Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A how do I train my rabbit to be able fo be free but good?

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • Pancake
      Participant
      90 posts Send Private Message

I want to teach pancake how to be good when he is out running free in our basement,  I want to let him but he gets into so much trouble when he’s out by himself.  We have a finished basement but it’s like 80’s style, were going to fix it up though.  But that’s were he lives right now and I want him to run free he just gets into trouble.  What should I do?

• Scarlet_Rose
        Participant
        4293 posts Send Private Message

What kind of trouble does he get into?  Is it behavioral, chewing, marking or…? Most of it might simply be Bunny Proofing the area or setting up a large x-pen and granting larger space to run little by little. If you can make him a dedicated run down there, all the better especially for cleaning.  Depending of course on your plans for re-doing the basement. Anyway, those are just some ideas.

• LittlePuffyTail
          18092 posts Send Private Message

I always supervise my buns when they are out cuz no matter how much I bunnyproof they find things to chew!

• Lisa_43
            Participant
            1499 posts Send Private Message
              I let Ebony out this morning (supervised) but it’s a pain to get her back in her enclosure.

I can understand why they don’t want to come back, because they feel so free.

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

I personally only let my bunnies out when I’m there to supervise since they live in our living room. But, I’d second ScarletRose’s advice to spend some time figuring out how to bunnyproof the area.

• Toki+Pumpkin+Elmo
                Participant
                319 posts Send Private Message

I let my buns play in my living room. When it’s time to go back inside the cage, I start enclosing the space so that there’s less room to work with. I just put doggie fence and chairs here and there. Then, I “herd” them back into the cage. They try to run away but once they see that the only way is to go back into the cage they just hop right in. Hope this helps for you.

• Pancake
                  Participant
                  90 posts Send Private Message

well it’s doing a lot better than I expected. All he really does is sleep or dig in his litter box. I’ll just see how it goes for now.

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Something to keep in mind is to give him plenty of "safe chews" and toys as nothing is more tempting than a juicy fat electrical cord, or irresistable baseboard or furniture legs.

• Deleted User
                      Participant
                      22064 posts Send Private Message

Posted By LittlePuffyTail on 12/02/2007 4:44 PM
                        I always supervise my buns when they are out cuz no matter how much I bunnyproof they find things to chew!

Ain’t that the truth!  That bun has more toys and amusements than anyone else in my house. I use a baby gate and one small room in the morning, but the beast has now demonstrated that the first time he made it over was not a fluke.  Friday I was late for work cause I heard a plop and when I got there I could not find him. Over a half hour crawling on my hands and knees under beds, behind storage boxes, in tight spaces he could get through and me having to go round or over.

I could not leave until I knew he was out of potential harm.  Now the room has 2 baby gates stack on top of each other, but I worry he will snag himself.  I am not sure if he jumps it or climbs, since I am never around when he makes a break for it.

• babybunsmum
                        Participant
                        3896 posts Send Private Message
                          Posted By Bunzai on 12/03/2007 3:43 AM

I am not sure if he jumps it or climbs, since I am never around when he makes a break for it.

lol!  i’m never around for the mischief either… i’ll show up from another room with both the dog & rabbit sitting amidst ripped toilet paper each trying to look more innocent than the other

• BinkyBunny
                          8776 posts Send Private Message

My rabbits have mellowed with age. Now that they are all over three years old, have plenty of chew distractions and the house is completely bunny proofed, they do very well when they are out. But I also must say, they love their bunny pens and bunny room and spend most of their time in there. They come out to play and spend time with us, but when they are done, they head back and hang out in their own space.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A how do I train my rabbit to be able fo be free but good?