Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit won’t eat

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lisa Li
      Participant
      61 posts Send Private Message

My rabbit last night was acting normal, playing, using the litterbox, eating, etc. but this morning I saw him sleeping in his litterbox, which is unusual for him and I went to go feed him and I got him some Persley, he didn’t try going for it I thought it strange but I know sometimes he won’t eat them then I went to give one of his favorite, pellets he just sniffs them and went back to sleep. Okay, I’m kinda panicking at this point so I went to give his favorite treat where he never refuses but he also didn’t want it. It may be Gi because his ears are cold too. I also realize he ate about four inches of cardborad last night because he has like this cardboard box house, I think that may be the reason. The other problem is I can’t bring him to the vet, my parents aren’t home and I can’t drive yet or have money for transportation. The closet Rabbit vet is a 4-hour walk. I don’t think I can do anything 🙁 I’m trying to massages his stomach right now.

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

How long has it been since he last ate, and when might you be able to get him to the vet?

Can you give him simethicone or syringe feed him a little in the meantime?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Lisa Li
            Participant

The last time he ate was 2 am I give him some veggies as a snack and he had hay. I fed him breakfast at 9am and when to give him a treat at 2 pm I then realize he wasn’t eating. He one parsley cause I was trying to force him to eat it. I can’t bring him to the vet still and my parents aren’t home yet. I also tried syringe feed him a bit

• Cinnimon&Ollie
            Participant
            300 posts Send Private Message

When I had to syringe feed my bunny I put banana on the tip of the syringe which helped a lot. As soon as you can I would take him to the vet. If he starts eating again like normal then you don’t need too. Is he drinking water?

• Lisa Li
                Participant

My friend gives me some critical care since the vet was close and my parents are not taking my rabbit to the vet at 12am in the morning, I think the critical care work a bit, he drank a good amount water and this morning I found him using the litterbox but his dropping was not round

• LBJ10
                16908 posts Send Private Message

How is he now? Were you able to syringe feed him or give him some simethicone?

• Lisa Li
                    Participant

He did drink water and went to the litterbox this morning but the dropping was not round and Yes, critical care but I don’t have simethicone.

• Lisa Li
                      Participant

is been 24 hours and he hasn’t eaten by himself and I’ve been syringe feeding and I only can get to the vet by Saturday. do you think if I make him take more water and more critical care, would he be able manage to stay alive till Saturday which is two days from now on. He does run around a little bit, but that’s basically it.

• Bonny Girl
                        Participant
                        26 posts Send Private Message

First, do not feel bad about the cardboard box.  My bunny ate her boxes ALL the time and never suffered GI stasis.  There was one time that she was not eating for a few hours (had nothing to do with boxes).  She would have nothing to do with the critical care.  Out of panic, I remembered that years before she LOVED oatmeal (not the instant kind).  I bought this and gave it to her.  It worked! It has fiber and will help her (if she eats it).  I would also suggest banana, as bunnies love them!  You just need her to get eating until you can get her to the vet — I know you know that.  I am praying for you!  Keep us posted!

• Lisa Li
                          Participant

I’ll try my best :)) thank you for your kind words

• Bunnies
                            Participant
                            28 posts Send Private Message

You need to give your rabbit simeticone 1 cc for an hour every 3 hours then the rest every 4-6 hours 1ml-2ml google said and you need to check if the poop become smaller or it suddenly stop since sudden stop might be a cause of stomach blockage ( bloat ) or he/she just dehydrated that why it can’t poop or malformed poop sometimes if the rabbit does not poop i give him warm enema (giving water to the butt) 30-50ml i use a syringe but i remove the needle and the edges of the needle to keep it soft usally it has four side and kinda smooth it out just make sure it wont damage the part of the rabbit

• Lisa Li
                              Participant

what do you mean by “then the rest every 4-6 hours 1ml-2ml?”

• Lisa Li
                                Participant

My rabbit is 4.5 pounds, and how much simethicone should I give to him?

• DanaNM

@Bunnies simethicone does not treat stasis or blockage, only gas. It’s available as baby gas drops at pharmacies and can sometimes help with gas, but is not a cure-all.

@LisaLi , it is very good you are able to syringe feed. It is also very good he is drinking water, because hydration and fiber are the most important things for keeping the gut moving. Keep syringe feeding (3-4 times a day, anywhere from 6-10 mL at each feeding if you feel ok with that), and keep offering favorite foods, especially wet greens, and herbs. You can also give a tummy rub and encourage him to keep moving around. A few poops coming out is very good, even if they aren’t perfect looking.

The vet should hopefully be able to prescribe pain medication and possible a motility medication. Pain management is really important and often that alone can help a bun feel a lot better.

You also might try offering some hay tea: https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/hay-tea-for-anybunny-who-doesnt-drink-enough-especially-for-ill-or-recovering-rabbits/

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Lisa Li
                                    Participant

This morning I saw him ate a little he does eat but he does hesitate a bit, he also poop, it was bigger and rounder than two days ago. Drinking water is still normal, he’s more active today he was running around and stuff. But still sleeps a lot. @DanaNM does critical care help with a gi? cause I’ve been giving him that and belly massages and other digestive tablets for him.

• Lisa Li
                                      Participant

Update: he started eating hay just now, I was making sure he will eat so I give him some pellets and he ate them but he won’t eat the veggies he ate the parsley tho. Also, some of his poop is moist and is bigger than before. Hmm, should I mix the critical care with the tea hay instead of regular water?

• DanaNM

That’s really great he ate some greens and hay! Often rabbits in stasis wont eat their pellets, so that’s normal. Pellets are food but lower in fiber so it’s actually OK if he won’t eat them.

Critical care is not a treatment in itself for gastric stasis, but it is am important part of supportive care and for the rabbit’s eventual recovery. In your case, it is helping keep him from getting worse until you can get to the vet, and you are also seeing some signs of improvement, which is great!

Rabbit digestion functions a bit like a conveyor belt: if nothing goes in, nothing comes out. And then that sets off a whole bunch of other problems. Rabbits have evolved to eat mostly constantly, so not eating for more than 12 hours puts a bun in an emergency situation (they can have organ failure and other problems).

You can mix the critical care with hay tea if you’d like, or offer it in a small bowl for him to drink. When my Bun Jovi went into stasis a few years ago over the weekend hay tea was the only thing he would drink (he only liked it fresh so I made small batches), and I’m pretty sure it saved his life.

• Lisa Li
                                          Participant

he’s starting to eat normally again, but not as excited as before. his poop is starting to look normal again but just a bit darker

• DanaNM

That’s really great he’s starting to eat again. He prob still needs some more recovery time and care but sounds like thing are on the right track!

Viewing 6 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit won’t eat