Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! New to the bunny world

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • Cookies&Glitter
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

So how to go about this…..I have had guinea pigs for 5 years. They are my children. Last month I had a 5 yr old pig have what I can only describe as a stroke (human nurse here) and she passed. Then her cage mate went for a spray surgery as she had ovarian cysts and a uterine tumor. She died in post op. I still have 2 guinea pigs but had a big cage and hole in my heart. So I got a mini lop last week. I felt like they were similar but they are also so different. I had so much hay, as 4 guinea pigs led me to buy 50lb in bulk so a bunny was the next logical choice to not simply “replace” my piggies. A bunny has been on my xmas list for 20 yrs but this is my first time owning one and I’m so overwhelmed and nervous and excited.
        So I got a gorgeous brownish lop, she is 5 months and came from a bunny lover but she also breeds and shows (no judgement). So I have a 6’x2’ c&c cage and am using fleece bedding. Have a kitchen end with hay in a litter box and paper bedding there. Using oxbow pellets but still unsure how much she should have as a “show” bunny apparently mostly eats pellets and I free feed my hay. This rabbit is new to free fed hay but liking it. She tolerates some petting but hasn’t came out of her cage yet in 5 days, but she’s happy in it and does lots of flopping and lounging. She came from a much smaller wire bottom cage so I hope she feet are happy too. She wasn’t fed lettuce and won’t eat it yet ?. I will keep trying as my pigs get all sorts of fresh produce daily. She eats dried papaya bits and oxbow cookies right now.
        Looking to meet ppl and get advice on bonding/litter training. (How long can I expect it to take roughly?) need tips and tricks, going to be reading the posts in my spare time.
        How much floor time is good? Is my cage adequate? Do ppl use fleece bedding/c&c cages with bunnies? So many questions and so much excitement. ?
        Also wondering how many ppl spay their does; as with guinea pigs it’s risky and a no-no unless medically necessary(as with my piggy who passed last month). This is touchy for me as I feel awful about it but she was having symptoms like bleeding and pain from her reproductive tract so I feel like it was a lose-lose. Any experience with bunnies?
        I hope to have a happy healthy pet for many years, I have a cat as well. So far she has only shown mild curiosity towards the bunny as she has been with my guinea pigs since getting her and there has never been an incident
        In summary I love animals and have a fish tank, 2 guinea pigs, a cat and now a bunny! I work night shift so keep an odd schedule with my pets but have made it work this far. Can post pics on request.

Can’t wait to hear from everyone!!!

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

Welcome!

I love piggies too! I had them growing up, but currently only have buns.

Your cage sounds great, I have a CC condo for my buns.

I tend to let my buns have free roam whenever I’m home and awake, which during the week is usually 4-6 hours per day, longer on the weekends.

Regarding spaying, female rabbits have high rates of reproductive cancers (estimates range from 50-75% depending on the age of the rabbit), and litter training can be hard without spaying, so it’s recommended. There is always a risk, as you know, but the surgery has gotten a lot safer as rabbit veterinary medicine has improved. The key is to find a good rabbit vet and make sure they do a lot of spays. You might reach out to local rescues and see what vets they recommend.

In terms of pellets, you can start scaling back. How much does she weigh? I give mine about 1/4 cup per day, split into two meals. Some people give even less than that if they have a dwarf breed.

For veggies, introduce slowly, 1 at a time per week to allow their system to adjust, especially if they’ve never had fresh foods. Cilantro is a good one to get them to try veggies since it smells so fragrant. In general bunnies need more leafy greens than piggies. Things like carrot and bell pepper are more of a treat for bunnies.

The best way to help your bun bond with you is to play “hard to get”. Lay on the floor in their area, but ignore them. Read a book, watch tv, etc. But allow her to explore at her own pace and come to you. Hand feeding is also good (so you can hand feed pellets and treats). Don’t try to pet her or pick her up just yet. Once she starts exploring and will relax near you, then you can “ask” to pet her by placing your hand in front of her face on the ground. If she puts her head down, she wants you to pet her on the head.

What’s her name? Of course we all want pictures, of her and the piggies too!

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 1 reply thread
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! New to the bunny world