Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Feeding rabbits grass

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lisa_43
      Participant
      1499 posts Send Private Message

I found this on an Australian website and I am a bit concerned as I have been giving all the rabbits grass.

Is this true and should I stop doing it?

"Don’t feed grass because it causes bloat, diarrhoea etc" – ditto for lettuce and cabbage.
        It’s amazing that people are led to believe or actually fear their rabbits eating something, which is a wholesome and natural rabbit food. It’s an indisputable fact that our domesticated buns are the same species as the wild rabbit. Therefore they biologically have the same digestive system and nutritional needs.

• Sarita
        Participant
        18851 posts Send Private Message

Well hay is grass so that doesn’t make much sense to me. The only reason I can see not to feed a fresh grass is because of pesticides. Cabbage can cause gas probably because it does in humans and so does lettuce for some humans so I suppose it can cause gas in some rabbits too but it should be more specific in it’s statements.

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

Well I know that fresh grass, not dried grass, has been known to cause problems if they eat too much of it, I’ve seen it happen. Not to mention being dilligent that it is fungicide, fertilizer and pesticide free likae Sarita mentioned. I would not stop and I agree that statement is pretty vague.

Cabbage, broccoli, kale and brussels sprouts can cause gas in the more sensitive bunnies and I would wait to give them to your little ones.

• faramir
            Participant
            6 posts Send Private Message

Hay is critical for a rabbit to stay healthy. I don’t find mine cares less for fresh grass. Yes, cabbage can cause bloating, as can other veggies, such as broccoli; however, small portions are fine. You have to see how your rabbit reacts. If it affects him badly, don’t feed it to him. Mine loves broccoli and has no ill affects. He also has no problems with cabbage-like foods; e.g., radicchio, bok choy. Veggies with high water content, like lettuce, can cause diarrhoea. Introduce new veggies slowly and just one at a time so you can see what happens. Re lettuce, only feed dark green lettuce, it has more nutrients. The best is romaine. Head/iceberg lettuce should never be fed, as it has no nutritional value.

If your rabbit does react (gas, diarrhoea), stop that veggie ’til he gets back to normal and later try a smaller amount. It always worries me when people believe they shouldn’t feed their rabbit any veggies because of diarrhoea. Veggies are critical to their health. You’ll just have to see which ones work best for your bunny, and introduce them slowly. Also, some veggies are toxic, so always check first (there are lots of sites on the internet listing safe and toxic foods for rabbits – just google it).

Hope that helps.

• Lisa_43
              Participant

I should stop reading some rabbit articles in Australia, the only good stuff here I have read is Boing.

A lot of the stuff here is so totally different from where you are.

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

welcome faramir! Great advice.

Lisa – I haven’t heard that about grass (cabbage and iceberg lettuce, yes) I feed Romaine along with the other veggies. Regarding if grass could pose a problem – I guess it just depends on how much and what kind of grass. Just plain ‘ol wheat grass? And where do you get it from? (ditto both Sarita’s and Scarlet’s advice)

Regarding the statement about how domestic rabbits are the same species as the wild (european), that is true, but there are some differences due to breeding influences over time and also the fact that “house rabbits” aren’t outside as much, if at all, which means they don’t get Vitamin D3 via the sun, so they should get it from their pellet.

• Lisa_43
                  Participant

It is grass from our back garden and there is no chemicals on it, the name of it is kikuri grass.

I know they like to forage in the dirt and grass, I am thinking of making up a flat container with seed grass from a box.

Any suggestions?

• Gravehearted
                    Participant
                    2428 posts Send Private Message

Lisa – my bunnies really enjoy wheatgrass plants.
                      It doesn’t live very long, but I’m thinking your bunnies might enjoy it too and I think it wouldn’t be very hard to grow. you could also do some herbs, since they’re also not hard to grow, but bunnies love dill, parsley

• MooBunnay
                      Participant
                      3087 posts Send Private Message

If you’re going to make a seedbox, the wheatgrass would probably be a good idea. I just got some wheatgrass seeds and planted it about one week ago, and its already two inches tall. If you could devise some kind of screen so that the bunnies could get to the top of the wheatgrass but not into the dirt, that might be a good idea, that way they can eat the tops of the wheatgrass plant, but not fling dirt everywhere!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Feeding rabbits grass