Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Snorkly sounding bunny!

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • MungosMom
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

I’m brand new to forums of any kind, but I sure need someone to talk bunny with!

My sweet Mungo is a 1-year-old Flemish Giant. He’s sandy colored with ginormous ears and huge feet. The vet says he’s still growing!

Mungo makes the oddest snorkely noise. Our vet (who we adore by the way), says his chest, lungs, and throat all sound great. She can’t figure out why he’d be making the noise and wonders if he has a “long soft pallet”. Anyone know? He otherwise seems perfectly healthy.

My only problem with Mungo, who is sooo laid back and gentle (I’ve added a photo of him with our kittens in HIS house) is that he won’t pee in his litter boxes. He poops there. I’ve put litter boxes in his favorite peeing corners, and he just shoves them aside and pees on the floor. I’m guessing I’ll never get nice new carpet as long as I have my bun! It’s really most annoying.

• HatterBunny
        Participant
        269 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! Is he neutered?

• Karla
          Participant
          1624 posts Send Private Message

Jack did a lot of snorking as well. I read once that Dana Krempel recommends you tell this to your vet if the bunny is up for surgery or any sedation as it might be a problem with the pallate, as you are mentioning. I did tell my vet, who just said, that we all snore. He didn’t think much of it. So perhaps it is common, I don’t know. My vet wasn’t that rabbit-savvy, but all the times Jack was under sedation, it was no problem.

It never seemed to bother Jack, so it was just part of his cute personality. So, if Mungo seems fine, then don’t worry.

When he pees, do you clean it up with vinegar?

• Elrohwen
            Participant
            7318 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! I’ve love to see pics. Sandy flemmies are so gorgeous.

There’s a bunny at the rescue who is also snorkley and they can’t figure out why. It doesn’t seem to be an infection, so they just let her go for now.

Some buns are also just talkers. My new girl grunts while she’s pigging out on veggies.

• MungosMom
              Participant

Thanks guys! He is fixed. I have tried to clean the urine with either baking soda (which always worked for my cat pee) or Kids ‘n Pets.

I’ve tried to add a photo, but for some reason it’s not coming up here. (Not too tech savvy…)

• Monkeybun
                Participant
                10479 posts Send Private Message

Try vinegar for cleaning it up instead. Baking soda might affect his breathing a bit, being all dusty and all.

• jerseygirl
                  22345 posts Send Private Message

Welcome to the forums!
                    I’m not sure what snorkly even sounds like. lol What size litter boxes do you have for Mungo? Perhaps try super sizing them as see it makes any difference. It’s funny ans usually it’s the other way around – peeing in the box and pooing everywhere else. Do you have hay in his box? (This could be why he keeps his poops to the box which good!)

• MungosMom
                    Participant

Thanks for the responses!
                      Snorkly sounds like water bubbling in a snorkle.

I’ll try the vinegar. I try to keep the hay out of the box. Wondering if part of the problem is that the kittens like to use his super size boxes too. I think they think they’re bunnies, as they eat his hay and his spinach and broccoli….

I live in a weird zoo.

• jerseygirl
                      22345 posts Send Private Message

Ah…the kittens might just be the problem. As you say “kittens” and Mungo is 1yr old, the kittens are obviously new in his life.

I’m going to be a total busy body and link yout litter training thread from Behaviour Forum here.

https://www.binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/a…fault.aspx

That way answers regarding that can be contained to that thread. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Snorkly sounding bunny!