Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A speaking of shedding…

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • babybunsmum
      Participant
      3896 posts Send Private Message

is it normal for new zealand whites to have a shorter coat in the summer? 

pinky is shedding up a storm & i just firbinated her on the front porch (funny because tufts of white pinky hair floated down the street & i noticed some kids trying to catch some).  i noticed that she has patches where the hair is quite short. 

just for fun here’s a pic of her…

1528365015471.jpg

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

No experience here with New Zealands, but my boy DJ has the same length fur as an NZ and he definitely gets shorter fur in the summer.  Right now he is midway through a shed, and he looks like he’s got patches on his back and lines across his middle because of the difference in fur lengths.

• babybunsmum
          Participant

ahhh.  interesting.  thanks osprey.  baby bun’s shed never looked like that so this was all new to me.  i shall continue with the furbinating!

• Sarita
            Participant
            18851 posts Send Private Message

I honestly cannot discern any patterns with my rabbits – some seem to shed up a storm and some seem to hardly shed at all. My NZ white has very short coarse hair and I don’t think in the 5 years I’ve had her that she’s had a moult at all or seems to shed much at all.

I have 2 Californian mixes right now (can’t know if they are pure Californians) and one shed’s constantly and has just tons of fur and one hardly sheds at all like my NZ.

I have 2 agouti colored rabbits and one has hardly ever shed since I got her and the other one is shedding up a storm right now but he lunges and bites at me so I have a hard time handling him to brush him – it just takes some courage on my part :~)

• babybunsmum
              Participant

yeah… that would take courage sarita!  

fortunately with pinky i’ve gotten to the point where i can hold her for long periods of time.  she doesn’t like it of course so it’s not a regular thing i put her through but it’s handy for grooming her.  i can sit her on my chest & furbinate her back & sides.  still haven’t figured out how to brush out either bun’s chest or belly.  they get to upset and i loose my will to put them through it.

• bunnytowne
                Participant
                7537 posts Send Private Message

for belly and chest hair I put a hand under cottons front legs and hold him up with his hind feet being stood upon by him. I do it real soft and he has learned not to put up a fuss.

ahaa chasing Pinky’s hair down the street ahahaa.   the weather man reported a flurrie today of white Pinky hair so look out folks who live on Pinky bunnies street you can expect to see fur flurries for about a month now.

• BinkyBunny
                  8776 posts Send Private Message

Jack is supposedly part NZ and part Rhilander (and who knows what else) but I notice that in the summer his usual course hair becomes shorter and much softer.

• babybunsmum
                    Participant

hahaha bunnytowne!  bunny hair flurries

bb i thought i saw NZ in jack.  he has a lot of similarities to pinky poo.  yes, the shorter hair patches are very very soft!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A speaking of shedding…