Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit has stuffy nose, should I try to find a quicker appointment?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Calibunny
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Hey yall, my rabbit Gremlin started to show signs of a runny/stuffy nose sometime around Christmas. He was sneezing more frequently and ive seen two instances of that resulting in some mucus coming out as well. Sometimes I can also hear him breathing and it sounds like he’s a little stuffy.  However, he doesn’t seem to have runny eyes and the mucus level seems to be low since his nose area is dry as well. He seems to be just as active as before and he is eating and drinking like normal. I managed to get a vet appointment for this coming Thursday but I suppose I’m just wondering if I should still be looking around for an earlier time? I’m not sure how quickly something like this can go from the level it is at now to something more severe.

And if I cant find anything sooner, do you guys have any tips on how I could potentially help his stuffy nose while we wait for his appointment?

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

Respiratory distress is always “sooner; not later” territory — as obligatory nose breathers (i.e., rabbits cannot breath out of their mouths; only their nose), any sign of nasal/respiratory obstruction needs to be addressed as soon as possible to ensure your rabbit is able to breath. Cautiously, I think the Thursday appointment could be fine considering he is active, eating, and drinking as normal; however, if there are any signs in the coming days where breathing is becoming difficult, go to the vet ASAP.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LBJ10
          16910 posts Send Private Message

This kind of thing is usually a slower onset. But you definitely don’t want to wait for it to get REALLY bad. As Wick said, if you see signs of this progressing then it would be wise to seek vet care sooner. Luckily, Thursday isn’t terribly far away.

You can try steam therapy by taking your bunny into an enclosed bathroom and running the shower on hot for awhile to fill the room with steam.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Rabbit has stuffy nose, should I try to find a quicker appointment?