Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Sudden Death of my Baby Penelope???

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Nia
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Can anybody help me understand how my bunny died? I had a Holland lop from my pet store I work at for about a month. One morning, she was just dead on her side. No symptoms. Played fine and weighed a perfect weight! I gave her plenty hay, pellets every other day, plenty of toys and water. She was raised with another rabbit who also stayed in the cage with her. I used rabbit specific disinfectant and cleaned the cage every 5 days. I took them out to play but kept a close eye on them. The only hunch I have is that I used rabbit shampoo on her (that spray stuff.) I dried her off of course, but maybe not enough. Did she die of hypothermia? Or maybe something else? Please help me. I don’t know why she died so suddenly.

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

I’m very sorry you lost your Penelope.

It’s not possible to say with any certainty what took her without a necropsy.

Young rabbits have sensitive tummies, but if something goes wrong with the young bunny tummy, you tend to see poop irregularities or outright diarrhea. Your Penelope showed no such symptoms. She was obviously well cared for, she was a good weight etc. That makes hypothermia unlikely even if you didn’t dry her 100%. She wasn’t soaking wet and she even had a rabbit friend to cuddle up to if she needed to.

I am just guessing now of course, but she could have had a congenital heart problem. Her heart could have given out suddenly, without warning.

It seems you took very good care of her.

****Penelope****

• BunnyMinion
          Participant
          9 posts Send Private Message

I feel your pain. I just posted about my bun Tiara — I lost her for no apparent reason at 3yrs old. One moment she was flopped looking happy and then she was gone. I took extra good care of her because she was a Jersey Woolie (a bit more high maintenance as far as grooming and diet) and also because its not an easy breed to find in my area. I spoke to her breeder and she also seemed to think the reason may have been congenital because Jerseys carry the dwarf gene. I think Holland lops carry it to? But I’ll never really know. I’m sorry for your loss. I know I blame myself often, but regardless they’re gone and there is nothing we could’ve done. Hang in there. </3 

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Sudden Death of my Baby Penelope???