Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE RatRations Leaf Diversity

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • BrokenBlue
      Participant
      28 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

I placed an order on RatRations (mainly for my mice) and one of the things I ordered was their Leaf Diversity pack. They sell foods for a range of small animals and I was expecting the leaves to be safe for rabbits, but they don’t say and I wanted to check with you guys because I’m unsure about a couple.

• sunflower
        • birch
        • hazelnut
        • mirabelle
        • coneflower
        • cherry
        • apple
        • pear
        • raspberry
        • nettle
        • strawberry
        • mulberry
        • dandelion
        • mallow
        • walnut

I’ve fed a lot of these to my bunny already (we have a pretty rabbit safe garden 🙂 ) but I didn’t think cherry or walnut leaves were safe. Googling comes up with mixed answers. Can anyone confirm either way?

Thanks

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

Leaves of the prunus family (cherry and mirabelle) are not considered bunny safe. For  twigs and bark of those trees, a general rule is that they should be cured for 3 months before they’re safe to chew. They contain a chemical compound that breaks down into cyanide in the stomach. This is also the reason why rabbits shouldn’t have apple seeds, although all other parts of the apple tree is edible for rabbits.

Toxicity is highly dose-dependent, but I don’t know how much or how little of those leaves would hurt a bun. Since buns are delicate little creatures, I think it’s wisest not to try.  If something bad were to happen, even if not directly after eating this, you could end up wondering if it had to do with the mix or not.

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE RatRations Leaf Diversity