Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Wild baby bunny eating enough?? + Other stuff

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Mae
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Yesterday I found a very young baby bun on the sidewalk while walking my dog (I only noticed because me dog sniffed it). He is doing good, and I’ve researched a lot, but sadly there isn’t a lot of information and there isn’t a rehabber near me. Right now I’m feeding him kitten formula with bacteria powder I just got today. I just tried to feed him at around 8:30 PM or so, as the last time I fed him was about 9:00 PM last night, but he didn’t drink much… Part of me feels like I’m worrying too much because he twice yesterday, but to me he doesn’t look as plump, but he is not blue or squeaking for food!  

There is also a few other things. He licks me a lot! I am confused by this, because he licks himself too. Does he feel safe or something? Is it a bad sign? Also he twitches sometimes when he is sleeping, I know that because he sleeps in my bra, he is unhappy anywhere else! which leads me to my next worry, which is that he wont sleep in the box I made him.. He just wanders around cluelessly until i pick him up, then he falls asleep on me. I felt so bad I had to sleep with him last night… My goodness I need to shut up, this is getting too long… 

If anyone knows anything about wild baby behavior I would appreciate the advice! Also, I’m guessing he is around 5 days to a week old, as he has fur but his ears and eyes aren’t open yet, but he has started moving his ears and eyelids a bit.

• jerseygirl
        22342 posts Send Private Message

That is very young!

Unfortunately, the success rate of rearing wild rabbits is very low. Even for experienced rehabbers. It’s chances might be better if you can find someone with a domestic rabbit who is nursing and see if she’ll accept this baby.

This information from the house rabbit society covers a lot about orphaned wild rabbits, including how much to feed.
          http://rabbit.org/faq-orphaned-baby-bunnies/

• Bam
          16871 posts Send Private Message

He is indeed very young and he probably wants to sleep on you because you are a warm “animal”. Baby buns lie close to each other in the nest, wrapped in the mama’s fur. Your bra is probably an excellent substitute for litter mates. Because he is so young, he should sleep most of the time.

The licking is a grooming behavior and buns display it when they are looking for affection. It has been seen in studies that all mammals enjoy grooming and being groomed, and that grooming increases the levels of oxytocin in the blood. My guess is this is why he grooms both you and himself -it makes him feel safe and calm. It’s not a bad sign. I have an adult bun who is very licky. Rabbits can also groom objects, like pillows or toys.

As for food, I’m sure you’ve read they only eat once or twice per day and fill up really quickly. You should be able to see the tummy get nicely rounded after feeding. They eat so seldom because the milk is extremely rich in fat. Kitten replacement formula is not at all as fat and it’s recommended you mix it with cream.

You can of course weigh him daily to make sure he’s gaining. I weigh my bun in a bowl on digital kitchen scales. Be sure to write down the weight each time -I find it impossible to remember.

I hope you’ll be able to find a wildlife rehabbed who is interested in saving your bun. As Jersey says, it is very difficult.

If he makes it I think he’ll be happy with a plushy toy later on, instead of sleeping in your bra. But for now, your bra really in the best place for him. He should have a plushy (or something like a plushy) and be in a nest box with high enough sides that he can’t wander around when you can’t carry him.

• Bladesmith
            Participant
            849 posts Send Private Message

Also a suggestion for the times you can’t hold him, is a hot water bottle. Or a microwavable heating pad. Something warm to cuddle up next to. Baby bunnies crave warm.

• Bam
              16871 posts Send Private Message

Bladesmith makes a very important point. Baby buns need warmth or they can’t take up the nutrients from their food.

• Mae
                Participant
                3 posts Send Private Message

He opened his eyes yesterday, and now I have a new worry that I cant find anything on, which I spontaneously posted but I realize I just could have asked one of you, whoops.

Eating has been easier ever since I got an eye dropper, as it fits in his much easier, and he is now pooping, but he refuses to sleep in his box and insists on trying to sleep with me… But other than that, I live in a very small town and I don’t think I would be able to find anyone with a nursing rabbit, sadly. 

He still does the head shaking thing but he doesn’t do it as much. He also has started biting my finger in his sleep  But He seems to be doing pretty good, he is curious and climbs around sometimes, though I am worried about him having a neurological problem as he is unusually clumsy, even flipping on his back sometimes. But that might just be how a baby bunny acts, I’ve never had baby rabbits. 

As for him cuddling a toy, I tried that but he ignores it. I’m going to try a hot water bottle or microwaved rice pillow tonight.

Thanks for the advice!

• Bladesmith
                  Participant
                  849 posts Send Private Message

Careful on the temps, it’d be easy to make it too hot.

And as well as your warmth, he’s probably hearing your heartbeat which is also comforting to the baby. And he knows your scent, and by now thinks you’re mommy. Looks like you have a new bedmate for a while.

• LittlePuffyTail
                    18092 posts Send Private Message

Mae posted in her other thread that this poor little bun has since passed away. Locking this thread now with a link to her other thread if you’d like to leave condolences.

https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/ta…spx#601805

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • The topic ‘Wild baby bunny eating enough?? + Other stuff’ is closed to new replies.

Forum DIET & CARE Wild baby bunny eating enough?? + Other stuff