Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cheek bumps?

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
    • Tichelibun
      Participant
      24 posts Send Private Message

I have an 8 month old, 15lb. French Lop. I have noticed bumps on his cheeks, farther back on his head, in approximatly the same spot as the human jaw hinge. The bumps are tall and thin. They FEEL similar to the base of whiskers, although there are no whiskers there. I have tried taking a closer look, but I cannot separate the fur enough to see anything. They are VERY thin. They don’t seem sore; in fact, my bun loves it when I rub his cheeks under his ears. They are not red or hot, and they do not change. I don’t know if this is a recent development or if he’s had them since he was a baby, since he did not warm up to me for a long time.

If anyone knows what these are, or if other rabbits have them, please let me know. Thanks!

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

Welcome Tichelibun! It sounds like the bumps you are referring to are the scent glands that are located along the lower jaw line of a bunny.  If you watch you can see a rabbit rub an object like a chair leg with its jaw much like a cat.  This leaves their scent and is a way of claiming territory. Have you had a veterinary check-up with your guy?

• Tichelibun
          Participant

I thought maybe that was it! I should take him in for a check-up anyway, as he hasn’t been yet. I plan on getting Frank neutered as well. Thanks for your help!

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant

No problem! They can be quite odd in texture and a scare if you don’t know what they are as bunnies are normally so soft and smooth, especially around the face, with the exception of the whiskers of course. That’s great you check over your bun when you are given the moment, it makes it easier for you to discern when something is not right. I love lop eared bunnies, they are so precious. When you call your bunny savvy vet, make sure the age is about right for neutering to save an extra trip (and cost) and let us know how it goes and if you have any questions with neutering!

• Tichelibun
              Participant

I don’t want to get on a tanget unrelated to the topic. However, there are 3 or 4 vet clinics in the immediate area that treat rabbits. How do I know which one is best? I’m so worried to turn Frank over to someone else, and I’m even more worried about surgery!

• osprey
                Participant
                2065 posts Send Private Message

Hah, those are scent glands!  I always wondered what they were.  Curly Sue’s are very pronounced, Deanna’s and DJ’s not as much.  They feel like tiny pebbles.

• Gravehearted
                  Participant
                  2428 posts Send Private Message

welcome Tichelibun!

Hurray that you’re investing in finding a  great vet to care for your bun and neuter him. Since bunnies are still considered exotics, so many vets really don’t know enough about them to give them first rate care.  My first recommendation is to see if any vets in your area are listed on HRS’ list of vets link below. http://www.rabbit.org/vets/vets.html

Also there’s a list of questions to ask a vet’s office to find out how bunny knowledgable they are.
                    http://www.rabbit.org/faq/sections/vet.html

Another great idea is to check in with a local rabbit  rescue group, since they will know the local vets and may have a good recommendation for you and Frank.

• Deleted User
                    Participant
                    22064 posts Send Private Message

I was reading your profile, your bun is 15 lbs??? Holy rusted metal batman. That is a big bun. My Connor is a big boy and my coney is a minature so there is a huge difference in size there as well. I love his little face, it reminds me of a stuffed teddy bear.

• Tichelibun
                      Participant

Yes, Frank is larger than a my sister’s cat. In fact, the cat is terrified of him! French lops typically run 10-15 lbs, but the rest of Franks family back where I purchased him were all right up at 15. They had one large French Lop that even weighed in at 16!

• Deleted User
                        Participant
                        22064 posts Send Private Message

My gosh, I have never heard of that breed. I am going to check it out now. I thought that my Connor was bit at 9 1/2 pounds!

• BinkyBunny
                          8776 posts Send Private Message

I just wanted to say welcome!  And I LOVE french lops.  Big beautiful bunnies!

• wendyzski
                            Participant
                            1312 posts Send Private Message

Ooooooh – I am jealous.  Frenchies are great – big and floofy and laid back.  I missed out on the last Frenchie to come through our local shelter.  Zeus was 14 lbs and a big ol’ softie.  Now he has a forever home and his best friend is a golden retriever.

• MooBunnay
                              Participant
                              3087 posts Send Private Message

Hello Tichelibun! My boyfriend is going to be soooo jealous when he finds out you’ve got a 15 pound bunny. He wants a HUGE rabbit to greet us at the door every day Your bunny photo is so cute, it looks like he is taking a glamour shot!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                Participant

My word that is one big bunny! I love your siggy, Frank the disapproving lop.  Moobunnay gave you some great ways to get started choosing the right vet that you can feel comfortable with handling and performing surgery on Frank.

• LillyBear
                                  Participant
                                  223 posts Send Private Message

omg can i have your bun.. !?! lol. i love BIG bunnies.. too bad I don’t have one

• Tichelibun
                                    Participant

I’ve been on fall break from my college, and away from my computer, but I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your nice words about Frank and French Lops! I’ve passed it all on to him and he’s quite proud of himself now.

I know I’m lame, but he has a Facebook account where I post pics of him. A lot of them are blurry, but if anyone wants to check it out, there are more bunny pics of him, and it’s a great way to get in touch with other bunny owners, exchange info, etc. It’s how I found this forum! I think the two sites compliment each other when combining your pet’s life with your online life. You can find Frank just by searching "Frank Ticheli"

• Scarlet_Rose
                                      Participant

Oh dear, I hope Frank doesn’t get a big head now and expect the compliements all the time now is he?  You are so not lame and I imagine that there are more than just a few members here who have set up the same sort of thing.  I am so glad the word about Binky Bunny is getting around!

• skunklionshow
                                        Participant
                                        1257 posts Send Private Message

He is sooooo cute!  I love biggins!  My cat, Max, was an Indiana farm cat.  He’s definately a larger framed kitty, but extra snuggley.  The vet thought it was funny that he wasn’t fat, just large framed.  That’s awesome that there are so many rabbit vets in Peoria.  When I grew up in Chgo, Peoria was still kinda rural, so I guess that’s why they might have a plethora of bun vets.

• Tichelibun
                                          Participant

Sadly, none of the vets listed at the link given above are ones in the Peoria area. However I did read how to screen vets to find a good one! Thank you so much!

• Scarlet_Rose
                                            Participant

That’s too bad, but hopefully you’ll find a great one nearby!

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Cheek bumps?