Forum

OUR SITE IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS. YOU WON’T BE ABLE TO LOGIN YET.   WE WILL ANNOUNCE WHEN READY. THE SITE MAY BE SLOW, SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT.  YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Home Page Forums RESCUE EFFORTS FOR SHELTERS Rubies – Sweetest Bunny Breed Ever

This topic contains 38sd replies, has 7,849 voices, and was last updated by  LongEaredLions 4 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
  • DaisyBunz
    Participant
    148 posts Send Private Message

I love rubies – they are frequently at shelters. People say they are the most affectionate rabbit breed ever. They are used in laboratories – its so sad. I don’t know why people hate them because of their eyes…..

Sarita
    Participant
    18884 posts Send Private Message

I love REW’s as well – I don’t currently have one but I have owned many including Californians and New Zealands and if I ever got another rabbit it would be a REW.

DaisyBunz
    Participant

I love them! If I ever adopt another rabbit(I have adopted all of my three rabbits) I will look for a Ruby. They are often neglected in hutches as meat rabbits because they have such good meat….That also saddens me. ): 

ADOPT DON’T SHOP!

Sarita
    Participant
    18884 posts Send Private Message

Here are some of my REW’s (they have all gone to the Bridge now) and all were either strays or from local shelters….Emmy (Rex), Giselle, Jingles, Maxine, Panda.

DaisyBunz
    Participant

They look so sweet! My first rabbit was mixed with a REW and a Dwarf Hotot – loved her to pieces.

LongEaredLions
    Participant
    4601 posts Send Private Message

I think everybody here knows I am a complete sucker for the REWs. I have never had a rabbit who isn’t one. I just don’t understand how anybody could hate them because of the color of their eyes. I think they are beautiful, I have had four of these lil devils and I love them to death!

Zombie-Sue
    Participant
    873 posts Send Private Message

I think one problem with REWs is similar to the problem shelters have with black animals. Pictures on websites are so important right now to get pets adopted, and you have to take special care to make REWs look good.

DaisyBunz
    Participant

That’s just terrible that people shy away from an animal just because of appearance. Black bunnies are absolutely adorable – my Lily is the sweetest!!

Zombie-Sue
    Participant

It’s not so much appearance as personality in photos. You can’t make out features on a black animal very well, it makes it harder to connect with it.

REWs I think have the same thing–The camera just picks up on that glowing red eye and people don’t notice anything else. I think with the right photography, black animals and REWs would have a better chance.

Deleted User
    Participant
    17543 posts Send Private Message

Rubies are so cute! ^-^ I hate the idea of meat/fur rabbits. God put on this planet to protect our animals, not hurt them in any way possible.

unknownphoenix
    Participant
    97 posts Send Private Message

Both mine and my fiance’s rabbits are ruby eyes. Our male (Kern) is a Californian/dwarf mix and our female (Bleu) is a New Zealand/Californian mix. When we first walked into the room where the humane society kept the rabbits as soon as Bleu saw us she perked up and wanted attention. I fell in love instantly. The majority of rabbits at the humane society are ruby eyed. Its so sad that people don’t want them. Whenever anyone comes over and sees our bunnies the first thing they comment on is their red eyes. Its frustrating that they don’t see their adorable happy faces first and go right for the “scary” red eyes

DaisyBunz
    Participant

I think videos help. Shelters often post videos of black rabbits or REWs so they can see the personality. The picture here of this REW lop mix is good lighting, and good camera work. The key is to get a good camera and have the REW by a source of natural light. I think they are beautiful, but not all people see that right away. In most shelters, pictures are often by harsh, unnatural light, and the flash usual goes off. Then, the rubies get the eye glow. I think it’s cruel that people just discard any idea of adopting these animals because of the way they look. 

Zombie-Sue
    Participant

I agree, but not all shelter staff know a whole lot about technology or psychology unfortunately!

DaisyBunz
    Participant

Agreed. It’s unfortunate, yes.
    (By the way, on the topic of black rabbits, your buns are adorable! The last two look like Rex rabbits. I used to have a black Rex bunny. Name was Lillian.

Zombie-Sue
    Participant

Actually, the one on the LEFT is part rex, and the other two are Havana/New Zealand mixes LOL.

And thank you =) Rex fur is nice.

Lulu_rose
    Participant
    25 posts Send Private Message

i’m going to be adopting pretty soon, and I’m hoping to find a NZW in need of a home! I’ve heard they have great, affectionate personalities… I see past those ruby eyes. I think they’re beautiful! I love these Alice in Wonderland bunnies! (The rabbit with the watch I believe is supposed to be a NZW)

DaisyBunz
    Participant

That’s great, Lulu! 

Nice to hear! I just LOVE Rubies.

tobyluv
    Participant
    3272 posts Send Private Message

One of my current rabbits is a ruby eyed white New Zealand. We adopted her from the shelter last year, and we think she’s beautiful. She was there for several months, while other rabbits (lops, spotted, etc.) got adopted ahead of her. It is very sad that some people don’t like that breed, and would never consider getting one.

DaisyBunz
    Participant

I totally agree, tobyluv. Makes me want to adopt all of the NewZeas(LOL, just made that up) in the whole world. But of course, I can’t. Promoting the adoptions of these sweethearts will have to suffice.

Thump
    Participant
    59 posts Send Private Message

My NZ is the best bunny in the world. There is no reason for the bunny population to continue because Mr. Bunny has achieved evolutionary perfection. He is big, cute, sweet, cuddly, lovable, squeezable, and silly. His eyes match his pink ears and he’d look weird with any other color.

Here’s proof:

DaisyBunz
    Participant

They’re such big, gentle giants! I heard they are much like Flemish Giants.
    By the way, those are adorable pictures. Love the reindeer antlers – cute!

jerseygirl
    22116 posts Send Private Message

Aw Thump, he’s awesome. : )

Well I can vouch for these guys being real sweeties. I’ve had the pleasure of having this b-REW-tiful girl in my care for many weeks.
    She’s a little timid but the personality beyond that is making an appearance.

photo image_zps98fb994c.jpg

photo image_zps3681fa1a.jpg

photo image_zps1e1db449.jpg

photo image_zps89f816a0.jpg

RabbitPam
    11102 posts Send Private Message

No, though I love their looks.

BUT I had a REW guinea pig as my pet when I was a teenager. Albino!

LongEaredLions
    Participant
    4601 posts Send Private Message

Yay for REW bunnies and piggies(have a few of both myself!)!

AndHenry
    Participant
    4555 posts Send Private Message

You know it’s funny (read this thread earlier when first created and just did a catch up), I only chose (asked for) Henry cause my dog’s are black & white and white, so wanted a ‘brown’ bunny. If my dog’s had of been black and or brown I would have wanted a ‘white’ bunny. It never occurred to me the ‘ruby’ eye’s? and I wouldn’t have cared. Never gave the eye colour a second thought. There you go…..
    I must be more dohey than I thought – why do people not like the ruby eye colour?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.