Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Discouraged

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • whispercalm
      Participant
      89 posts Send Private Message

Today Charlie has been sneezing more. She had a little group of 3 sneezes that sounded a bit stronger and when I went to look at her she had white mucous on top her nose. My heart just sunk. I know these infections can take time to clear up. It’s been 5 weeks now.  Three weeks on one antibiotic with improvement. Go off of it and  then have to start another which upset her stomach so only one dose. Changed to Doxycyklin and been on 2 days today. She’s only 5 months old.

I am just tired and discouraged. She has 5 more days on this med.

• DanaNM
        8901 posts Send Private Message

I responded in you other thread, just want to reiterate that you are doing a great job! Hang in there!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• whispercalm
          Participant

We are on day 5 of doxycyclin and Charlie had a sneezing fit blowing thick runny mucus out of her nose. She kept sneezing and I was trying to catch the mucus as she sneezed and it came out for her. She seemed better for a couple days. My husband is now saying its just allergies because the vet told us a couple weeks ago when we thought she was pretty much over it that she might have some allergies. But contact him if she got worse again, which I did. last week. I’ve tried explaining to him that even if this is allergies and mold related, she has an infection that could go into her ears, brain, lungs. She will go hours or most of the day without sneezing. Yesterday she didnt really sneeze until the evening and I thought it was sounding different.

I know this is the same old story with Charlie you’ve all been seeing.  I’m beginning to wonder if we may lose her to this.  I’m feeling a bit guilty wondering if what took our previous bunny is related in anyway. But Buddy had no signs of respiratory illness. We are very clean and I keep bunny things extremely sanitary. Does anyone else have a bunny being treated long term for this? I’ve seen some have to be treated their entire lives.

Tuesday is vent cleaning day for the mold. We now have 2 new area rugs which have been aired out bought mainly hoping it will help Charlie.

I’ll call vet again tomorrow. Maybe we will need to use a nebulizer as was suggested here. Any suggestions on what kind to get and where? I’ve seen some on Amazon but no idea what to pick. Thinking maybe I should order one so its here at least. Maybe we should have cultures done, but vet has not suggested that yet. I’ve read where some won’t do cultures because it’s still hard to tell what will work.

After she does her sneezing and gets the mucus out, her breathing through her nose sounds clear each time. Its just such nasty stuff.

• DanaNM
            8901 posts Send Private Message

If your other bunny didn’t have respiratory symptoms, I doubt it was related. It can be so hard dealing with chronic conditions, there are so many “what ifs” and unknowns. I don’t have any personal experience with nebulizers, but I know some members have.

Hang in there, as long as she is eating, pooping, and generally behaving normally then I wouldn’t panic. Also try not to google too much… a lot of the info on treating these things in rabbits is more from breeders who tend to deal with things differently… It’s a very different outcome with a pet house rabbit.

@Dface
              , haven’t you had to use a nebulizer with one Peep or Yumi?  I think @Bianca might have also had to use one with her Greebo, but I haven’t seen her active on the forum since we re-opened.

I’ve alerted the other moderators to see if any of them have any more info.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Dface
              Participant
              1084 posts Send Private Message

Hello!

Yup @DanaNM all my buns have been on a nebuliser at some point or other in their lives.

Peep is on one permanently – he suffered a very bad pseudomonas infection that has left him with chronic nasal discharge ( looks like inflammation of his turbinate)
                He is permanently on metacam (oral)  and f10 sterilization fluid (nebuliser)

I use on omron ne c28p with a childs size facemask for him and Yumi, and I made a nebulising chamber for Moink (because no way I could hold a creature of pure energy and rage)

I nebulise f10 sterilizing  fluid for about 30 minutes. This stuff is not actually medication so it isnt prescription and you can buy it online and I highhhly recommend it.  It used to be twice a day nebulising and metacam but now it is less frequent and he only needs it on days his breathing is bad.

I would try and get a culture done if I were you. They are expensive and may not show up anything, but for my boy the culture and sensitivity is likely what saved his life; none of the antibiotics that are used in rabbits would actually have helped him- he had a rare and very resistant strain that needed to be treated with antibiotics not usually used in rabbits.

With a nebuliser you are looking for a lower decibal level if you can (so the noise doesn’t scare them ) and a partical size of about 3.0 µm  to try get it into the lower airways , i think 5 µm is considered too large and will only deposit in the upper airways, whereas too small (like 0.5 µm is easily exhaled instead of deposited) – this was correct as of when I last checked ~ two ish years ago so there  may be new information around that.

A lot of people will also use saline solution- this is great for breaking up thick mucus, but long term I find that the salt irritates the skin and the lining of the nose, and doesnt have the same scope for retarding the development of viruses/bacteria as F10, but short term if you have easier access to saline solution I myself used it for quiet a while before moving on to the F10 stuff.

• ergodic
                Participant
                123 posts Send Private Message

I figured I would chime in, George nebulized for most of his life. He had chronic URI problems. He was nebulized 2X a day 15-20 min each with saline and acetylcysteine. I too made nebulization chamber for George. George lived until 7, he did not pass away because of the URI. He was happy his entire life. It may just be a chronic problem with Charlie he may also have allergies that are instigating the problems. Nebulization definitely helps, you can even nebulize with antibiotics which is a lot more effective, and increases the variety of antibiotics that can be used.

I know I felt discourage at first because of the horror stories, but at least for George we got it under control and it was just a matter of living management.

As to the nebulizer I used I used vetneb (you can google it and find it on livestock supply shops), and for the cup I used airlife misty max 10 I found they worked really well.

• whispercalm
                  Participant

Thank you for the info about nebulizing. We are back to vet this afternoon. Charlie was sitting by me on couch and sneezed out a bunch of nasty stuff.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Discouraged