Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Jack is sick

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    • lottin_uk
      Participant
      33 posts Send Private Message

Hey guys

Felt I needed to post, I dont know what else to do with myself!

We were out last night, and came home late, trying to get to bed when G noticed Jack wasn’t his usual happy crazy self.  I spent some time on floor with him and he wouldnt eat anything not even best treats!!

Previous experience with Brucie taught me this wasn’t good.

After a sleepless night, he was worse at 630am.  Spent few hours with him, he was shuddering, lifeless and breathing really shallow.

He is at vet now, not heard from them in 2 hours.  I’m at work and can’t do anything!!! arrrrrghhhhhh

I will post again later, just feel so alone – everyone says “its only a rabbit, just make some stew if he passes” omg, they are so nasty. noone understands he is a mummies boy and i’m empty at the thought of being without him…….

Lx

• RabbitPam
        11002 posts Send Private Message

I just read your post now, and am sending you hugs and best wishes for Jack to pull through.
          People can be so mean, but please know that you are among some that understand how you feel here.

So glad to hear he’s at the vet already. You can call them anytime for a progress report. It’s probably that he’s being given some fluids and meds to get his GI tract working again and being watched. Call in case they tried you and had a problem, unless you already signed off on permission for them to do anything they feel they need to. I actually take the 2 hours as a good sign.

Keep us posted. *{{{{{{{{{healing vibes}}}}}}}}}}

• lottin_uk
          Participant

Well G just called me to say they said he is fine?????
            Which i guess is good, but they dont know what was wrong with him.
            We’ve had rabbits for over 2 years, so I know that I was not overreacting to take him, but I do feel a bit silly! She said he munched into a big bowl of food before we’d even made it out of carpark…!!!

They are going to give him a full exam this afternoon. I’ll pick him up at 6pm.
            At least I have some appetite myself now to have some lunch!!!
            Just feel confused now…. I really thought he was on the way out…… any thoughts?
            Thanks Rabbitpam.
            x

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

So glad Jack is better. I definitely would want to get an exam especially with the lifelessness and shallow breathing.

Please keep us update on his condition.

• lottin_uk
              Participant

yeah, it was so wierd, I was convinced sitting here at work that was the end, having had a previous bunny who was exactly like that when he died.
                I can’t quite accept that he is suddenly “fine” again!

Just read about Rucy on another Thread. OMG very sad. Brings back awful memories. Thoughts are with BB!

x

• MarkBun
                Participant
                2842 posts Send Private Message

I know that this may sound wierd but the stress and movement of taking him to the vet may have caused a GI statis to become unblocked. It is amazing but sometimes a bunny just needs to ‘burp’ and if they don’t they could die from it. I would keep an eye on him for a couple more days though as it might come back. Check poops for strings (where they’re connected by pieces of fur). If you can afford it (both financally and emotionally), I’d have the vet keep the bun for one more day of observation.

• Sarita
                  Participant

That’s true what Markus says too – sometimes the movement from the car can get their gut moving again too from what I hear.

• lottin_uk
                    Participant

Hi thanks for comments
                      had a long chat with vet before i left work and we decided he would keep Jack overnight. He was concerned as Jack hadn’t done any poops at all today, but he did a big hard one, then 2 normals when i was on the phone!!!
                      They have given him …. gut stimulant, rabbit anti biotic, pain relief and fluids. Poor baby!
                      Vet just called us at home to say he has Jack at his, and has let him out for exercise, and he was using the litter tray very efficiently! clever boy!
                      so hopefully he’ll be fine tmrw. The vet is fantastic, dealt a lot with him when Brucie died, so he is sympathetic to my paranoia!!!
                      Will post again tmrw.
                      Thanks again!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant
                      12067 posts Send Private Message

WOW How scary! That’s great -sounds like he’s perked right up and eating. And good that your vet is going to keep him for a little while and look after him-and it sounds like he took him to his house? That’s wonderful-what a sweet vet!

Keep us posted!! {{Jack}}

• MarkBun
                        Participant
                        2842 posts Send Private Message

A vet that takes the bun home with him? That’s amazing. Yup, sometimes a bun could have just one big poop that is gummin’ up the works. hopefull all will be better tomorrow.

• RabbitPam
                          11002 posts Send Private Message

This all sounds much better, though I agree that you definitely did the right thing bringing him in.
                            Cool that your vet took him home.

Let’s hope you both get a good nights rest and all is well tomorrow.

• babybunsmum
                            Participant
                            3896 posts Send Private Message

what a scare! i’m so familiar with that feeling. yuck. good thing he started eating again. it doesn’t surprise me his poop production was low since he had been through a wee fast period. i’ll be watching this thread tomorrow to be sure he did well over night. (((vibes)))

• BinkyBunny
                              8776 posts Send Private Message

I can’t tell you how many times I have brought a bunny in panicked only to have them just perk up and be fine once they got there! What a wonderful vet you have just to make sure though as rabbits can be so tricky.

I am relieved to hear though that the vet’s report is good!

Keep us updated.

• lottin_uk
                                Participant

Hey Guys

How are you all doing today?
                                  Well I got Jack home last night! yay!!!!
                                  He was quiet to start with, but when Lilly finally worked up the courage to go over and sniff him and snuggle, he was fine!!! They were hopping all over the house together – V happy!!!
                                  I did notice that he was mounting her a lot last night – he hasn’t really done this at all since he was neutered, usually it is her who does all the mounting!? Guess they’re just trying to re-adjust power again!
                                  I am just so pleased to have my darling boy home!!!!!!!
                                  Thanks for your support, I was v stressed, sufferring for it now, I have IBS so it will be a few days before I calm down!!
                                  Lx

• Sarita
                                  Participant

I’m so glad Jack is home and doing better.

• BinkyBunny
                                    8776 posts Send Private Message

OH, so good to hear things are going well. I hope YOU feel better soon. My mother always had/has IBS and I remember – not fun!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                      Participant
                                      12067 posts Send Private Message

Oh that’s so good to hear!!!

• PEPPA GEORGIE
                                        Participant
                                        268 posts Send Private Message

Oh your vet sounds lovely how wonderfull that he took him home that is just so nice. I have also been on loads of trips to the vet in that state with bunnies and some were serious but recovered and others didnt but the funniest was my large brown fiesty lop eared bunny years ago, she was so stroppy (not spayed so might be why lol) such a character and terrible for pinching your food right off your plate, or in this case corn flakes right out of your bowl we would call her our cornflake girl. Anyway she stopped eating and just lay there which she had never done and we took her in and same thing was fine and came home and we really stumped. She started doing lots of cecals that she didnt eat and we again wondered if vet got it wrong untill we stumbled across the empty packet of rich belgian chocolates that we had left open on top of the c d tower the night before after only eating one ourselves as they very sweet………. Still dont know how she got up there but from the state of the bag with the little holes and the empty state of bag it suddenly all made sense…..her name was cookie, very appropriate. (we didnt ever give her anything so bad for her obviously, this was stolen goods ) xx So glad jack ok now xx hate people making stupid insensitive jokes about bunnies x

• lottin_uk
                                          Participant

Hi guys
                                            I haven’t made it on for ages again, we’re getting loads of diy done (new kitchen and bathroom – house a mess!) can’t find any time to sit down!!!
                                            Jack is back to normal and had 2 trips into the garden now! he is quite scared at first, but he does hundreds of binkies when he gets settled, i have some fab videos I’ll try and add!
                                            thanks

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Jack is sick