Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A She loves to chew!!

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • sarah bowden
      Participant
      85 posts Send Private Message

So apparantly my new rabbit Isabella LOVES to chew.

The first indication of this was, when my daughter went to put on her favorite froggy rain boots and the top was chewed to bits. Then last night she chewed through an entire willow wreath!! I also love the willow wreaths (they smell so good and look so pretty) but for as fast as she goes through them, they’re a little too pricey.

Any one have some good (and cheap) suggestions for a bunnies chewing pleasure?

• Beka27
        Participant
        16016 posts Send Private Message

i got Meadow an untreated wastebasket at the dollar store.  she loves to chew a hole in it and then pull out the long strips.  i do take the strips away tho once they’re pulled out, so she just heads right back to the basket and chews it up again.  it’s super cheap and once it’s gone i can go back and get another.  the hidden bonus:  i use it to keep her other various toys (papertowel rolls, baby keys, cat toys, lids, and cups…) together in one place when she’s not using them…

• MarkBun
          Participant
          2842 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit loves rubber. I don’t what it is with her but if there is a rubber band anywhere within reach, she’s bit it in half and is trying to swallow it like spaghetti. You should see the look on her face when I take it away from her and pull out about 3 inches from her mouth!

I have found that if I crumple up paper just a little bit, so that a corner is sticking out in the air at about her head level, she will run by it, stop and chew like a demon trying to get rid of it. That tends to keep her happy.

• wendyzski
            Participant
            1312 posts Send Private Message

Pepper gets untreated baskets and wicker paper-plate holders from the $1 store, cardboard boxes to run through (I cut the doors a little on the small side so that she can enlarge them) and seagrass mats from Cost Plus ($10 for a strip of 10).

That and I try to keep stuff I don’t want chewed up off the floor – after all, I’M supposed to be the one with the big brain.  I should be able to remember that.  Especially after she tried to eat my favorite granny boots and chewed a hole in my purse.

• Beka27
              Participant

maybe try junk mail too… Meadow loves catalogs… just make sure she doesn’t ingest the paper…

ooh… what’s this?  a catalog?  for little ole me?  why… i’m just gonna help myself…

(the blurry pics are of Meadow throwing the catalog thru the air…)

111843114071.jpg
                111843123454.jpg
                111843126558.jpg
                111843131229.jpg
                111843137431.jpg

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant
                12067 posts Send Private Message

An old towel…or any towel if you are like me and don’t mind using holey towels all the time (my boyfriend has one that is off bunny limits) hehe

Phone books

Junk mail

Shredded news paper

‘snack shacks” (totally edible bunny huts, similar to the igloo-but totally edible with a grassy roof)

toilet and paper towel rolls

toilet paper roll with the paper

apple wood sticks (and no other fruit wood!!!)

CARDBOARD is an awesome one, get a box, put a couple holes in it and they can hide in the box while chewing….Oh go crazy and make a whole mulit level cardboard condo!!

• Scarlet_Rose
                  Participant
                  4293 posts Send Private Message

Sbunny, I haven’t any more chewing ideas, everyone pretty much covered everything.  

Beka – Thanks for the photos those were great!

• sarah bowden
                    Participant
                    85 posts Send Private Message

Wow! Thanks for all the tips.
                      I have a ton of magazines laying around so I’m going to give that a try.
                      I tried the towel thing, but she mainly just rearrainges it. (” Now where should this go?)
                      She has a cardboard box outside of her pen, but I just put one on the inside and already the windows are getting bigger.
                      But still there is this one door frame that is irresitible too bunnies!
                      I think I’m going to have to try the perfume or lemon oil trick for that.!!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                      Participant

When kokanee is rearranging things like blankies and towels…we pretend she is trying so hard to smooth out wrinkles and she is saying “Wrinkles!!! Wrinkles!!! AWWWW!”

• Gravehearted
                        Participant
                        2428 posts Send Private Message

my bunnies really love the maize mats that binkybunny sells, it’s keeps very busy and happy. they’re also very fond of junk mail, any toys made of willow and brown paper bags.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                          Participant

We *just* got a willow toy from here in the mail -we’ve never had one before (I’ve seen them on this site, but no stores seem to have them) and my bunnies went crazy for it! They immediately noticed it (nomally a treat or a toy or a new peice of ‘furniture’ gets ignored and unused for weeks with them) and haven’t given up chewing it! I think it’s so loved because it’s light enough that they can toss it and it’s very chewable!

• Scarlet_Rose
                            Participant
                            4293 posts Send Private Message

That’s awesome to hear! My two really like the willow flowers and grass ball that I stuff with hay and a few treats.  I haven’t seen any of Binky Bunny’s stuff for sale anywhere either.

• dmh426
                              Participant
                              433 posts Send Private Message

those are great pics of Meadow! She looks like Sophie. Rex?

I gave Sophie an old tshirt of mine. she chews on it, drools on it, sleeps in it. Untreated seagrass is AMAZING and lasts for quite a while. Old phone books, cardboard, cardboard, and oh, did i mention carboard? On a snowy Saturday (which we have a lot of here in upstate New York) I will put out a bunch of cardboard boxes with random holes for her to run in and out of, and hide treats in them- it’s just a good distraction from mommy’s pottery barn furniture. Apple branches are also very good, as is any kind of branch, especially untreated and in basket form.

• Beka27
                                Participant

^^^thanks!  yes… Meadow is a rex.  i did notice your pic, she looks like she could be Sophie’s long lost sister…

1112046658071.jpg
                                  1112046669054.jpg
                                  1112046673758.jpg
                                  1112046678429.jpg

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A She loves to chew!!