Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pepper getting spayed.

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
    • Firsttimer
      Participant
      144 posts Send Private Message

I can’t believe I’ve done it but I’ve finally booked Pepper in to be spayed.  It’s pretty scary but I know it’s for the best.  I’m just worried about the aftercare.  When I booked I didn’t get to speak to a vet today so I still have so many questions.  Can anyone talk me through it.  Will she had stitches, how quickly will she recover, will she get medication to help her recover???

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Congratulations! I know this is stressful.

Many of these questions you will need to ask the vet directly as each vet has their different protocols and procedures.

For instance my current vet does dissovable stitches, the one prior did stitches and/or staples so only your vet can answer this question.

I would say that it normally takes a full 3 days for them to get back to normal. Don’t expect that in 24 hours they will be back active and eating, that won’t happen.

You will need to ask the vet if you can take pain medication home – my vet will do this and hopefully yours will as well and there are several types of pain medications that can be prescribed so again you will need to confer with your vet on this.

• Gravehearted
          Participant
          2428 posts Send Private Message

I’m so glad to hear you’ve booked her spay, I know how scary it seems!
            I would call the vet’s office back and ask them to have one of the vet techs talk to you, so they can answer your questions.

I’d agree with Sarita, Pepper will likely be a bit out of it the day she comes home and it will take a few days for her to start feeling better. It’s likely that she won’t want to eat the day you bring her home, but the next day she should be interesting in eating. kale and sniffy herbs are popular choices to encourage bunnies to eat.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Congrats Lorna! That’s a big step for a bunny mommy! I thought you might want to read first-hand postings on spaying, so I’ve looked them up for you:

https://binkybunny.com/Default.aspx?tabid=54&forumid=2&tpage=1&view=topic&postid=6000#6018

I’ll keep Pepper in my thoughs on her big day and hope for a speedy recovery and healthy appetite.  I know you must be so nervous leaving your baby in the hands of someone else but I am sure she’ll get the best care possible.

• BELLASGRANDMA
              Participant
              17 posts Send Private Message

Hi!  We just had our little holland lop, Bella, spayed last week.  I know how scary it was for us.  She came home that evening and just slept. She picked at a piece or two of hay but really wasn’t too interested in eating or drinking. Our vet used absorbable sutures just under the skin, so there’s nothing for her to chew on or need to be removed (ha, like they would still be there).  The post op instructions were to leave her in her cage, no running around, for 3 days.  They said we could pick her up (one hand under each end, scoop like) and let her sit quietly on our laps, level, no standing on her hindlegs, during that 3 day period.  We were to check the incision daily for redness, swelling or discharge, and to call if there was any of that.  The first 24 hrs. she hopped around her cage and even on top of her house, and did okay with that.  With each 24 hrs she ate and drank a little bit more.  She was only eating about a quarter of what she normally does those first 2 days..  We did get some metcam, pain reliever, from the vet.  If you get pain meds, make sure you know if they gave any that day and when you should start it. and how long to give it. We gave pain meds to Bella for 3 days then she seemed fine without it.  By the end of the 2nd day home she was feeling pretty much like herself and eating and drinking like a pig. Canned Pumpkin is her fav and was a great inticer to get her to eat.  Good luck! Don’t be afraid to ask questions of your vet, that’s what you pay them for.  Diane

• Firsttimer
                Participant

Only seven days until the big op. Still nervous but completely sure it’s the best thing for her.  Her toilet habits are disgusting now, I hope that improves! Also she keeps peeing on me, and I keep falling for the cute routine and it happens again!  Apart from that she has the sweetest temperament and I managed to cut her nails for the first time without a bit.  She hates being held so that was difficult.  But I can work on that trust after she has recovered.

• Firsttimer
                  Participant

Caught in the act

1127333444571.jpg

• Sarita
                    Participant

She’s so pretty! Do keep us updated on her big spay day.

• MarkBun
                      Participant
                      2842 posts Send Private Message

My bun’s after spaying was rather easy. Of course, I fretted over her like a crazy parent but she was really fine. I’m not sure what was on the inside but the outside skin was literally glued together with super glue (which is what the stuff was originally invented for). She licked at it a couple of times, I checked, it was fine eventhough my mind tried to find anything wrong with it.

I truly believe that more stress and discomfort is on the side of the parent and not of the bun.

• MooBunnay
                        Participant
                        3087 posts Send Private Message

Good luck with the spay! It is not as scary as it seems – I was very nervous when I took my first bunny into get spayed – even cried a bit in the car before I dropped him off but all weny well, and he was all ready to go home when I picked him up! For girls it is tougher than for boys, so it will take her a couple days to get ready. My normal recommendation for spays is to leave the carrier in the cage with them (but take the door off) so they can use that for a litter box for a couple days, because it is easier for them to walk in and out of there rather than for them to be hopping over the sides of their normal carrier and risk baning their spay scar on the side. Of course, put litter and hay in the carrier if you do this. Le us know how you are doing!! ( I say YOU and not the BUNNY because I think it’ll probably be harder on you than the bun )

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant
                          12067 posts Send Private Message

Good for you! Keep us posted! She’ll be great!

• skunklionshow
                            Participant
                            1257 posts Send Private Message

I remember how nervous I was w/ little Jessi.  She had 3 days of cage rest, but we were told to limit her levels for 5-7 days total.  We removed her jumping post level and she still found a way to ease on up her cage.  Now w/ so many bunny anesthesias under my belt, I’ve learned to keep critical care, strawberry ensure, and baby food on hand.  Jessi was a lump when she came home from her surgery.  She layed in her litterbox the whole night.  Even the next morning she was little out of it.  We had to force feed her for several days.

Each vet chooses their own surgery closure technique.  Ours used dissolving stitches, but a small piece hadn’t desolved by her check up/follow up. Jessi also came home w/ pain meds and silvadine creme, to keep her incision moist and non-itchy.  Good Luck, she’s a real beauty!

• Gravehearted
                              Participant
                              2428 posts Send Private Message

sending good wishes that all will go ok during her spay.

• Firsttimer
                                Participant

Phewww!.  Pepper has been in surgery and is now home.  She seemed a little dozy but then when I started to lift her from her carry box to her cage she decided she’d rather run around the living room and jump over her cardboard house.  Ouch, she didn’t seem bothered.  Anyway, when she went into the cardboard house I picked the whole thing up with her inside and put it all in the cage.  She’s now looking more woozy than ever and has even done a mistaken backflip while trying to use the litter box (now removed and replaced with newspaper). 

I’m so relieved, when I left her at the surgery this morning the nurse told me all about the risk compared to cats and dogs and I manged to leave the building before crying.  I felt so guilty. 

She looks like such a poor soul as the vet has put one of those cones on her head to stop her from chewing and she just bashes into everything.  Still havent discovered if she’ll be able to reach the food with it on.  She’s been drinking water but no food yet. 

Anyway, thanks to everyone on Binkybunny, I don’t know what I’d do without this site.

• babybunsmum
                                  Participant
                                  3896 posts Send Private Message

awww.  healing vibes to Pepper so she heals up nice & quickly.  i know… its so hard to leave them behind at the vet’s.  i cried my whole drive home after Baby went in for surgery.  then when you get to pick them up you’re so relieved its easier to take that they’re out of character & groggy.  good that she’s drinking… keep a close eye on her to be sure she starts eating & pooping.  hope you can post an update again soon!

• Sarita
                                    Participant

I’m glad her surgery is all done – I know it’s a relief to you. How long does the vet want her to wear the cone? Maybe you can take it off when you feed her….hopefully she won’t gnaw at her stitches.

• Firsttimer
                                      Participant

At the moment I she is making random attempts to take the cone off herself and to kick her stiches with a back foot, unsuccessfully.  I’m supposed to leave it on for ten days but I’ll see how she gets on and decide what to do when I see how she gets on with the food.

• Firsttimer
                                        Participant

Delighted with Pepper’s progress, she is eating and pooping again with no problems. Poor soul still can’t figure out the cone round her head but she’ll get used to it.

• babybunsmum
                                          Participant

she’s able to eat with it on?  i wondered about that.  Baby did well enough not bothering her incision line at the vet’s that they didn’t give her a cone.  they just cautioned me that she’d need one if she starts to get at it… but this never happened.  sooo great to hear she’s eating & pooping   phew!

• Beka27
                                            Participant
                                            16016 posts Send Private Message

my vet never even mentioned a cone…  maybe she was already trying to get the stitches while she was there…?  i’m glad to hear everything went well… i’m guesing they didn’t do the dissolvable kind?

• Firsttimer
                                              Participant

Well today I discovered that she had got herself in a terrible mess overnight, poop all over her and all over her cone, no idea what she’s been trying to do. Anyway I took it all off and cleaned everything up and she didn’t want me to put the cone back on so I put her in the cage to see what she’d do without it. It was only ten minutes before she started tugging on the stiches so the cone is now back on. Not the dissolvable kind, she’s to have them taken out on 22nd. I’ve gone back to putting her corner litter tray in her cage instead of the newspaper on the floor, but we’ve discovered she cant manage it with the cone on, so I’m off to buy a cat litter tray.

• Hannah
                                                Participant
                                                274 posts Send Private Message

;___; Poor Pepper sounds very unhappy. I would be upset it I had a cone on my head, too! I wonder why your vet chose to use regular stitches instead of the dissolvable ones or glue? Glue is difficult to pull at…

• babybunsmum
                                                  Participant

poor bun!  sounds like theres alot of extra work for you with that dang cone.  i’ll be wishing the 22nd comes quickly for you!

• DustBunneh'sMama
                                                    Participant
                                                    77 posts Send Private Message

I wonder if the poo on the cone has anything to do with her trying to eat her cecals in the middle of the night and having trouble maneuvering to do it?  That might be the case. But, if she’s going to try to pull her stitches out, there’s no other option. I hope her digestive process doesn’t get too disrupted by this. Poor girl. I’m going to have to remember when I take my guy in for his neutering to ask the vet to do the glue instead of actual stitches. We will all send healing vibes her way.

• Firsttimer
                                                      Participant

I’ve been giving Pepper a wipe down every morning with a wet cloth and some grooming wipes I got at the pet shop because she looks lovely and clean all day but then she must just get down and dirty when the lights are out because she’s filthy in the morning and caked in poop. This has been easy enough so far (luckily I work flexible hours at the office) but this morning has been different. She now looks like a punk chick as no matter how much I wiped and brushed her the black hair insists on spiking and the gray undercoat looks a little clumpy. It looks terrible. Has anyone got any suggestions on grooming her? I’m not keen to give her a shallow bath because she’s a very nervous rabbit and I wouldn’t be sure about the stiches area. She wiffs a bit too even after being wiped down.

• Firsttimer
                                                        Participant

Phew, phoned the vet and have been told I’m allowed to take her cone off supervised so she can clean herself.

• babybunsmum
                                                          Participant

oh thats good… she’ll be glad for the reprieve too i’m sure.  poor little punker dear. 

• Scarlet_Rose
                                                            Participant
                                                            4293 posts Send Private Message

Poor Pepper! I am glad you can take the cone off though so she can get a small reprieve!

• Firsttimer
                                                              Participant

Woohoo Pepper and I are both relieved that her stitches came out today and the cone is gone. Time for the cleaning project to commense pepper!

• babybunsmum
                                                                Participant

yay!  no more stitches   glad you both pulled through!

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Pepper getting spayed.