Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Curious

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    • sarah bowden
      Participant
      85 posts Send Private Message

For those of you with Lionhead bunnies….are they really high maintance? I am going into work at the shelter on Monday and I will post some pics of the Dutch/Lionhead babies. They are just too cute. But I have no idea how much brushing and so on one of these little babies would require!

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

It depends a bit on the particular bunny.  We have several lionheads in our system right now, and some of them are total poof balls like an angora while other just have a short mane and nothing else.

Wisp is a poof ball:

Harrison (the little brown one of the pair) has hardly any long fur at all:

• KatnipCrzy
          Participant
          2981 posts Send Private Message

sbunny-

Where in Michigan are you?  I am not looking for another bunny- as I am a new bunny Mom already.  But I am curious to know where the babies are.  I have a friend at work that is considering getting a house bunny- though I might steer her towards an adult bonded pair.

I was so sad to see how many bunnies are listed for Kent County Humane Society on petfinder (Grand Rapids). 

I am not sure if there are any rabbit rescue people working in SW Michigan or if the bunnies mainly stay with the humane societies as their only chance.

Thanks-  Julie

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
            Participant
            319 posts Send Private Message

I have two lionheads and they hardly need any grooming. They dont shed either. I brush them just to bond with them since they enjoy it very much. But not because they need it.

• MarkBun
              Participant
              2842 posts Send Private Message

I’ve always loved Harrison. He looks like a cartoon character after an exploding cigar went off…

• sarah bowden
                Participant

I guess all bunnies really are different! The babies at the shelter are dutch mixes so they are a little more like that cutie Harrison.

Katnipcrzy, the shelter I work at is in Plymouth, Mi. And we have many adult pairs to choose from. Leslie and Minx are a great pair. So are Latte and Mocha, Jaleana and Vladamir, Codie and Howie, Brit and Broodle,…..I could go on and on. I love them all. But you can check them out on petfinder, we have over 150 bunnies right now that need homes!
                  Oh and did I mention Maglio and Merry Moppet?

• bunnytowne
                  Participant
                  7537 posts Send Private Message

my lionhead cotton hardly needs brushing the other shed and needed lots of brushing and his huge mane grew out. at 1 yr. some shed and the mane wont’ come back some shed and at 1 yr or 1 1/2 yr a huge mane grows out. b4 the huge mane grew out and the major shed came neither one needed much brushing. cotton shed a little like once when I first had him it has been months n months and he hasn’t shed since. he has very thick coat a skirt and some longish hair around his head but not all that long like when I first saw him at 8 weeks. they dont’ require as much grooming as angoras is what I understand they are not that high maintenance they are a lot easier than angora’s.

• notjulesverne
                    Participant
                    207 posts Send Private Message

When Piccolino was little I couldn’t get him to hold still long enough for me to brush him, so I had to do “run by brushings” as best as I could. It worked for the most part, but he did get 2 little dreadlocks on his head mane, but I was able to snip them off carefully. Now that he is older he toleratesbrushing a little more, but really he seems to not need it.  He is very good at grooming himself, so I rarely see even a slight little tangle. The lady from the Rabbit Haven told me you should separate the little clumps of hair with your fingers by pulling it apart rather than brushing.  Long answer, but basically  not high maintenance IMHO. And he has a lot of hair! I think he is what is called a “double mane”. his back is all short hair now and he has a mane all over his head and a dust ruffle all around the bottom half of his little body.

1215494124371.jpg
                      1215494164954.jpg

• skunklionshow
                      Participant
                      1257 posts Send Private Message

I have Leo, the lionhead.  He looks alot like Harrison, w/ just a mane around his head or…what was that like a cartoon character that had a cigar blow up in his face.  The kids used to love brushing him at school, though he didn’t really need it.  I find that Jessica, my dwarf, needs more regular brushings than Leo.  An excellent feature of Leo is that I can style his mane.  Sometimes I push it all forward and kinda spike it so he looks like a little bad ass bunny!

• MimzMum
                        Participant
                        8029 posts Send Private Message

Posted By markusdark on 02/14/2008 3:47 PM
                          I’ve always loved Harrison. He looks like a cartoon character after an exploding cigar went off…

OMG (rofl!) That is too funny! XD He does look like that. OH gosh, Wisp and Harrison are so precious! I wish I could take them home with me!

I was worried that Pip would need a lot of maintenance, being half-lionhead, but she actually sheds less fur than Mimzy does, and he looks like a shorthaired. I took enough off of him during this first molt to add it to the bunny surrogate I am going to use for their bonding process.

• Staja
                          Participant
                          59 posts Send Private Message

Harrison is absolutely gorgeous!

• sarah bowden
                            Participant

OMG! all of your bunnies are adorable! I can’t wait to post some pics of the babies at the shelter for you all.

• kimberleyanddarren
                              Participant
                              2520 posts Send Private Message

my lionhead doesnt have anywhere near that much fur he has a little on his body and about an inch around his head so he isnt very difficult its not like he is an angora! notjulesverne’s bunny is way more hairy that mine so it just depends on the bunny i guess

• RabbitPam
                                11002 posts Send Private Message

I like his bunny toy, too.

I’ve seen that cute little white bunny toy somewhere else, but I can’t remember where to buy it.

Would you let me know where you got the little stuffed bunny in the picture with Harrison, please?

thanks.

• osprey
                                  Participant
                                  2065 posts Send Private Message

For Other Living Things custom makes them and sells the stffed bunnies.  They are hand sewn.  I use their product for props in my photos all the time.

• Lisa_43
                                    Participant
                                    1499 posts Send Private Message

I didn’t realize how many different types of bunnies there are, they sure are cute.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                                      Participant
                                      971 posts Send Private Message

I have 2 Lionheads; Yuuki and Kibou.

Yuuki is a 7 month old Lionhead male who has completed most of his ‘shedding’ out. He started in December…so now he doesn’t require as much grooming as he used to…here are before and after his shedouts…

Before:

And mostly after:

I really should update that picture. It was from December, after his first major shed, and now he’s soooo dark all over except the mane and his poochy legs.

Anyway, here’s Kibou as of now… she’s a Lionhead too, and is around 6 months old, but she hasn’t started her shed out yet:

She is pretty much a cloud on little legs…!

And yes, she has blue eyes

She requires a bit more brushing, as you can tell!

• RabbitPam
                                        11002 posts Send Private Message

osprey,

Thanks soooooo much!

(Human does binkies.)

• kimberleyanddarren
                                          Participant
                                          2520 posts Send Private Message

omg lion_lop your bunny looks like he is wearing eye liner its so cute! hehe

• notjulesverne
                                            Participant
                                            207 posts Send Private Message

Awww Yuuki and Kibbou are adorable…Yuuki is just a smidge older than Piccolino!

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Curious