Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Hugo

Viewing 18 reply threads
  • Author
    • AbbyGirl
      Participant
      921 posts Send Private Message

As most of you know Hugo passed away in my arms on Monday night.  It was a horrible experience.  The last time I lost a rabbit he was 8 years old and I was 8 months pergnant and we replaced him within a week with a new rabbit.  That was a bad idea.  I still miss Hugo very much and expect him to come running in and demand attention.  I know he will never be replaced and I never want to do that again.

Now when I got Hugo it was because we were getting a new house and I was finally able to have a pet again and my husband is gone so much I needed another companion.  I fell in love with Hugo instantly.  I have been looking at new rabbits already.  Like I said, not to replace him though.  I will always love and miss him.  I’m an animal lover and much happier with a pet in my life. 

Do you think it is too soon for me to be concidering this?  I think I’m doing it for the right reasons……

• FluffyBunny
        Participant
        1263 posts Send Private Message

As long as you feel that you’re emotionally stable enough to care for another bunny (who might behave very much like Hugo), and you’re not just getting a new bunny as a way of “replacing” Hugo, I’d say go for it.

You might want to visit a shelter/breeder/friend with rabbits before getting a new rabbit. That way, you can make sure that you really are ready to be around bunnies again.

*hugs*

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

No, it’s not too soon. We know you aren’t replacing Hugo.

I hope that you get another rabbit because you took such good care of Hugo and loved him so much that another rabbit deserves the same thing.

Keep us updated on your search for your new family member.

• AbbyGirl
            Participant

Thank you for the reassurance. Monday night they told me if I ever wanted to adopt again it would be no charge for me! LOL I told her I didn’t think I could adopt again. At that point I felt like I would be disappointed by a rabbit that wasn’t him. The other night when things settled with our move I was able to really grieve over Hugo. He could never be replaced. I don’t think there could be another guy like him. He was like 5 buns bottled up into one huge one.
              I had thought about fostering for the shelter I got Hugo from, but I thought that might be hard on me and the girls. You never know if you’re going to get attached and then not have them any more. I think they are just too young for me to do that to them.
              Thank you again. There is a really neat Rhinelander that has been there too long. I think I’d like to at least meet him.

• Elrohwen
              Participant
              7318 posts Send Private Message

I am so so sorry to hear about the loss of Hugo!

And no, I don’t think it’s too early to consider getting a new bunny. I have always found that having a new pet (or at least another pet in the home) to give my love and attention to has helped the grieving process so much more than just sitting around thinking about what I have lost. It’s certainly not replacing a pet you loved – it’s giving your love to a new animal who will return it and help you heal.

Binky free, Hugo!

• AbbyGirl
                Participant

Thank you. I just posted in the lounge about meeting some new buns in the next few days!

• lashkay
                  Participant
                  1548 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry for your loss of your beloved Hugo. Healing vibes to you and best wishes with a new bunny when you’ve decided on one.

• jerseygirl
                    22342 posts Send Private Message

Personally I think adopting another rabbit that needs a home honours the ones we have lost.
                      When you meet these new rabbit you’ll know if the timing is right.
                      Either way, if you bring a new one home or not, I hope you’ll stick around the forums.

• Lintini
                      Participant
                      3329 posts Send Private Message

Oh wow Amy I am so so sorry I missed all of your posts, you have to forgive me it’s been a super busy week. It brought me to tears! Hugo is such a special bunny, I am so sorry for your loss. But I am also so glad he was able to have you in his life, even if it was only 6 weeks. It is never too soon to search for a bunny in need, it is never a replacement! I believe too that it is in your past buns honor to adopt another, never ever a replacement. You should go and meet the Rhinelander, in Hugo’s honor. {{{Binky Free Hugo}}} We will all miss you so much.

**much love and hugs from me and my bunch***

• bunnymum16
                        Participant
                        429 posts Send Private Message

im so sorry for your loss.there’s no way that any bunny will replace Hugo in your heart.if you think youre ready,go ahead. hugs to you.

• AbbyGirl
                          Participant

Thanks for the support everyone. I will keep you all posted.

• allegrabunny
                            Participant
                            116 posts Send Private Message

Amy,

honestly if you want a rabbit in your life, it is perfectly fine to get another one. Griefing is very personal and varies with each person. I found comfort in adding to my pack (dogs) after my best friend in the whole world died. There is some saying that the first ones to greet you in heaven are the animals you have encountered and they decide if you go up or down. I think Hugo would be honored to have some buddies up there with him. Take your love of Hugo and share it with others. Sometimes the heart has to break to let the love out.

my buns and I are thinking about you.

• LittlePuffyTail
                              18092 posts Send Private Message

I’m so sad to hear that Hugo has passed. My condolences on the loss of your special guy.

• AbbyGirl
                                Participant

Thank you. I have had many hardships with animals now. My first horse was put down only 1 year after getting him when I was 16 and then Hugo. This is the first time I’ve been ready this soon. Hugo was very special and I miss him so much. I miss the companionship right now.
                                  So I am meeting a pair of bonded Harlequins today. They are beautiful and special boys. Here a link for them.
                                  http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/15132696

• LoveChaCha
                                  Participant
                                  6634 posts Send Private Message

I am very sorry to hear of your loss of Hugo

• AbbyGirl
                                    Participant

Thank you Brittany.

• nugget
                                      Participant
                                      161 posts Send Private Message

I checked out the link you posted for the Harlequins…they are adorable! Such beautiful coloring! It says they were adopted….this must mean a congrats is due? New pets never replace the old…..we have learned this as well. Best of luck to you and your family!

• AbbyGirl
                                        Participant

We did bring them home yesterday late afternoon. I found out this afternoon that I am not emotionally strong enough to have a new rabbit in the house yet.

• Isabelle
                                          Participant
                                          468 posts Send Private Message

I’m sorry for your loss. Perhaps if you gave yourself a bit more time, it would help you grieve and begin recovering. There will always be rabbits needing good homes in the world, you should make sure you are ready. I personally think it’s very hard to get a new pet right away after the last one has passed, for me I would need to get the pet before the other had passed or give myself weeks to months to recover. Please don’t rush yourself, everyone needs their own amount of time to recover.

Viewing 18 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum RAINBOW BRIDGE Hugo