Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A question about lop bunnies

Viewing 27 reply threads
  • Author
    • bunnytowne
      Participant
      7537 posts Send Private Message

when lops are born are their ears already down? as they start leaving the nest are their ears up and slowly go down or is it the other way around. I always wondered about that.

• JK
        Participant
        2223 posts Send Private Message

Good question! I have never seen a baby lop so I have no clue!

• Beka27
          Participant
          16016 posts Send Private Message

i believe i read that lops are born with their little ears up and they slowly flop over as they mature… maybe within the first couple of months.

• Hannah
            Participant
            274 posts Send Private Message

Beka is correct, lops are born with up ears. They flop between 6 weeks and a couple of months. n___n Sometimes one goes before the other, too.

• osprey
              Participant
              2065 posts Send Private Message

As others have said, they are born with small uppy ears.  As they grow and their ears get bigger, they fall down.  This process can take months, and some will drop only one ear and become “helicopters”.  They become lops because of a genetic defect that makes some muscles either in the head or in the ears themselves weak, so they cannot hold their ears up.  They are really funny looking when their ears are starting to fall, because they get these cute helicopter ears for a while, like they are trying to decide if their ears should go up or down.

• Beka27
                Participant

“genetic defect”. that i did not know. thanks Osprey!

• wendyzski
                  Participant
                  1312 posts Send Private Message

Actually it’s not so much a “weakness” as the fact that they have a wider head.  Lops have a wider space between their ears than uppy-eared buns.

I’ve had my lop for long enough that uppy-eared bunnies look nervous to me now!

• osprey
                    Participant
                    2065 posts Send Private Message

So WendyZ, the ears are farther apart which makes the muscles not able to hold the ears up?  I read somewhere about breeders surgically removing the muscles to force bunnies to be lops *shudder*

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                      Participant
                      971 posts Send Private Message

Here are some pictures of baby lops from my breeder who I bought Smile and Rye from! (Smile and Rye are in all the pics) (They are the orange and white spotty ones, and the one pic is Rye as a baby when his ears were dropping around 3 weeks old!) By the time they were 6 weeks they had dropped completely!

Pic dates are:

Sept 16 2007 (they were born the 12th)

Sept 23 2007

September 27 2007

and October 21 2007

I picked them up around October 28

142549207371.jpg
                        1425492038654.jpg
                        1425492044858.jpg
                        1425492051129.jpg

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                        Participant
                        12067 posts Send Private Message

*SQWEEEEEEE* That’s soooo cute!!!!

• Beka27
                          Participant

i love that baby pic of Rye! the straight across ears are so cute. what kind of lops are they? i can never get my different lop breeds correct.

• melissact
                            Participant
                            27 posts Send Private Message

Our holland lop, Ernie, is currently in the helicopter stage. My understanding is that as the crown develops, the ears become further apart, which causes the lopping.  Buns with small or undeveloped crowns will sometimes fail to lop.

• kimberleyanddarren
                              Participant
                              2520 posts Send Private Message

omg his ears are sticking right out OMG HOW CUTE! i want one! lol *nudges bofriend* lol

• MimzMum
                                Participant
                                8029 posts Send Private Message

AAAAHHHHH!!!! *a’splodes from cuteness* OMG, Loppy, what adorable little babies! ^_^ What breed did you say they were again?
                                  I love the ‘helicopter’ piccy. That’s like this one: (credits to cheezburger.com)

1425391167471.jpg

• Hannah
                                  Participant
                                  274 posts Send Private Message

It might have something to do with the width of the head– I had always thought it was a genetic thing, but now that I think about it, Monty has a teeny weeny head and his ears and VERY sticky-uppy, but Humphrey has a bigger head and if you push down his ears they stay that way. n__n

• Bunstheboss
                                    Participant
                                    161 posts Send Private Message

Their ears are down when they are born and slowly go down with time. When I got my Baileys at 6 weeks he had one ear up and one down. He was beyond cute!!!!!!

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                                      Participant

My 2 are Registered Holland Lops

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                                        Participant

My 2 are Registered Holland Lops

• CookieLopBaby
                                          Participant
                                          29 posts Send Private Message

Awww how cute! I love the pics that Lion Lop posted! These baby buns look like my Cookie’s long lost twins! Cute!

• Deleted User
                                            Participant
                                            22064 posts Send Private Message

So I am guessing that lop bunny ears are generally longer than the buns with sticky up ears.

I sometimes gently push up Luey’s ears to see what he would look like with the sticky up ones.  Cute both ways.

• Lion_Lop_Lover
                                              Participant

RondaGene – I do think our buns are long lost twins lol…I love broken oranges They are so beautiful…
                                                DAWN – Hahahah, I do that with Smile and Rye a lot; and I push down my sticky-uppers to see if they would look cute as lops … long story short, they SO would. LOL.

• 2buns2luv
                                                Participant
                                                66 posts Send Private Message

Awwww tooo cute. I’m a sucker for the floppy ears. Luna’s did the aeroplane look also but now they’re fully flopped.
                                                  Awesome pictures!!!

• BinkyBunny
                                                  8776 posts Send Private Message

Bailey was a lop, but she could actually control her ears and put them upright when she was really mad or felt alerted to something –

FLOP                                     or                                       NOT 

(just chillin)                       (this is the “I’ll kick your butt missy, dont’ think I can’t!” look)

• Deleted User
                                                    Participant
                                                    22064 posts Send Private Message

Luey has been putting his ears right back … what you call that … a back ear drop.

• Beka27
                                                      Participant

lol… i wouldn’t have wanted to cross paths with Bailey lookin’ like that. she certainly looks like she could hold her own.

• bunnytowne
                                                        Participant
                                                        7537 posts Send Private Message

that pic she reminds me of the flying nun bailey the flying nun hehee she’s so cute her.I luv her face

• BinkyBunny
                                                          8776 posts Send Private Message

bunnytowne- that’s funny…flying nun bailey. That actually fits her a bit.

Beka – I know, the funny thing is she was soo loving and could sit for hours being petted and snuggled. She loved getting attention, and giving attention, but you mess with her stuff, and she’ll give you the old “ear bird” LOL!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                                            Participant
                                                            12067 posts Send Private Message

^^ “ear bird” LOL!!

Viewing 27 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A question about lop bunnies