Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Laying in litter box

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lisa_43
      Participant
      1499 posts Send Private Message

Do most rabbits lay in their litter boxes?

If so is there a reason they do this?

• Deleted User
        Participant
        22064 posts Send Private Message

Hey Lisa

Oh yeah they like laying and hanging out in their littertrays …. however, my Luey is not a fan of lying in his.

Its their own little safe box …. like us humans we like our own favourite lounge chair or our own bed LOL.

Dawn xx

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Maybe it’s the most comfortable place for her. Depending on her set-up you might be able to somehow offer her a comfy alternative to the litter box like a hidey hole or something.

None of my rabbits right now lounge in their litter boxes.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

I think a lot of it has to do with where they feel the safest, and for most buns it is in the litterbox.  They have 4 sides that come up around them and sort of protect them almost like a "den" in domestic rabbit terms.

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

Hareiette used to lay in her litterbox all the time – one was her potty and the second was her princess lounging box. She never went potty in the lounging box – but decided it served better as a toy chest then a bunny bed, so now her toys reside there.

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

Leo does this occassionally, which really annoys Jessica.  She prefers to potty and nosh when she’s in the litterbox.  Sometimes he just goes down there and lays down…which is funny b/c he has a bed that he uses all the time, so I don’t quite get this.  I did add an additional "play box" for him.  Its a cardboard tray w/ shredded newspaper.  Originally I put the sheds in their igloo, but he pulled it all out.  Its kinda of gross b/c he pottys in his play box and plays in it all!

• dmh426
                  Participant
                  433 posts Send Private Message

Sophie is always laying in her litterbox. i think of it as her bed/bathroom…kinda like a small studio apartment! hahaaha hay in one corner, bathroom in the other.

• MooBunnay
                    Participant
                    3087 posts Send Private Message

Hahaha, her studio litterbox My buns like their litterboxes as well, though, now that I have gotten them those cat litterboxes with the tops on them, they seem to prefer to come outside of the litterbox to sleep. I think its pretty normal, it probably feels a bit like their “nest”, and it is covered in their own scent, so they probably feel very safe in their as other people have mentioned.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Laying in litter box