Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BEHAVIOR Straw

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • auntie
      Participant
      91 posts Send Private Message

Hey y’all

I’m thinking about getting straw for my rabbits for the winter months any recommendations on what brand to get and where to buy it ?

also my rabbits which are males will be getting neutered at the end of the month. Any suggestions on how to bond them after?

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Would the straw be just for bedding? I think most people just use extra timothy hay so they have food as well. Either way, I would look for a local feed shop where you could buy a bale.

As for bonding, there’s some great info to get you started here: https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/bonding/

Usually it’s good to wait 3-4 weeks after neutering to start the actual dates to allow their hormones to drain from their system. The key things you’ll need are a “neutral territory” (an area where neither bunny has been) and lots of patience. 🙂 Once their hormones are settled you will do supervised “dates” in the neutral territory and prevent fighting (super important to prevent as much as possible). I like to start with some short sessions to get a sense of how they are together, then you can start increasing the length of sessions. There are lots of tips and tricks but sometimes it makes sense to just see how they do at first and go from there. 🙂

Ultimately the goal is to have them spend at least 48 hrs together (supervised) with no fighting or aggression, and lots of positive behaviors (grooming, cuddling, sharing litter box, etc).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• BZOO
          Participant
          330 posts Send Private Message

If you can find it, Standlee chopped straw is the way to go.

Comes in a large compressed bag and is SO much easier to work with than regular straw.

If you have a feed store near you, it’s typically sold for chicken coops.

There is regular straw and some with zeolite, so be sure to get the regular stuff.

• auntie
            Participant
            91 posts Send Private Message

Thank you for all the information

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BEHAVIOR Straw