Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Grooming Angora Lops

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • Bunnies4ever
      Participant
      368 posts Send Private Message

I just rescued from the shelter two very bonded, 1 year old female angora lops.  They were owner surrendered and look like they’ve been through a lot, but otherwise are in good health and they are spayed.  They settled in pretty quickly in my household.  I’m keeping them separate from my two other rabbits for a while before I introduce them to one another.  Anyway, they need grooming desperately!  I can tell that they haven’t been groomed in a long time.  I’m trying my best to let them settle down a bit before I start the grooming process, but I’m anxious to get started!

If any one out there can provide additional information on grooming them, please let me know. I groom my lionhead rabbits, but these angoras have lots more hair!  One female is so roley-poley, I can’t tell where the hair ends and she begins! Or, do you think I should take them to a professional groomer?  There is a local HRS in my area that does grooming. 

Thanks!

• alexa h
        Participant
        23 posts Send Private Message

Hi! I know what kind of position you are in. I have an English Angora, which is just a giant fuzzball. I have only had her for a few weeks, and I am working on her grooming. I try to cut her hair, to keep her as cool as possible, and I give her a good combing every other day at least. However, my Angora does not like to have any of her paws brushed, and its very hard to brush her belly as well, since she starts to go wild. I was also wondering the same question kind of, do groomers groom bunies, and is it a good idea? And is ther any way to calm down a bunny while grooming her?

• Bunnies4ever
          Participant

Thanks for your response. The House Rabbit Society in my area advertises that they have trained staff who will groom and trim nails (I’m a real sissy when it comes to trimming nails) for a small fee. Grooming is a great way to bond with your rabbtis, so I think I’ll see if they will let me at least brush them first. The shelter said they like to be petted but not picked up. They were okay when I picked them up yesterday to put them in their cage and they seem really mellow. I’ll keep you posted on my progress.

• Gravehearted
            Participant
            2428 posts Send Private Message

I don’t have an angora – but sometimes they come into our rescue with their fur all matted 🙁

We have a few volunteers who are really the experts. Watching them – they tend to use one of the square headed brushes with small skinny metal bristles. The important thing is to really get down deep and not only brush on the surface or all the underhair will get matted. It likely will mean you’ll need to brush your bunny every few days, as it will really cut back on the mats.

this article might be helpful for you from Zooh Corner:
              http://www.mybunny.org/info/groom_long_haired.htm

• Bunnies4ever
              Participant

Thanks for your help.  I’ll check out the link!

• BinkyBunny
                8776 posts Send Private Message

You’ve gotten some good advice, and though normally I wouldn’t advise a rabbit to go to a a regular groomers,a rabbit savvy groomer, like someone from the House Rabbit Society, is an exception.  They would  most likely be able to at least get you started and give you some hands on tips.

Great step by step tips from the House Rabbit Network: http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/angora.shtml

I also got this from the Ontario Rabbit Education Website:  http://www.ontariorabbits.org/diet/careinfo7.html

If you scroll down to “Keeping Your Long-haired Beauty Looking Its Best” it discusses long-haired bunnies that are matted in the 2nd paragraph.

Here’s another link for general care of angora fur from the House Rabbit Society: http://www.rabbit.org/care/angora.html

Let us know how it goes! And maybe you can take some before and after pictures and share them with us.  

• Bunnies4ever
                  Participant

Thanks so much for the links and information!  They seem to be very friendly rabbits.  Noise doesn’t seem to bother them; I guess from being in the loud shelter environment.  Their previous owners seemed to take good care of them; they come right to me when they see me and don’t seem afraid.

Tonight, I will try to take some “before grooming” pics.  I petted and felt around the most roley-poley bunny and it looks like it’s all fur and not her shape!  I can’t believe there is actually a bunny in all of that! 

Wish me luck!

• lilmizzsnickerz
                    Participant
                    318 posts Send Private Message

when are the pics coming =(

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Grooming Angora Lops