Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Luna stopped eating and drinking for 3 days…

Viewing 22 reply threads
  • Author
    • Luna_baby
      Participant
      13 posts Send Private Message

Then she started to this morning after she looked dead, shes really weak but I’ve been giving her water through a syringe and hand feeding her and shes getting stronger. Any suggestions on how to help her more?

• Luna_baby
        Participant

I dunno what to do, shes my first rabbit

• babybunsmum
          Participant
          3896 posts Send Private Message

i do not have any experience force-feeding buns but until some one who does chimes in here i’ll say… definitely go to a vet!  it is very very serious if your bun has not been eating on it’s own and the reasons for this could be many.  i really think it’s neccessary to have a rabbit-savvy vet determine what’s going on.  

• Luna_baby
            Participant

I’ve gone to three vets who claimed to be very good with rabbits, and all I got was Maybe this is wrong, maybe thats wrong

• Cassi&Charlie
              Participant
              1260 posts Send Private Message

Where are you based? I’m so sorry that this is happening to you and that your vets are not helping to alleviate your concern. Look online for a exotic pet vet or a small animal vet, you might get lucky and get a hit.
                It definately could be alot of things and if she’s still not eating by herself it sounds like it might be life threatening. You could try calling vets and asking for advice over the phone, a rabbit savvy should declare it an emergency and tell you to get her in straight away.
                Good luck, and please update us!

• Deleted User
                Participant
                22064 posts Send Private Message

Luna-Go to http://www.rabbit.org, there is a list of rabbit savvy vets based by city.

I have had to force feed, its great to use baby food (non-meat ones) and canned pumpkin. You can feed plain pedialyte to make sure your bun is getting the hydration she needs. Is she eating hay at all? Or her greens? If she’s eating her greens, wet them down as a way to get more water into her system.

You say she is eating now, is she pooping too? There’s definately something wrong and I hope you find a good vet who will help her out. In the meantime continue the force feeds to keep her healthy.

• Binkles
                  Participant
                  823 posts Send Private Message

If it ISN’T a solid blockage, Laxatone/ Petromalt, water, and simethicone all the way.

It saves lives.

• BinkyBunny
                    8776 posts Send Private Message

I double triple ditto that this is serious. What did the other vets say was wrong and did they do anything to treat her?   At this point, if she is not eating and pooping very very soon, you are looking at a possible fatal situation. Here is a good link too about how to find a rabbit savvy vet. http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html  

I know this will be conflicting information here – but I don’t want to tell you to force feed because if there is blockage and/or bloating, this could worsen the situation. So is she eating on her own only if you hand feed her? 

Either way though, now at three days…..she needs to see a rabbit savvy vet asap.

Sending healing vibes!  Keep us updated. 

• Sarita
                      Participant
                      18851 posts Send Private Message

Did any of the vets do x-rays?

What did they do? Did they prescribe any gut motility medications? Did they do sub-q fluids?

• Luna_baby
                        Participant

Yeah, they gave me antibotics but what kind of baby food can she have?
                          he have pear and pineapple baby food, is that okay? and how do I go about feeding her?

She just started to eat her regular food and I gave her pedialyte too, shes pooping and hopping now

• Sarita
                          Participant

What did they give her antibiotics for? Do they suspect an infection?

Did they do sub-q fluids? Did they take x-rays?

You are best to give her a pelleted slurry instead of baby food. Grind your pellets up and mix with water and hand feed her that way. She needs fiber not baby food.

• Sarita
                            Participant

http://www.carrotcafe.com/n/syringefeed.html

Here’s some pellet slurry recipes.

• Luna_baby
                              Participant

They took x-ray and think its an infection but she seems better.
                                I’m keeping a eye on her and I’ll give her the pellet slurry

• Beka27
                                Participant
                                16016 posts Send Private Message

how scary. please keep us posted on her progress.

((((((((((((feel better Luna!)))))))))))))

• Luna_baby
                                  Participant

I’ve got her in my arms right now, actually shes laying against my neck

• Luna_baby
                                    Participant

this is a month after i got her
                                      we don’t know how old she is, I think shes a dutch dwarf

• Beka27
                                      Participant
                                      16016 posts Send Private Message

i hope you don’t mind, i went in and edited your post b/c the pic was not showing up. you have to click on the little image icon at the top of the message box and then insert your http:// address of the pic. just adding the [img] to it does not work.

she is adorable!!! i don’t know what she is, she’s posisbly a mix of something. is she part rex, she look ridiculously soft…

• Luna_baby
                                        Participant

Oh i don’t mind, I didn’t know.
                                          She is unbelieveably soft and my boyfriend keeps texting me asking if shes okay cause shes like his little daughter.

I made her that pellet slurry but she wouldn’t eat it so I added a little baby food to it and she ate it like crazy

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                          Participant
                                          12067 posts Send Private Message

She’s beautiful! *VIBES* for Luna

• Luna_baby
                                            Participant

Trey and Tabi’s baby girl, Luna!

• Deleted User
                                              Participant
                                              22064 posts Send Private Message

My bun wouldn’t eat the grinded up pellets either, thats why we gave her baby food. We gave her the spinach and carrots for almost a month and she was eating hay too. I think what your doing is great-give the pellets mixed with baby food. I’m not sure if you should give the fruit baby foods though-high in sugar, just like regular fruit. I was told by my vet to avoid starchy baby foods. The only one Boston would eat is the spinach and carrots. I don’t think the baby food would hurt her for a short amount of time, but the others are right she needs the pellets.

Is she drinking at all now?

Its scary to have a sick bun!!!! Lots of healing vibes

• Luna_baby
                                                Participant

Shes drinking and eating her regular food, but I’m give her the pellet slurry too

• MooBunnay
                                                  Participant
                                                  3087 posts Send Private Message

I’m glad to hear she is doing better! What kind of diet is your bunny on when she is feeling normal? The most important part of a bunny’s diet is unlimited hay, that is what keeps their digestive tract moving, and prevents stasis episodes (stasis is when your bunny doesn’t eat or poop due to the fact that their digestive system has gotten bogged down).

The best hay for a bunny under 7 months is alfalfa hay. Over 7 months they should be on timothy hay, or oat hay or other grass hays, but not alfalfa which is too fattening for a bunny that is over 7 months. Often, episodes like the one your bunny just had can be diet related, so make sure you are feeding her the proper diet (see the “diet” information) under the bunny info tab.

Viewing 22 reply threads
                                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Luna stopped eating and drinking for 3 days…