kind. She may even binky over it – so Binky Free Lazer!

• babybunsmum
                        Participant
                        3896 posts Send Private Message

what a beaufiul bun! lol markus… i think the same thing about my first bun, binky. he’s seeing how spoiled baby was in her later years & how pinky is now and he’s thinking he got ripped off. lol. maryann was def meant to be your next bun

bb i love your outlook about this. its exctly what drew me to this forum when baby was having her surgery in ’07 and when i was realizing how much better i could have looked after her upto that point.

• MarkBun
                          Participant

Some of my favorite memories of her:

-Her entire mission in life was to hop up on my bed and pee on my pillow. That’s all she ever wanted to do. I would make a wall of folded clothes on the long edge of my bed an open up my foot locker for the top to be the wall on the short edge. That way I could leave the room for a drink and not come back to a wet pillow. Well when I was returning from the kitchen I heard a crash. I ran in to find the lid of my footlocker down. You know like I knew then. I opened up the lid and there was Lazer, looking a little confused as to why the world went dark when she tried to hurdle my footlocker.

-She hated me. She would pee on my bed, she would pee under my bed, she’d pee around my bed. She’d run from me, she’d grunt at me – although she never did swat or bite. However, when my college roommate would come into the room, she’d hop on over to him and periscope up for head pets. He ALWAYS got the women…

-One day my roommie brought his nephew of 8 years old to college and he wanted to see the bunny. For some reason, I instinctively knew that Lazer didn’t like children (she was from a pet shop so probably bad memories). But I took her out, put her on my bed and petted her down and then told him he could pet her between the ears. He did so and she seemed just fine. Sitting there, ears up and looking rather happy. Then the nephew stopped petting her, put his hand down on the bed in front of her and turned his head to see something else. Like a ninja, Lazer’s ears immedately went back, she hunkered down and I could tell a lunge was soon to come. I dove to the bed and caught her before she lept.

-Not a fond memory but something I laugh about now. When I went home, there was an outdoor cat run my mom made for the cats of the house (who were, of course, terrified of my monster) that was basically a fenced in area adjacent to the house. I would put Lazer out there often for fresh air and exercise. Well one day my older brother came home and brought his syberian husky. He came running into the back yard, Lazer took one look at him and then came speeding towards me and actually tried to leap into my arms (she’d do that at the vets all the time). Unfortunately, she forgot about the fence between us and bounced off of it. I grabbed the dog (who thought a live chase toy was the neatest thing!) and walked it around the side of the house so that I could then go get my rabbit.

-The cats. So there’s Lazer running around the house for the first time. She gets under the coffee table and one of the cats come out to see what it is all about. There she is, ears back, bunny loafed and the cat is about 6 inches from her. The cat puts a paw up into the air, over Lazer’s head and then slowly begins to lower it, then pulls it back up, lower it a bit more, pull it back up – like a cartoon slowly sinking into a hot tub. Well the moment that paw brushed her fur, Lazer grunted and lunged and the cat jumped! Unfortunately for the cat, it was also under the coffee table so whack on the head and a dart away. And Lazer just went back to loafing.

• RabbitPam

LOL!!!
                              Those are great stories. You find these tough bunnies – they’re like Biker Chicks. Biker Buns and their Slave, Markusdark.

• jerseygirl

She was feisty! No wonder you lament Maryann’s feminine traits sometimes – Lazer primed you! Hate is a strong word, imo, she didn’t hate you but she did punish you! I also don’t think she had such a bad life as you may think. Your standards are high for their care now due to your understanding of them.
                                Pam – biker buns? Lol. Do they wear bandanas and have multiple tatoos inside there ears?

• MarkBun
                                Participant

Posted By jerseygirl on 04/08/2009 08:43 PM 

Pam – biker buns? Lol. Do they wear bandanas and have multiple tatoos inside there ears?

• jerseygirl

Ha! Typical stocky looking biker!  He looks familiar…wonder which gang he runs with?

I couldn’t resist taking it futher-

Now I just want to see his Biker Chick!

(Sorry if inappropriate to post this here btw)

• RabbitPam

LOL jersey you put a tiny skull on his shirt!!!
                                      I have to go to work soon or I’d do something with Maryanne. Markus? Hint…

• MimzMum
                                      Participant
                                      8029 posts Send Private Message

I wonder if Lazer pretty much figured she could take care of herself, what better use could she put this human too? Hmmm…comic relief? ^_^

The more you share with us about her, Markus, the more I think you two were actually well suited, even if it didn’t seem so at the time. You both learned a lot from each other.

That biker rabbit reminds me…I supposed a rousing chorus of “B-B-B-B-BAD TO THE BUN” would be pushing it too far, hm?

• Beka27
                                        Participant
                                        16016 posts Send Private Message

What a beautiful bun! Hugs to you!

Binky Free Lazer!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE My first rabbit, Lazer