Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Post for BunnyBabe- “advice/opinions on two of my rabbits”

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • DanaNM
      8935 posts Send Private Message

[created by DanaNM for @BunnyBabe]

“Hey everyone

I am hoping to get some advice/opinions on two of my rabbits.

1. The first rabbit is Peanut. She is a 5-year-old Netherland dwarf. As a lot of you probably know, based on “Netherland dwarf,” she is very moody. Healthwise, she has been great up until recently. I had to take her to the vet because she had scabbing on her mouth. After the vet insisted on several different treatments, I finally convinced him that she needed penicillin because it was syphilis. Since then, she has healed. However, when he cultured the bacteria on her mouth (which was directly after her dental surgery), he said that she had aggressive bacteria and put her on an antibiotic. I took her off the antibiotic after a week because she wasn’t eating, and after missing the first dose, she was back to eating. Now, however, she has a new problem. I got her a new cage, way bigger than the old one, and with it, I got her a cute pink bed. She loved it and was lying in it all the time. However, she is also using it as a litterbox. She still uses the litterbox, too, but mainly she uses the bed. I let her out to play with a new clean bed to see if maybe it was the new cage, and the same thing happened. Her pee looks normal, and she doesn’t seem to be in any pain when she goes. Her diet hasn’t changed any. She eats oxbow essential pellets, plenty of hay, and all of her veggies. Aside from a new cage, though, I recently got another girl rabbit in February. They don’t share a change and seem okay when they sniff each other through the cage. I don’t want to have to take her to the vet again for more tests because she has been through so much recently already.
        2.  The next rabbit is a 3-year-old holland lop. He is probably the sweetest bunny ever born. He loves everyone and all my bunnies (even the one that always growls at him). When he was a baby, he breathed really heavily but eventually, he seemed to grow out of it and was fine up until recently. About a month and a half ago, I relocated his cage onto the floor beside my other two rabbits, and he started snoring. It is a high-pitched whistling sound. I know its snoring because he stops if I say anything and wake him up. I took him to the vet, and the vet said he was fine as far as he could tell. For reasons I won’t get into, I have started to lose trust in this vet, so I am still concerned. So I have kept an eye on his nose to watch for discharge and have noticed it was a little damp. However, he recently started using a water bowl vs. bottle (his choice his cage mate uses one, so he started) and is still figuring it out and getting water everywhere. His front feet have no crusting. The only thing that changed for him when the snoring started was moving his cage.

Anyway, money is really tight right now, so I was hoping to get some help before running to the vet. ”

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

Peeing on soft things is normal, so I wouldn’t be overly alarmed if she is peeing on a plush bed. However, I am concerned about the antibiotics. What were they for? A bacterial infection in her mouth? What was the dental surgery for? Was it an abscess?

As for the boy, a little dampness under the nose is normal. It’s condensation from their breath. You do want to keep an eye out of a discharge though, but that would be thicker than a little bit of condensation.

• BunnyBabe
            Participant
            5 posts Send Private Message

Hi, so I took Peanut to my vet because she had dark yellow and brown scabs all on her mouth. She was eating fine and acting normal. I thought it was sphyilis right off because the scabbing looked identical to pictures online. So when the vet saw her he said that she had a tooth infection somewhere and that she was over salivating causing chapped lips. He wanted to do a week on Bactim (i think that’s the name) to see if it would help with the salivating. He also wanted blood work done before putting her to sleep for dental surgery because of her age. A week later I took her for surgery and the Vet called me after and said there were no problems in her mouth. However, while she was out he swabbed her lips and looked under the microscope and they were covered in bacteria. He thought it should be cultured so I agreed. When it came back he called and said they had found three very aggressive bacteria and he wanted to put her on an antibiotic that started with a C (not sure of the name). I asked again about the possibility of syphilis and he said sure we could do penicillin shots but I would have to give them to her every day for seven days. She cleared up in seven days and is still looking okay so I stopped the antibiotic because she had no interest in food she would take a nibble and just walk away.

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

Ah, I see. Other types of bacteria are sensitive to penicillin, so perhaps the other antibiotic was unnecessary? As long as the infection cleared up as a result, then stopping the other antibiotic may not have been the end of the world.

The only antibiotic I can think of that starts with a “c” would be Ciprofloxacin.

• Rabby_Rabb
              Participant
              9 posts Send Private Message

to reply to the other thread i came here

The answers provided in this forum are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

Maintenance and Housing
                Is your bunny housed indoors or outdoors? Indoor he is like my child i wouldn’t leave my child outside
                Does your bunny live with other bunnies? No
                If you rabbit spends time outside, are wild rabbits around? He does not go outside only in a carrier for vet visit
                How much exercise does your bunny get per day? He hops in our house freely no cage
                How often do you clean the litter box? once a week
                How often do you groom your bunny? everyday, he loves his brush

Spay/Neuter
                Is your bunny spayed/neutered? yes
                If so, for how long? 1 1/2 years (he is 2)
                Are you aware of reproductive cancer risk in females? If not, please read about it here. He is a boy but yes i am

Pooping and Diet – Very Important
                What does your bunny eat normally: Kale pellets hay and 2 treats a day
                How much hay and what type? we give him access to a butload of hay and medow grassHow much pellets and what type?
                How much veggies and what types? Kale, about a cup and a 1/2 a day
                How many treats and what types? 2-3 Tablespoons rabbit safe veggies/fruits and hay treats and sutch from rural king
                Anything else not listed? Nope
                When was the last time your bunny ate?Like an hour ago for kale but like 10 minutes ago for hay
                What was the last thing your bunny ate? Hay
                When was the last time your bunny pooped? when he was eating that hay
                How did your bunny’s most recent poops look (round and firm, misshapen, small and hard, soft/mushy, runny, etc.) ? brown round and firm

Illness & Symptoms
                How long have you had this bunny? almost 2 years
                In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? White line in eye
                How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? a few months ago
                Have you consulted a vet? we will in abt a week
                Have you started any treatment for the symptoms? no
                Was your bunny physically ill or injured when you got them? when i got him he had an ear infection
                How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? white line in eye

• DanaNM
                  8935 posts Send Private Message

Hi Rabby_Rab, I pasted this info into your thread. Going to lock this one to avoid confusion. Will reply to your question in your thread.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 3 reply threads
              • The topic ‘Post for BunnyBabe- “advice/opinions on two of my rabbits”’ is closed to new replies.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Post for BunnyBabe- “advice/opinions on two of my rabbits”