Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Humping, freezing and falling off!!! Helpppp

• This topic has 4sd replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by LBJ10.
Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Gingerxmistyxo
      Participant
      29 posts Send Private Message

Hi guys,

could anyone please give me an idea of what’s going on? I have a spayed doe and a neutered buck and they’ve been bonded for nearly 2 years. They often go through periods even now of humping. It’s just part of their relationships hahah. My question is i have noticed that sometimes ginger (male) will freeze and fall off, similar to how a male would when mating when not neutered. Is this normal?? He’s been neutered for over 2 years now. Any information would be great! TIA x

• LBJ10
        16899 posts Send Private Message

It happens. I wouldn’t be worried unless the humping is causing distress.

• Gingerxmistyxo
            Participant
            29 posts Send Private Message

Hi thanks for responding. I knew that the humping was normal, but didn’t realise that they froze and fell off like they did when mating if they had been neutered. Thanks for letting me know x

• Ellie from The Netherlands
            Participant
            2512 posts Send Private Message

It can be a dominance thing, but I wonder about the rest of their behaviour. Does the male rabbit still spray and mark as well?

I read an article yesterday about rabbit puberty and read about a rabbit who had a third testicle which hadn’t dropped. It was found inside his body, and still produced hormones:

https://rabbit.org/journal/4-10/sexybunnies.html

Rabbits are a weird bunch in the downstairs department: it’s not uncommon for them to have a different anatomy. Intersex rabbits exist as well, and they’re not uncommon (about 1 in 50, in several gradations).

If the male still displays typical hormonal behaviour, a blood test may shed some light on the situation.

• LBJ10
              16899 posts Send Private Message

That’s a good point Elle. It wouldn’t hurt to check just to make sure. Although it isn’t unheard of for a neutered bunny to display the behavior the OP described, it isn’t a bad idea to rule out other possibilities. It may also be important to note that the adrenal glands can produce some testosterone as well… which could indicate an issue there.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Humping, freezing and falling off!!! Helpppp