Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE It’s been long

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • laylalover
      Participant
      52 posts Send Private Message

Hi Guys,

It’s been a while a I know – do you remember me? Layla’s mom Well, today I went into a pet store and I bent down to talk to the bunnies, and he did a bunny flop and it really made me so happy inside! And so I thought i would write again.

We did an autopsy on Layla. Turns out she had pasturella. It’s a baaad bacteria. And hers was in her lungs. It created a pocket around th ebacteria so no amount of anti-biotics would’ve helped. Supposedly she got it waaaay before she came to us. It’s also highly contagious. She was a carrier her whole life, with no symptoms, but the stress of the spay operation lowered her imune system and wham! The bacteria won.

Our vet says that it is quite unusual to find it like that, cos it’s usually in lab bunnies…

And so, I guess it helps to know that it wasn’t because of us, and that her time her was limited. But i miss her!

I wanted another bunny, but somehow, a cat was delivered to us. And so we have a new addition, Puck, a crazy cat. it’s hard to bond with him, he’s so different from a rabbit. And he has major aggression issues…i’m trying though…any good cat forums around?

I miss layla, and I miss having a bun…they really are special creaures.

• BinkyBunny
        8776 posts Send Private Message

Oh, thank you for sharing. I am so sorry for your loss, but I know that autopsy can really help in many cases to understand. I know there was a beautiful bunny at one a rescue I volunteered for and she was so friendly and everyone loved and one day she just died -she wasn’t an old bunny either. It was hard to understand but the autopsy showed she had a actual heart condition. So though either way, it was no one’s fault anyway because she got the best care, I know it helped settle people’s minds a bit as it is normal to think is there something else we could have done, noticed etc.

Hugs to you.

Good luck with this Puck. I know it can be a challenge. I found a good forum http://www.catster.com/forums/home.php that seemed friendly and helpful. I haven’t been on there much, but after looking through it and asking a couple of questions there before, I found it to be a good place to start.

• LittlePuffyTail
          18092 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sad for you having lost your bun. At least you must have a sense of closure by finding out what happened. It’s really hard not knowing what happened and what could have been done (I unfortunately experienced this twice).

I’m sure you’ll develop a great relationship with your new cat. They have very different personalities but can be just as fun and lovable. A great site you should check out is catchannel.com. There is tons of articles, forums, games and even a club you can join to earn prizes. I’m a frequent visitor to this site.

• jerseygirl
            22338 posts Send Private Message

Laylalover, I’m so glad you popped in to let us know how you are doing. I agree, the autopsy has probably helped in your grief for Layla.

Also, it improves all our knowledge about rabbits. For instance, if I get any new ones in the future I would look at getting bloodwork done straight away. I didn’t do anything like this when I got Jersey (a pet store bunny) and had her spayed. When I think of what I know now….!

Everyones experiences here have taught me so much and I’ll be better prepared. I’m sure you have learnt alot too from having Layla and she may just have been preparing you for future bunnies…….you never do know!

Glad to hear you have a new furbaby in Puck. I’m sure in time you come to understand one another.

• MimzMum
              Participant
              8029 posts Send Private Message

I remember you and your bunny! So glad to see you’ve popped in again. Yes, it’s a difficult thing to walk away after a bunny has flopped in your presence. Takes every thing I’ve got in my not to take every one home! ^_^
                I am glad to hear you had a definitive answer with Layla. I’m sorry things turned out the way they did, but you gave her a good home. Never forget that.

I also have a ‘feral’ cat who can be quite the handful when she’s riled, which is about every ten minutes or so. If you stick with it though, you should see a bit of a turnaround eventually. Puck is a great name for him! He was quite the mischief maker himself.

Congratulations on your new furbaby!

• Beka27
                Participant
                16016 posts Send Private Message

i continue to think about you! thank you so much for the update! that’s wonderful you got a cat. sometimes things just work out a certain way and you never know what is coming next… the ONE fortunate thing about animals having a shorter lifespan than their humans is that in your lifetime you will be able to love and care for many different pets. so right now it is a cat, but someday you might cross paths with a bunny and you’ll know that it’s your time to experience bunny ownership again.

*hugs!*

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant
                  12067 posts Send Private Message

Of course we remember you and Layla! I know you miss her, it’s very sad to loose them. I’m glad your back and around! It’s good that you had an autopsy done, it sounds like it definitely helps your heart rest a little easier. *hugs*

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE It’s been long