Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Hello everyone! First time bunny owner.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
    • Oreo’s Mom
      Participant
      9 posts Send Private Message

Hello! I am a first time bunny owner and am learning as much as I can. We got our bunny 4 months ago and was told it was a male. Surprise on our first vet visit changed a he to a she. It’s a good thing we named her Oreo. I am unsure of her breed. When we first go her we were told she was a Holland lop. But her ears don’t lop, they stay in helicopter mode, and the vet said she wasn’t a Holland lop but a mix. So now we have a she that isn’t a Holland lop. I was just wanting to know so we would know about how big she is going to get. She is currently 7 months old and weighs 4 pounds

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! She’s very cute! Mis-sexing of baby rabbits is really common, often the other way around too!

I love helicopter lops, they seem to be very expressive with their ears! I’m not as great with the breed guessing, but a lop mix is a good guess. 🙂 At 7 months she prob won’t get too much bigger, but may start to fill out a little.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Oreo’s Mom
          Participant

The second picture is the one that is the most recent. We just had her spayed so she is confined to a smaller x pen for now. She isn’t happy about it and I am having to remind myself that it’s important for her to remain in there for the recommended days. It’s hard to do when she looks at me with those big eyes.

• DanaNM

I agree it is SO hard to confine them, but it’s important and remember it’s only temporary! It usually just makes me feel awful for those bunnies that spend their whole lives in cages. 🙁

Giving her some extra boredom buster toys during the healing time can help a lot with frustration.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Bam
              16872 posts Send Private Message

She really is so cute!

I agree with Dana, I dont think she’ll get much bigger. She’ll fill out some, but her ears looks proportional to the rest of her. Large breed buns tend to have huuuge ears until they “grow into” them.

It is hard to have to restrain a bun, but a girl’s internal spay incisions need two weeks to heal, and before that time they mustn’t jump or do binkies etc.  Boredom busters like willow gnaw toys or, if you have access, fresh twigs from pesticide-free trees (apple, pear, willow, hazel, ash, linden, maple, rowan, hawthorns and several more) can be a good diversion. Also try to spend time in the same room as she is in. You don’t have to interact directly all the time, just be there so she feels included in the family. Rabbits don’t like being alone very much.

• Oreo’s Mom
                Participant

Her pen is set up in our main living area. And someone is always talking to her or interacting with her. She has her paper towel rolls in there along with some toilet paper rolls I filled with hay and folded the ends closed. I also have willow sticks, a sea grass ball and some willow balls in there. I didn’t put her tunnel in there because she gets excited and jumps over it normally. She also has the pillow from her pet bed in there that she likes to burrow under. She also spends time rearranging her pen by moving her litter box and blankets around. I’m just glad to know I’m not the only one who feels bad about keeping our bunnies confined during this time. I’ve heard too many horror stories of owners letting their buns run before they should and what happens when you do.

• Bam
                  16872 posts Send Private Message

Sounds perfect! 😊

My own girl bun is getting spayed in a few weeks, and I must admit I’m not looking forward to trying to keep her entertained in a small-ish pen. It’s the downside of being a pet “parent” – we have to be baddies at times, and there’s never any way to explain to the pet why we do what we do.

I wish your girl a swift recovery!

• Oreo’s Mom
                    Participant

She is doing good. I had to call the vet to update them on her progress and they told me I could start letting her out for an hour a day starting on Monday and then by the next Monday I can let her roam as usual. She is currently staring me down because she knows it is getting close to time for her evening salad.

• DanaNM

LOL! Glad she’s doing well!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! Hello everyone! First time bunny owner.