Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! NEW BUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viewing 47 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lunar~Atticus
      Participant
      209 posts Send Private Message

IM GETTING A NEW BUNNY!!!!!

I am getting a male Flemish giant/ new zealand cross. it was an oops and they are selling the babies instead of giving them away so for one people who arent serious wont inquire and for two, people with hungry snakes wont inquire!!

im sooo excited!! moose is getting fixed end of the month, luna next month he will be after luna!

i cant wait, i dont get him for a few more days but i am sooo happy. and i am going to be rearranging my room so the buns are no longer on carpet…moose is destroying it! lol

• mocha200
        Participant
        4486 posts Send Private Message

thats Great! do you have any pics?

• Karla
          Participant
          1624 posts Send Private Message

Congrats on your third. I agree with mocha – where are the pictures??

• Lunar~Atticus
            Participant

i just brought him home tonite and at 7 weeks old…he is already 7-8LBS!!!!! he is a brindle and white male…..no name yet and i will get pics up of him asap!

• Lintini
              Participant
              3329 posts Send Private Message

EeEe!! Congrats!!! *gets out a huge poke stick and hands another to Karla and Mocha…*

• Nibbles_NZ
                Participant
                751 posts Send Private Message

7-8 lbs at 7 weeks? Are you sure of his age? I don’t mean to sound like a know it all (I am definetly not one lol). I have a New Zealand and know people with Flemish Giants. It just doesn’t sound right.

• Nibbles_NZ
                  Participant

I’m sorry, I really meant to say congrats and that it’s exciting! I love BIG bunnies!

• Sarita
                    Participant
                    18851 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Nibbles_NZ, that’s way too big at 7 weeks of age even for a Flemish Giant.

• Nibbles_NZ
                      Participant

Big breed rabbits doesn’t mean big babies at all. They are small when they are that young, just like any other rabbit. They aren’t full grown for 12-18 months. Most rabbits don’t take very long before they reach thier maximum weight. If your bunny is really 7-8 lbs, I’m guessing it is atleast 4 or 5 months old…Atleast.

• aerina519
                        Participant
                        5 posts Send Private Message

Our Flemish/New Zealand babies were born on 3/12 and weigh in at 3lbs each right now… buuuut congratulations n can’t wait to see pics!! 

• Lunar~Atticus
                          Participant

i have pictures and i have weighted him. he is actually only 5lbs…my mistake. excitment took over and i get carried away when excited! i ahve ALWAYS wanted a flemish!

EVERYBODY>>>MEET “ATTICUS”

and here is Luna….after she lost her baby fur…she yelled at me that i better show her off too!

i know there is a lot….im sorry!!!

• Nibbles_NZ
                            Participant

Don’t be sorry at all! They are beautiful! I am with you on the wanting a flemish giant. I looked for one everywhere before I got my NZ. He is so adorable! I love big bunnies. Have you ever seen a German Giant? http://weeklyecho.com/blog/media/1/20060414-giant_rabbit.jpg Sorry, off the subject of your rabbits.

Did you say that you have 2 unaltered bunnies? This is your third? You are brave! LOL I asked my Husband for a third and he was not about to let me do that! LOL I will some day though.

• LoveChaCha
                              Participant
                              6634 posts Send Private Message

AAWWWWWWWWWWWW WHAT A KYOOTIE PIES

• Lunar~Atticus
                                Participant

right now they are not fixed, moose gets done is 2 weeks (she will be 5 mionths), luna in june when she turns 5 months and buck when he turns 5 months!

• Beka27
                                  Participant
                                  16016 posts Send Private Message

What a precious bunny! I someday want to have a bun bigger than 5 pounds! He’s got gorgeous coloring!

• HatterBunny
                                    Participant
                                    269 posts Send Private Message

WOW! I love his ears! Both of your buns are beautiful!

• Nibbles_NZ
                                      Participant

I agree, his coloring is gorgeous! I love big bunnies! I thought my Baxter was going to be a BIG bunny! I wonder how big he will get since he is a mix of Flemish Giant and New Zealand. I will someday have a Flemish Giant!

• Lunar~Atticus
                                        Participant

oh nibbles, i have ALWAYS wanted a flemish giant and i said the same thing…i will one day have my flemish! even though it isnt a purebred, he is EXACTLY what i was looking!!! even though you cant tell in the pics, but one of his ears is 1/4″ longer then the other…it is sooo cute. he is just a sweet heart! he doesnt overly care for pellets though…should i be concerned? he loves his hay and is drinking good.

not too sure if i am going to keep the name “Buck”, i just hate having pets without a name. what do you guys thing about his name as “Buck”???? Any other suggestions?

• Nibbles_NZ
                                          Participant

Well I will tell ya, I don’t think the purebreds are AS pretty as him. They are pretty, but they don’t have the markings he does. As for a name, I would go with a manly name since he is a big boy. lol. I am thinking….I am not very good at this. Honestly, the first pic you posted sort of reminds me of a puppy.lol I think it is the way he has his head down and turned…really melts your heart

• Nibbles_NZ
                                            Participant

As far as the pellets go, is he eating any at all? For a Large breed bunny, they really do eat a lot….mine does anyway. What about his fecals? Are they normal? If he is eating a lot of hay and drinking a lot of water and his fecals are normal. I wouldn’t be overly concerned. Maybe give your vet a call and just ask.

• Lunar~Atticus
                                              Participant

he isnt eating a lot of pellets, takes him 2 days to finish 1/2 cup and yet luna can finish a 1/4 cup in a nite but he is drinking a normal amount of water and likes his hay. his poops are very normal.

• Nibbles_NZ
                                                Participant

What kind of pellets did he have before? Did he eat them well then? You should call the person you got him from and ask. Maybe he just had a different kind before. There are different pellets timothy and alfalfa. Bella doesn’t care for pellets too much either. She eats them (not a lot of them per day) but she loves hay.

• Monkeybun
                                                  Participant
                                                  10479 posts Send Private Message

I’m havign a heck of a time keeping up with your Forum name lol. Please stick with one

• jerseygirl
                                                    22342 posts Send Private Message

yes, ditto that! lol

• Lunar~Atticus
                                                      Participant

this name is going to stick. atticus is his name and will stay that way. this is the final deal everyone! his name is officially Atticus!

• roommate2rabbits
                                                        Participant
                                                        21 posts Send Private Message

Luna and Atakis are adorable!! Congrats on your new addition!

• Lunar~Atticus
                                                          Participant

sorry i spelled atticus’ name wrong and i had to fix it cause it was bugging me

• PrincessCharming
                                                            Participant
                                                            30 posts Send Private Message

What a beauty! Boof was part Flemish, they really has sweet nature. 🙂

• Deleted User
                                                              Participant
                                                              22064 posts Send Private Message

OMG, what a gorgeous rabbit! His ears are incredible. I would *love* to see pictures of Moose as well. Is there a link you can direct me to?

• Lis
                                                                Participant
                                                                439 posts Send Private Message

I see what you mean when you said Stormy looks like Luna. But Luna is MUCH bigger than him, it looks like.
                                                                  Congrats on the new bun! My bf has a full flemmie on the way, so I know just how you feel right now

• Nat
                                                                  Participant
                                                                  54 posts Send Private Message

*gasp* *drool* *dizzy* *dead*

THUDDD. I LOVEEEE HIM! GIMME! GIMME!

• Lunar~Atticus
                                                                    Participant

sorry nat, i am have become quite attatched to him…and he is a lot bigger now then in those pics! i cant believe how much he weighs now. pick up him and its like ugh….pick up luna and you almost throw her casue she is a lot ighter then atticus! lol

TOMORROW IS THE BIG DAY THEY BOTH GET FIXED! IM SOOOO NERVOURS AND HAPPY AND SCARED> I THINK I AM GOING TO CRY WHEN I HAD THEM OVER

• Beka27
                                                                      Participant

It’s scary to hand them over to get them altered, but they’ll do great!

(((Vibes!)))

• Deleted User
                                                                        Participant

Atticus is a great name, one of the best I have come across in this forum, especially since he is a larger bun.

I have a very similar-looking rabbit. She is a flemish mix also. 

Atticus

Deirdra (kit photo)

Atticus

Deirdra (she has a darker brown and some ticking but the white patches are like on Atticus!)

• Beka27
                                                                          Participant

Crazy question Petzy… is Deirdra one of the rabbits KokaneeandKahlua had at her rescue? That pic of her in the wire cage looks like the ones K&K had taken… and I remember she had some flemmie mixes…

• Deleted User
                                                                            Participant

Deirdra was Priscilla from Hoppy E. You missed a lot Beka

• Beka27
                                                                              Participant

OK! Now I don’t feel so dumb for asking! I didn’t realize that…

She doesn’t look big in her pics, but then when you see her next to the rest of your crew, it’s like… Holy cow, that’s a big bunny!

• Nat
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                54 posts Send Private Message

Posted By Luna~Atticus on 06/09/2010 05:57 AM
                                                                                  sorry nat, i am have become quite attatched to him…and he is a lot bigger now then in those pics! i cant believe how much he weighs now. pick up him and its like ugh….pick up luna and you almost throw her casue she is a lot ighter then atticus! lol

TOMORROW IS THE BIG DAY THEY BOTH GET FIXED! IM SOOOO NERVOURS AND HAPPY AND SCARED> I THINK I AM GOING TO CRY WHEN I HAD THEM OVER

Quick then! Hand him over before you get TOO attached!

I’m sure your buns will do just fine during the operation. They will lead much better, healthier lives afterwards.

• Lunar~Atticus
                                                                                  Participant

lol nice try nat! but i must admit it was a great effort to get him….lol too bad he isnt going anywhere….except to london tomorrow to get fixed… but he will have luna to keep him company.

Petzy: i cant believe how much your girl looks like atticus, i am glad you like his name. i will be sure to let my vet tech friend know…she named him….and luna actually. lol but WOW you would think they were related they look sooo much alike! how old is she now and how much does she weigh??

Atticus is not quite 3 months and is between 7-8lbs

• Deleted User
                                                                                    Participant

Deirdra is almost two years old. She weighs 8 lbs. She is very slender now on her big frame. She loves to eat equally as much as she loves to zoom. I know people say the bigger bunnies aren’t as active as the smaller ones, but either this is a myth, or Deirdra is the exception.
                                                                                      Atticus will be bigger than Deirdra if he weighs this much already.
                                                                                      They are too related by their flemmie lines!

• Lunar~Atticus
                                                                                      Participant

lol petzy, very true…distant siblings….lol

so, funny story….got the buns fixed, they did great! but it turns out i have 2 males and not one female and one male…luna will now be named lunar….. lol i thought it was quite funny. got to the vet to pick them up and they said, you have a male….i said i know i do. one male and one female…they said…..awww….we did 2 neuters, not a neuter and a spay. i laughed. they asked what was funny, i said i had the “female” sexed 2x!!!!!!! (and one was by a vet tech!)

so from here on in, i have lunar and atticus. lunar is 6lbs at almost 4 months and atticus is 7.5lbs at almost 3 months. they did great and are now in their cages resting after the looooong 2 hr drive one way.

• Beka27
                                                                                        Participant

Oh wow! I guess there was no risk of pregnancy afterall!!! How funny!

Honestly, this happens frequently. Baby bunnies are notoriously hard to sex.

(((Healing vibes for your BOYS!!!)))

• jerseygirl
                                                                                          Moderator

This is a good example of how common and problematic mis-sexing is. Even the vet tech got it wrong. There could have been a chance of pregnancy between Luna/Lunar and Moose. Though it seems Lunars bits had not descended (or were hidden from time to time)? So I just want to say for all that have young rabbits (or new rabbits  you are not sure are fixed) that it is so important for them to be kept separated until both are altered or it is blantantly obvious which sex they are. It might seem over the top cautious but rabbit are sexed wrong often and there are too many surprise litters of rabbits to prove that.

Sorry to use your situation as an example. All that aside, I do wish for your 2 bunny boys to heal swiftly and be binkying around in no time.

• Beka27
                                                                                            Participant

Good warning, Jersey. You’re right. I had forgotten that Moose and Luna(r) were housed together before Atticus came into the picture.

• Lunar~Atticus
                                                                                              Participant

acutally, moose and lunar were never housed together. moose would not allow it. moose kept trying to kill lunar so they were kept seperate from day one until the accident. only atticus and lunar were kept together.

the only time moose and lunar got together was when lunar was a 4week old baby and slipped thru the bars into moose’ free range arear and moose attatcked her pulling out fur and taking a patch of skin with it. i could not get moose to let go of her hate for lunar literally from day one.

• Monkeybun
                                                                                                Participant
                                                                                                10479 posts Send Private Message

It was Moose and Heifer that were housed together right? You thought they were sisters? That could have been bad too.

Hope your boys recover soon

• jerseygirl
                                                                                                  Moderator

I know we (well, Me) can sound a bit pedantic about all this. More and more I feel strongly about keeping unfixed rabbits separate despite age or sex. I wasn’t always so but too many stories just have changed my view. You know, I even got a bit freaked when I got Rumball, imagining that the old owners lied in telling me that he was fixed. And that somehow Jersey’s spay was incomplete and that one day I’d wake up to a litter of rabbits. Lol ! I’ve even checked Rumballs sex on occasion to convince myself he is infact a boy. lol I only had their word to go on.

• Lunar~Atticus
                                                                                                    Participant

yes heifer and moose were living together. when they were 7 weeks old they went to the vet to make sure they were healthy, general check-up and to have them sexed. the vet himself sexed them and being an older age, was sexed properly. so ther was no question they were both female. and would have ben seperated at 3 months, but sadly heifer didnt make it to that. she was generally healthy but not completely and died of a heart murmur. it was tested for and there for was not found until death.

and as far as atticus and lunar go, they were seperate 3 weeks before surgery with time allowed out together fully supervised then complete seperation a week and a half before surgery. so there was no way lunar was going to get knocked up even if he was actually a she. lunar was sexed at 4 1/2 weeks and wasnt done again…until today.

Viewing 47 reply threads
                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! NEW BUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!