Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Vitamin Supplement Help

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • Abby3298
      Participant
      2 posts Send Private Message

My bunny, Nellie, has GI issues pretty regularly. Recently she had a really bad case of Stasis that led to bloat and if it wasn’t for the last-minute decision to buy infant gas relief drops I probably would have lost her. When I had taken her in to the vet on day one of not eating, the vet made a comment about how this seems to happen a lot and prescribed me a vitamin B supplement to give her every day. Which is great, BUT the supplement is to be given through a syringe. When she was sick that wasn’t too big of an issue considering how lethargic she was. Now that she is better, she is back to not wanting to be handled and won’t let this syringe near her mouth. Anytime I try to give it to her and I’m restaining her pretty well she’ll turn her head and start biting my shirt. She really hates being handled. I’ve given her other supplements in the past but she liked the taste of them and didn’t care enough to put up a fight. Does anyone have any tips on how to incorporate this supplement into her diet without force-feeding? It’s a liquid supplement and I believe it is called Pet Tinic.

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

If she gets fresh greens you could maybe squirt some on the veg before you serve them? Vitamin B tends to have a pretty strong taste though, so try with just a little bit for starters.

It is stressful for most rabbits to be restrained and force fed, so that’s obviously not very good unless you absolutely have to give meds or force feed. If you know what’s in the supplement, maybe you could get an edible one with roughly the same contents? Oxbow have vitamin supplements in the form of chewable tablets, I’m sure there are other brands as well.

Rabbits produce their own vitamin bs in their intestines with the aid of their gut microbes. This requires a sound and sturdy gut microbiome (bacteria and fungi, like yeasts, that live in the gut and help break down food into usable micronutrients). A rabbit probiotic can help keep the gut microbiome in good order so the bun can produce enough vitamin b on its own. As for prebiotics (the food the gut microbes live on), hay is the absolute best one.

• Abby3298
          Participant
          2 posts Send Private Message

I didn’t think to put it on her morning veggies! I’ll give that a try tomorrow! I’ll also try to get her a hay rack, maybe she’ll eat more hay if it was in more places than just her litterbox. Thank you!

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

Rabbits often do eat more hay if it is in different places around their area. It’s a more natural way for them to forage for food. Also, found hay often trumps given hay!

• Littlemouse93
              Participant
              36 posts Send Private Message

You could also maybe try mixing a little unsweetened applesauce or critical care in with it, so that it’s yummy. Or maybe putting a little banana on the end of the syringe – although if it has a strong taste that might not work as well.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Vitamin Supplement Help