Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Hello From Snowy WV

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bindilicious
      Participant
      154 posts Send Private Message

I would like to introduce my new bunny, Bindi.  My friend is the director of a local Humane Society and I just happened to be on PetFinder and saw this adorable little girl.  Anyway, she now lives with my husband, step-son and me and we are all in love.  I have had her less than a week, but with every “Bindi session” my husband and I have with her, she gets friendlier.  Last night, we got our first binkies and we were rolling around laughing at her antics.   Many years ago, I had my first house bunny, so I am pretty well versed in their care, but I am a little rusty.  I’ve been reading a lot though and that is how I came across your forum.  

I would like a little help with identifying her breeding.  After some research, I am guessing Netherland Dwarf, but would love to hear others’ opinions.  Her ears are a lot smaller than my other bunny who matured to 12 lbs!  She weighs 3.8 lbs and the shelter guessed she was around a year old.  She was brought into the shelter as a stray and was skin and bones.  I do not have any idea how she survived!!  This was the 1st of November and now she is a little butterball.  

I am looking forward to chatting with everyone!

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! She is beautiful.

Honestly, she is probably a mixed breed of some sort. She is definitely on the small side at 3.8 pounds so it’s possible she is some kind of dwarf mix. Her coloring is beautiful with the dark silver points and her fur is so shiny.

I’m glad you are enjoying her – she sounds like she came from some difficult circumstances and is so lucky to have a family like yours to love her.

• Bindilicious
          Participant

Thank you, Sarita!  We are happy to have her as part of our family.  It was very lucky that someone found her in November because we have had snow on the ground here since the 3rd of Dec.  Thanks for the welcome!

ETA:  The shelter had her listed as an “American” and I think they get pretty big, so I knew she wasn’t that.  I just wish I knew her real story

• MirBear
            Participant
            1412 posts Send Private Message

OMG!!!! its ANOTHER HERSHEY AND TWIX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i have two ‘siamese sable’ (your bunnies colouring) bunnies, hershey and twix.. hershey has the same body shape but its HIGHLY unlikely that yours is the same breed…. my bunny hershey is an unmaned lionhead…. and the other one we are still trying to identify the breed

depending on where you live it may be summer or winter… if your bunny changes colour in the next few months it may possibly mean its younger than 1 year… my bunnies changed to a darker brown at about 7-8 months.. and got darker from there.

Heres a pic of me hershey at 3 months (she was also like a silver / brown colour) sorry about the bad quality.. you cant really see the colour..

And a pic more modern.. (at 11 months)

• Bindilicious
              Participant

MirBear, Hershey is beautiful!  Bindi is a pale gray with black points (maybe it didn’t show up right in the pics) so would she still be considered a Siamese Sable?  I have no idea about coloring in rabbits at all, but I’ll keep reading on this forum.  Thanks for answering my post!

• MirBear
                Participant

yes she would.. i just edited the post above read it.. it mentions the colour change.. the change colour the closer to winter it gets.. but also if its winter where you live it means that you bun is WAY younger than 1 year

• MirBear
                  Participant

Hershey looked silvery when we got her too
                    and btw.. you should go on the “how simaler do your pets look?” forum and post a pic of your bun…. lol i have 2 siamese cats and to siamese sable bunnies… your bun will fit right in

• Bindilicious
                    Participant

Update on Binid’s story:  I spoke with our friend from the shelter today and she told me this story.  I’m not sure why the Humane Society ad said she was found as a stray, forgot to ask, but this is the story.  Bindi was turned in by her previous owner who had given her to a child last Easter as a baby bunny.  The child was too young to take care of her and when she came to the shelter, she was thin and wild.  The people also had a male bunny and, yes, you guessed it…2 days after she was brought to the shelter, she gave birth to 4 still-born kits.  After the babies were born, Bindi was very depressed and sat in a corner of her cage.  With this background, I am amazed how she has come out of her shell.  Tomorrow will be one week that we have had her and she hops up to us when we go to her cage and when we let her out she binkies and jumps on our back when we lie down with her.  I am just thrilled that she is on the road to being a well adjusted happy girl.  So, how old do they usually take the kits away from the doe?  I am trying to figure out her BD and approximately how old she is.  

• MirBear
                      Participant

Well from the breeder i got hershey from they weaned (took the babies from the mom) at 7-8 weeks and put them up for sale at 2 months (9-10 weeks or so)
                        So she would probably have been born 2+ months before easter.. poor litlle baby.. that must have been a rough start to life

• stacyblue
                        Participant
                        98 posts Send Private Message

Aww Bindi is so beautiful! What a sad story, her first year was pretty rough its wonderful that she now has a happy loving home with your family. Enjoy your new bunny and congrats

• Bindilicious
                          Participant

Thank you, Stacyblue! We weren’t looking but somehow she found us I had a prairie dog for about 7 years and I had to put her down last year due to old age and failure to thrive, so I had an opening in The Little House that Jimmy Built! We also have 3 barn cats, one inside cat and Sadie, my 7-year-old German Shedder.

MirBear, thanks! I think I will go with 2 months before Easter so her DOB would be Feb. 15, 2009!

• MirBear
                            Participant

wow then shes 11 months… hersheys b-day is febuary 21st….. odd..

• jerseygirl
                              22338 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Bindi is lovely! It’s great you now have a better history for her. It helps understand them better. Plus you can pile on the love she was denied before.

Edit: 2 Qu’s: What colour are Bindi’s eyes?  What colour is her belly fur – White or white with ticking like the rest of her coat?

• Bindilicious
                                Participant

Thanks for the welcome, Jerseygirl! Bindi’s eyes are kind of hazel and her belly fur is like the rest of her fur, but is a bit lighter, close to white.

• jerseygirl

mmm….she kinda looks like a siamese smoke pearl colour. Not sure. They can be a light, med and dark version. I did read the frosted pearls have the lighter belly without the ticking . Smoke pearls have lighter belly too and blue/grey eyes. Smoke Pearl is also a breed – though rare, at least, here (Oz) it is.

• Elrohwen
                                    Participant
                                    7318 posts Send Private Message

Her color looks like a seal point or a sable point to me, not a siamese sable. Both have a light body color with dark points, though I’m not really sure what the difference is in appearance between the two. And I would guess she’s a netherland dwarf, but pet quality, rather than show quality, which would account for her longer ears and pointier nose. She’s the right size and color to be a dwarf at least.

She’s adorable!

• jerseygirl

lol. The more descriptions I read on rabbit colours, the more confused I get!

• MirBear
                                        Participant

hehe.. the reason i said siamese is because hershey and twix were that coulour before the winter… hence why i asked if it was winter where she is…. my buns go a deep brown in the winter (their winter coats) im not sure if they will go back in the summer or not but i do belive they will

• MirBear
                                          Participant

hehe.. the reason i said siamese is because hershey and twix were that coulour before the winter… hence why i asked if it was winter where she is…. my buns go a deep brown in the winter (their winter coats) im not sure if they will go back in the summer or not but i do belive they will

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Hello From Snowy WV