Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Ello :D {img heavy}

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
    • Wasabi
      Participant
      27 posts Send Private Message

So after visiting this place a few times, and stalking it for a couple of days, I decided to join.

I’m on several other animal-based forums, but none of them help me in this… peculiar obsession.

I’m 22 years old and live in the south-west corner of Missouri. I share my house with a “few” pets: one boyfriend, three cats, five dogs, five horses, and um, eight bunnies >.> You’ll eventually meet them all since they’re all pretty much my life; you’ll probably hear more about the boyfriend in fact, as he’s harder to train than my rabbits and my man-eatting horse >.> I’m self employed for the most part at the moment; I do webdesign and professional photography, along with art commissions – it leaves me with a lot of free time, actually ;D I am looking into trying to start a career in dog grooming as I think I’d enjoy it more, but it’s been rough going due to funds (the local school wants you to drop $3000 all at once! ugh!) or finding a job as an assistant to an established groomer that’s willing to teach. So, bleh.

My mother grew up having rabbits, but I didn’t get to have my own till I was about in fourth grade, so 9-10 years old. We had several, and we lost the last one, my sister’s, in 2008 due to old age – my personal ones had passed a several years before him, so I was bunny-less for that duration. After that I went bunny-less till late 2008, where I brought home a mixed Hotot doe named Wasabi and she basically ran my household up until late 2009 when she somehow escaped from my house. I put up a ton of posters for her, and got a call from someone saying that a fox got her D: She’s what really got me into loving rabbits even more than I did in my childhood, so that explains my user name. 

So anyway, as said, I’ve got eight hopping, chewing trouble makers >.>

It’s been a fad since my childhood to give them food based names.
        In the past I’ve used: Oreo, Snickers, Oreo, Cake, Cajun, and Wasabi. It’s super fun

I don’t really have any decent pictures of, um, six of them so I’ll try and humor you as best a possible LOL. Here in Missouri we have crappy weather and from like October till March it’s cold, cloudy, wet, and miserable outdoors which is where I usally take my pictures; better lighting and stuff. I can take them indoors, but it’s a bit difficult to accomplish – a couple of them are rescues and go all “O____O” if I do anything odd to them LOL.

I may try and get more pictures tomorrow as several cages need litters and things cleaned >.>

I’ll show a few of my favorites of Wasabi:

Next we have Sashimi, a Harlequin Holland Lop that I recieved in April as a birthday present, to myself lol.
        She and Wasabi hated each other at first – took over a month to get them bonded, but one day they just clicked.
        Her name means “raw fish”, but I originally thought it meant “ginger” and by the time I learned this it was to late to change it LOL.

A Sashimi doodled I did yesterday XD

Miso (as in, Miso Soup) is a chestnut agouti Lop Mix. I did a paper route of the local newspaper in a redneck part of town, and found her and her daughter, Onigiri, on the curb at 4 am in the morning one day. She’s the smallest of my bunch, but looks so stocky that you don’t think she’s a light weight till you pick her up! Took two-three days for her to bond with Wasabi and Sashimi, but a week or so ago I had to remove her from the group because she kept plucking out Sashimi’s hair! So, lol, now I’m back to bonding them back together again to see if alone time cured anything.

Onigiri (rice ball) is Miso’s REW daughter, and her ears are a bit more quirky than Miso’s lol.
        She was bonded Tamago, but I recently had her removed from him due to him not being a girl like I thought he was. Than somehow she caught a case of the snuffles, so she’s been solitarely for a while now as it seems to come and go DX. Plans were originally to put her back with her mother, as she’s old enough now not to get beat up, but clearly that’s still not a good idea.

Her pictures are dated, so I’m only going to post one LOL

After that we’ve got Tamago! or in english, Egg! XD I got him at 5 weeks from a women on craigslist that didn’t want them in her house anymore. My first dutch was a hell-raiser, so I bit iffy about him, but he’s pretty fantastic He’s a chocolate. I didn’t learn till about a month ago that she, was actually a he. A lot of our guests enjoy him and he’s very personable lol. He plays with our kittens for hours on end and it’s so funny to watch him randomly flop over when he’s out of breath.

The only current picture I have of him is off my phone >.> So it’s icky quality.

Then after that I took in two sister Dutch rabbits that flip out at everything due to lack of socialization! They basically shared a cage that barely let them stretch out in before I brought them home. Pepper at the time was a fear biter. Awesome. The black one is Pepper, and the torti is Poptart. Pepper is scared of pratically everything, but Poptart isn’t so bad. I haven’t had any behavioral issues other than ridicuious fear of stupid things LOL. They’re share a huge cage with Sashimi (and used to be, Miso) and are actually my best behaved so far o.O They’re quite reserved compared to everybody else. The picture below is when I first got them.

GLAZE, as in the icing you find on donuts LOL. This little lop man stole my heart at the humane society. I have no idea what color he is and it drives me insane lol. He loathes being picked up but will harass you constantly to be loved on lol. I honestly try to stick to all girls, but I couldn’t resist him. He and Tamago both haven’t been neutered yet as I’m still in the process of finding a vet that doesn’t charge more than a $150 for a spay/neuter x_x My cats only cost $35 to get snipped so that price is a bit over the top in my opinion.

AND FINALLY. Pikanya! Who I’ve had since this Wedsenday. My life felt a bit empty without a broken black running around D: She’s from a surprise litter, half Japanese Harliquin, half who knows (probably another meat breed, as we have a lot of those around here), and at 7 weeks old she’s already half the size of Miso LOL She’s going to be my big rabbit, as my current heavy weight is Sashimi at probably 5 pounds. Her name actually isn’t food based and was going to be reserved for a cat but omg I could resist calling her that LOL.

This picture is from when I was picking her up. I haven’t taken any since as I like them to adjust before I torture them with my camera lol.

Since I wrote a huge novel, there’s probably a lot of typos >.>
        So… anyway…

Hi, my name is Brandee, and I like bunnies o.O;;

• Lintini
        Participant
        3329 posts Send Private Message

Wow!!! Welcome! I love all your photos!

• Monkeybun
          Participant
          10479 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! You are so lucky to have a bf that puts up with that many pets lol. My hubby would never let me have that many… meanie.

I have to say tho, $150 is a dang good price. I paid over 200 for Monkey to get spayed, for a boy it would have been about $175. Bunnies are exotic pets, so they take different training, which makes them pricier to get fixed… so 150 is dang good!

I <3 dutch buns, I have one of my own… Moose. I name mine after different animals lol. Although together, mine are M&Ms hehe

• Wasabi
            Participant

Thanks Litini <3 I'm going to steal your himmi LOL.

Lol and Monkeybun, he’s… just very stupid… and easy LOL.
              He also met me when I already had two dogs and the five horses… so he’s suffered from the start and learned to deal with it early.

But wow, really!? Gees. I didn’t think they were so high up, much less an exotic pet. Around here rabbits are like chickens or goats, so I figured they wouldn’t be so bad and vets regularly saw them, but I guess not. Like, my dog/cat vet can treat ear infections for less than $40, but he won’t spay/neuter them and the process of finding a vet just for my rabbits has been daunting thus far. It costs $35 to neuter a cat, $45 to spay a cat, $75 to neuter a dog, and $85 to spay a dog at my vet of 15 years so I’m super spoiled.

No wonder finding a spayed or neutered rabbit around here is a rare thing D:
              I was told that a vet in another city over neutered/spayed them for $60, but I haven’t checked that source yet due to it being the weekend.

• Monkeybun
              Participant

Make sure to find a rabbit vet, your typical vet is usually for cats/dogs, and they wont know how to neuter/spay rabbits.. the house rabbit society page has vet listings for rabbits that they reccomend, might be able to find one nearish you there. http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

• jerseygirl
                22338 posts Send Private Message

Welcome What a beautiful bunch of bunnies! Love the names too. For some reason not all the pix loaded for me :o( but I can see at least one of each bunny. Looking forward to seeing your other animals too. That’s so sad about Wasabi though. Binky Free Wasabi !

• Beka27
                  Participant
                  16016 posts Send Private Message

Welcome here! Your buns are gorgeous. I am sorry to hear about Wasabi’s unfortunate passing. She was a beautiful girl.

You answered my question when I was scrolling thru your thread… are all these buns altered… It is so important that they get spay/neutered, not just for pregnancy prevention, but most importantly for the high risk of uterine cancer in females over the age of 3-4 years. I agree that $150 is an amazing price. Many of our members have paid upwards of $400 to spay a female. It is a delicate procedure but completely safe with an experienced rabbit vet. Check out the vet that may be able to do it for $60. It would be worth the drive, especially if you could maybe get a few done at a time…

• Lintini
                    Participant
                    3329 posts Send Private Message

Oohhh…I don’t know Wasabi if Bun (my himi) would let you put your hand in the cage to get her without telling you off with some grunts first! But if you do manage to bun-nap her…You will be missing your Wasabi shortly after! *snatches and runs*

I wish I could have that many rabbits! I would have to sell my car to pay for all the vet bills! The way I keep going I could end up with many more but I swear no more. SERIOUSLY.

• Monkeybun
                      Participant

Uh huh. Thats what you said after Indy hehe.

• Wasabi
                        Participant

^ROFL. Wasabi had a super grumby, diva attitude. She always gave me dirty “I’M JUDGING YOU!” looks XD. Like this:

“WOMEN WHAT YOU WANT NAO!?”

Honestly I’m only supposed to have like, four! LOL Miso, Onigiri, Pepper and Poptart were bunnies I collected from abandonment and the like >.> Miso and Onigiri were on the curb in a box labeled “free bunnies” and Pepper and Poptart were found in a foreclosed home by a friend of my mom’s. There’s not a single bunny rescue in my area unless you drive out about two-three hours away so bunnies get dropped like this all the time :/

Like, not just a few months after I found Miso and Onigiri I saw a rew Rex running around free in the same neighborhood and I think I spent over an hour trying to catch it everyday for about two weeks at 4am in the morning but it’d always give me the slip by going under some house’s fence and I honestly didn’t want to get shot that bad ;_; Than some bad weather hit and I hadn’t seen it since. I’m still upset that I couldn’t catch it.

• (dig)x(me)x(now)
                          Participant
                          2517 posts Send Private Message

Wow, that’s a lot of bunlets! I praised them already in the other thread, but they deserve more praise! Sooo cute! Welcome to BB :]

• MarkBun
                            Participant
                            2842 posts Send Private Message

• MirBear
                              Participant
                              1412 posts Send Private Message

aweee.. i wish my mom would let me have that many…

wasabi looks like a cat kinda on the first pic.. she has the pose like shes about to pounce on something

• Barbie
                                Participant
                                1581 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! They are so cute! It’s great that you’re rescuing lots of bunnies and giving them nice cushy homes!

• Edda
                                  Participant
                                  32 posts Send Private Message

Omg, your babies are adorable! How cute! And great pics, love it… awww

• wiseleyd
                                    Participant
                                    236 posts Send Private Message

I love them! Awww….

• corpathina
                                      Participant
                                      326 posts Send Private Message

wasabi and MJ could totally be cousins. very beautiful buns.

i have to ask – what kind of camera do you have? these shots are great! i’m in the market for a good camera.

• LoveChaCha
                                        Participant
                                        6634 posts Send Private Message

oh my gosh! lovely rabbits.. with Japanese names LOL
                                          mine is named koucha.. which means black tea!!

HURRAY FOR FOOD NAMES!!

We are both the same age Awesome!!

Nice to see people of ALL ages on here! YAY!!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Ello :D {img heavy}