Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! first timer

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • taz
      Participant
      5 posts Send Private Message

Hey everyone!
        I am a first time bunny owner.. utterly infatuated with the little guy. He’s 8 weeks old and his name is Taz because, well, my sister and I are scratched to pieces from his razor baby nails. I’ve done so much research on care for him and have found many conflicting ideas so hopefully I will figure out all that’s best for him. I know all bunnies are different.
        Funny memory for the books already. My dog likes to stare at him in his cage, she’s real jealous of him. One evening she was laying on the bed and I let him walk around on it, trying to get them acquainted. He walks over and puts his butt against her and pees 

Ultimately, I do have so many questions. I’ve read many times that young rabbits need unlimited supply of pellets? He gets VERY angry throughout the night if he doesn’t have any. He doesn’t use his hay dispenser, I have to throw hay on the bottom of his cage for him to eat it (which I don’t mind) but I know this isn’t assisting with his litterbox training one bit! Which brings me to my next problem – he poops EVERYWHERE, and actually sleeps in his litterbox. There or his plastic shelf in his cage are his favorite nap places. He has a wooden hut but won’t go inside it, it’s become a giant chew toy to him. I replace his cage bedding once a week, sometimes more (I’ve got to where I’ll removed the soiled bits to cut down on replacing ALL of it so frequently) and he loves it – goes wild in his cage. For now, he has a typical rabbit starter cage.. I would like to get him a play pen. He spends majority of his time in the cage, whenever I get him out he doesn’t like to explore and comes right back to me. When I am holding him, within 20 or so minutes he will begin digging. He has urinated and pooped on me as well. How can I get him to use his litterbox properly?
        Sorry for the long post but I have so many questions 

• Royal
        Participant
        57 posts Send Private Message

Welcome! I’m new here too, not a bunny owner yet, but I may be able to answer some questions from the research I’ve made!

It is recommened to give unlimited alfalfa pellets to a young rabbit. Once they start reaching 4-5 months of age it is also recommened to start slowing down and decreasing the amount of alfalfa pellets and slowely introduce adult rabbit pellets. Do not make sudden changes when it comes to your bunnies diet as it can affect their digestive system a lot.

Some people put hay inside of the litter box in the very front. This may create more waste hay but it would definetly help with litter training!

Do keep in mind that you shouldnt hold a bunny for your pleasure, they hate being picked up. Only hold your rabbit if you aren’t acctually picking them up and if you aren’t forcing him to stay by you. This may be the reason he is peeing and pooping on you, if he can’t get to his litter box then he has to go right there!

Also to help you with litter training, make sure you are picking up his poops, and put them in the litter box. Also wipe up his pee with a paper towel and put the paper towel in the litter box. Also make sure the litter box is in a corner as bunnies like to do their business and eat in corners.

Hope I helped and I wish you good luck with your new bunny!

• Vienna Blue in France
          Participant
          5317 posts Send Private Message

Hi and welcome.
            My bunnies get angry in the night if they are hungry so yes leave lots of hay or fresh grass if you can.
            Little box training will never happen if you have hay in the cage even if you don’t mind cleaning it out it should be hay free.
            You can always put hay actually in the litter box or maybe some in a seperate box in the litter box. Or use a seperator.
            Although its prob fun to look at, you shouldn’t really let your dog stare at the buns. She will become obsessed with him and thats never a good thing.
            He will start to explore as he gets older, eight weeks is really still very young. He sounds lovely can you post some photos ?
            Keep in touch

• taz
            Participant
            5 posts Send Private Message

I do, honestly have hay tossed all over his entire cage. He poops on his shelf also where his pellets are.. but as far as separating his hay, he doesn’t eat it from the rack, which is why I started tossing it into the floor of his cage?
              When I catch my dog staring at him, I do tell her to stop. When I have him out I will let her sniff him and tell her to be nice, etc.
              I do have problems with holding him but it is to let him get acquainted with me and to “bond” – I’ve recently started letting him on the floor and I will sit with him, but he jumps back into my lap and lays down. I will totally post more pictures soon, I surprisingly don’t have too many

• Vienna Blue in France
              Participant
              5317 posts Send Private Message

Jumping back into your lap and laying down is great !!! Don’t push the picking up part, or you may lose his confidence. Just let him lay and give him long soothing strokes….. put your hands under his belly if you want but don’t pick up. Then later, when your hands are under him, take his weight in them without picking him up, then pick him up about 1 inch before putting him down immediately…. and so on…. slowly slowly.
                You’ll get there…. ALWAYS put a hand under his bottom. Buns have VERY weak spines but VERY powerful kicks so be aware. We’ve all been there, having to catch a bunny in midlflight, but its very dangerous for them.

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum THE LOUNGE WELCOME ! first timer