Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Litter and Poop

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Hannah Ramos
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Hi Guys!

So I wanted to know if anyone had suggestions about any rabbit litter that helps with pee smell? Currently I have my bunnies using a litter box with just a puppy pad in the bottom to soak up the urine. My family always complains how bad their pee smells when I travel home and I need a product that could possibly help with that. Also, I have 3 bunnies and all were potty trained when I rescued them. Now they poop all over my apartment and its driving me crazy! I understand a stray poop here and there from when they are running around and playing but its constant, I am vacuuming like 3 times a day. Any suggestions to help that as well would be greatly appreciated!

• Louiethebunny
        Participant
        603 posts Send Private Message

I use a large cat litter box that had a top but remove the door, and that keeps the smell inside very well. By the time it’s time to change the litter box, it barely smells, but Louie won’t use a soiled litter box so I change it. I use CareFresh and hay in my litter box and put a paper bag as a liner. Puppy pee pads don’t absorb a great bunch, especially if three bunnies share one litter box. If you like the puppy pads or have a lot extra, I would use it as a liner to absorb extra pee at the bottom. People also like to use pine pellets, aspen shavings, and shredded paper as bedding as well, but I like CareFresh (without baking soda) because it is soft on Louie’s feet. I would also put hay in the litter box, it encourages good habits and bunnies like to eat when the “go”. As for the change in litter habits, this occurs in unspayed and neutered rabbits and happens when rabbits hit puberty and have extra hormones. If the rabbits aren’t fixed, I would recommend getting them fixed because you have several bunnies. For now, the best you can do is pick up the loose poops and place them back in the box and pick up your rabbit when you see they’re about to go.

• DanaNM
          8930 posts Send Private Message

I use a thin layer of pine pellets with a fluffy hay layer on top. I dump the whole box every other day. No odor that I can detect.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• jerseygirl
            22342 posts Send Private Message

Yes, a better litter will definitely help with odor control. Paper based litters are easy to find. Like Yesterdays news, Carefresh. You can buy the cat one. Wood pellet litters are great and very economical. Lots of people buy the big bags of horse stall bedding (pellets pine) or wood stove pellets that dont have any accelerant added to it. Shavings are also good for odor but only some types are suitable for rabbits. ie. like Aspen. All these are compostable also.

I saw you have a thread in the Bonding section. The poop marking is likely to do with bonding. It’s just part of the process unfortunately. Once they are able to be housed together 24/7, you can try re-establish litter habits, keeping their space restricted improve.

• prince dorian the bun
              Participant
              743 posts Send Private Message

I use yesterdays news, no urine smell… I do get the fresh poo smell, if it’s bugging me I just scoop them out. That said his urine doesn’t seem to have a strong smell at all.

• Beau Bunny
                Participant
                66 posts Send Private Message

Sorry I’m late responding here but I found carefresh to be the most effective w/ odor, followed by yesterdays news. I would put that on top of the pee pad and make sure you change it every other day..you can also try adding a litter box or two, they sell small bunny sized ones on amazon for like 3 bucks. I have a litter box in each room my one bunny goes in and no accidents. Not even poops.

• poopscoop12
                  Participant
                  34 posts Send Private Message

Hi, I use pine pellets and hay. If I ever walk by the litter tray, I’ll use the uneaten hay to cover up the days poop/pee. You really can tell how much smell the pine pellets cover when you change the litter tray. I gag lol..
                    I could get away with cleaning the litterbox once a week when I had 1 bun (prob better to do it 5 days haha).

Also: Pour baking soda into a bowl and leave it in the room to absorb the smell in the room and open the windows if you can. I found that helped getting rid of the stench (mine was mainly getting rid of vinegar smell). I use a pack every 2 months. ($1 winning)

Pine pellets I buy a 15kg (33lbs) bag and lasts me 5 months and was $14AUD ($9USD)

Can’t help with the poop. My girl poops everywhere in her room and pees randomly 1-2 times a week (hence the vinegar smell)… I’ve just accepted it, let her live her best life even though its frustrating as hell, but I adopted her when she was 3 years old so I think this is ingrained in her, also give her a free-pass coz she has weak legs and I always hear her knocking her feet into her tray which sounds painful, I’ve cut down and entrance for her and made a little step for the other side, but sometimes when I have friends over, she starts jumping in her tray different entry points and wacks her feet again ._.
                    Fortunately the common areas only gets occasional poop here and there.

My new boy is also just pooping everywhere in his room lol. I pray its just territorial and that he won’t pick up the girls bad habit 🙁

Let me know how you go and what you end up using that works 🙂

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Litter and Poop