Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A FOR MEMBER USE: Health Question Template

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • DanaNM
      4525 posts Send Private Message

The template below is intended to help give members background info that will help them to give advice and suggestions, particularly for health questions. Because rabbits hide symptoms so well, it is important to get a complete picture of the rabbit’s health! Please copy and paste the template below into your own thread and fill in the info. 

If your bunny has not eaten or pooped in 12 hours, this is an emergency. Call a vet immediately!

The answers provided in this forum are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Maintenance and Housing
      Is your bunny housed indoors or outdoors?
      Does your bunny live with other bunnies?
      If yes, are they bonded?
      If you rabbit spends time outside, are wild rabbits around?
      How much exercise does your bunny get per day?
      How often do you clean the litter box?
      How often do you groom your bunny?

Spay/Neuter
      Is your bunny spayed/neutered?
      If so, for how long?
      If not, why not?
      Are you aware of reproductive cancer risk in females? If not, please read about it here.

Pooping and Diet – Very Important
      What does your bunny eat normally:
      How much hay and what type?
      How much pellets and what type?
      How much veggies and what types?
      How many treats and what types?
      Anything else not listed?
      When was the last time your bunny ate? (If > 12 hours ago this is an emergency, contact a vet ASAP)
      What was the last thing your bunny ate?
      When was the last time your bunny pooped? (If > 12 hours ago this is an emergency, contact a vet ASAP)
      How did your bunny’s most recent poops look (round and firm, misshapen, small and hard, soft/mushy, runny, etc.) ?

Illness & Symptoms
      How long have you had this bunny?
      In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
      How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
      Have you consulted a vet?
      Have you started any treatment for the symptoms?
      Was your bunny physically ill or injured when you got them?
      How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?

Explain your situation in detail. (Please explain what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Addie105
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hi everyone,

This is my first time on a forum so forgive me if I’ve done it wrong. I need urgent advice please. I have a beautiful, prescious 7 year old house rabbit who is very ill. Christmas day we first noticed he wasn’t acting like himself, he was sitting hunched over almost rocking as he was breathing. He really went down hill and I realise he wasn’t eating and he hadn’t pooped. He refused even his favourite treats. We took him to the vet on call the next day and she said it was his stomach (basically GI stasis is how I took it) so she gave him fluids under the skin, an antibiotic injection and a shot of vitamin B12 to boost his appetite she said. We are to blend his pellets with carrots and leaves etc and syringe it into his mouth and give his some antibiotic for 3 more days. He completely did not improve but Dr Google suggested dioralyte to keep him from getting dehydrated so after a week of blankets, fires and TLC, by new year’s Day he really improved (half the rabbit he was, having lost weight and looking very dishevelled) he started pooping and eating less than normal but definitely eating and interested in treats again. Now the last 2 days he’s back to very unwell. He’s allowing us to put a blanket over him (not a hope usually) he’s begging for treats but completely uninteresting in it then when you give it to him. Yesterday I started giving him dioralyte again, but I really feel it’s his teeth that’s the problem. I think he wants to eat but it’s painful to do so. The vet I took him to was completely shocked that he was a 7 year old rabbit and said he was old and it could just be old age, she checked his ears and his teeth (only the front ones though I think) but I know there’s lots of life left in him. He’s completely Pampered, he’s my baby, there’s no kids in the house and he has the run of the place.

I took a video of him after eating a peanut (his favourite) but I can’t seem to upload it, but it takes him ages to eat one (usually he’s like a shredder) and he’s drooling down the side of his face and chest, his mouth is opening wide and his jaw is almost going in circular motions! He’s actually making slurping, slobbery noises and drinking is the same, it all drips down his face and chest and he gets all flustered and starts flapping his paws to clean his face! He seems to be struggling with excess drool, and he’s almost chewing the cud even when he’s not eating. Please please please help me. Rabbits aren’t kept as house pets here in Ireland, they are left outside in hutches and forgotten about, I really don’t think I’ll get a vet that really has experience with 7 year old rabbits.

Have you seen your rabbit do this? Any advice much appreciated.

Thank you

• Bam
      14631 posts Send Private Message

Im sorry this is happening to you and your bun.

I agree it sounds like a dental issue. He wants to eat, but he just can’t. It can probably be difficult to find a good rabbit vet in Ireland just now, due to the covid situation.

The most important thing to do now is to keep him warm and to feed him. Pellet mush is good, but Oxbow Critical Care is a lot easier to use for syringe feeding. Carrot and greens are wholly optional, the important thing is fiber and protein like in good quality pellets or a rescue formula like CC. Depending on his weight you need to get quite a lot in him, and feed him every 4 hours or so, except during the night. Hydration is important too, so fluid replacement is also a good thing.

He needs pain meds and he does need dental x-rays. He could have a general teeth problem, or it could be about injury of one or a few teeth.

• Bam

I have sent you a PM.

• Addie105
      Participant

Thanks so much for helping me. To be honest as I was writing my post and looking at my poor wee bunny I just thought this is crazy, you know it’s his teeth, ring the vet and so I am just back from the vet (his 4th visit since summer 2020, 4 different vets have seen him from the same practice). Today I got a lovely vet who has had lots of experience with rabbits (so thankful) she looked at him, looked at his history and had already decided before she seen him that it was his teeth (he had had watery eye issues in the summer and November time and I had him to the vet twice and whilst I thought it was teeth, I was told first conjunctivitis and then I was told blocked tear ducts that it was too late and he was too old to do anything about and was given eye solution to clean them daily) anyway he is on antibiotics and pain meds now and the vet is looking into x-rays and fixing his back teeth in the animal hospital of the same practice in a different location. So thankfully I think he’s on the right track now. So relieved they agree it’s his teeth and that he has pain meds! Thanks everyone! Just shows you should go with your gut, I should have pushed for his teeth to be checked back in the summer. We know our fur babies better than anyone 🙂 x

• Bam

Oh, lovely that you got to see a good vet! Fingers so crossed for his continued treatment!

• Addie105
      Participant

Thank you so very much! I’m so thankful for my vet who loves rabbits as much as I do 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A FOR MEMBER USE: Health Question Template