Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING end of bonding q’s

Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
    • Louiethebunny
      Participant
      603 posts Send Private Message

Yay for Louie and Lola, I believe they are almost 100% bonded, as of today, both rabbits groom each other, they share food, share litter boxes, share water, share toys, and cuddle and flop near or with each other. I have started prepping the room for moving day, and before everything is final I have a few questions.
        1. Should I still offer two litter boxes? They happily share and can both fit into one comfortably, but some people say to have two and others say they can share one.
        2. Should I offer separate water and food bowls? Water should always be ready for them and I’m not sure whether to have one or two bowls (same reasons as above). Food bowls and water bowls are both gladly shared, but for food I don’t keep their pen all the time, only when it’s meal time.
        3. How big should a pen for both be? Louise current pen is 4’ x 4’ and it’s a square and has a top on it. We are trying to expand it however it’ll be tricky to work out a way that can still have the top on so they don’t jump out. We plan to have a tall X pen attached to the one with the top so one area is shaded and one is open top. Because we might not expand right away, is 16 sq ft suitable for now? Lots of play time too.

• HipHopBunny
        Participant
        640 posts Send Private Message

Firstly, this is going to sound very childish, but yaaaaaaaaaaaay! 😀 That is amazing! How long did it take you to bond them? Two weeks? They are going to be an amazing pair! 😀

1: Two litter boxes spread out around the room for the free-roam time could be nice, making sure that there are no accidents, but for the x-pen, I think you would only need one.

2: I don’t think you will need separate food and water bowls, you may just have to fill them up a bit more often.

3: 16 sq ft sounds suitable with lots of play-time, agree though, extending it a bit more sounds good. 🙂

Everything you wrote sounds perfect to me, very spoiled buns 😉 Of course, though, we will need pics… 😛

• Sirius&Luna
          Participant
          2319 posts Send Private Message

Congratulations on your bonded bunnies!

I think more litter trays is always helpful! If you find they’re not using one you can always remove it further down the line but it’s better to have more and prevent bickering.

One large water bowl should be fine. If they share food bowls then again, one is probably fine but there’s no harm in offering two – they’ll probably share them both.

6 x 2 ft is the smallest possible size that is recommended, but the ideal would be bigger than that. If you can extend it be a couple more feet I think that would be better for them – often rabbits won’t actually jump out even if they physically could. A bed sheet draped over the top is enough to discourage jumping if they do.

I’m sure you’re well aware, but if they’re moving into a space that belonged to one of them before, it needs to be neutralised (wiped down with vinegar and water) and rearranged if possible. Make sure that any boxes have at least two entrances so no bun feels accidentally trapped.

• Louiethebunny
            Participant

Thanks for the advice! My Louie has actually started jumping out, hence the top. We tried everything but he was still jumping right out, and because he pees on my bed when I’m gone, we put a top on and then put some cardboard and a sheet on top of the metal top and it functions as a high up resting point for them as well. I’ve tossed the mat that lines the bottom of the xpen in the wash, and completely wiped down the area with a vinegar water soaked rag. I’ll offer one water bowl and two litter boxes, if one litter box is used more and the other is neglected I’ll remove the extra, and I’ll offer more water bowls if there’s any bickering. They have a little over 6×2, and I’ll look into expanding, but the website we use takes FOREVER to ship.

@hiphopbunny
              : it’s been ten or so days of full on bonding, one to two good sessions a day, typically one shorter and one longer, and some pre bonding and living as neighbors before that. I’m so lucky they were the perfect match, speed dating really did wonders.

• prince dorian the bun
              Participant
              743 posts Send Private Message

I just wanted to pop in and say CONGRATS!!

and personally I do multiples of stuff for one bun, especially with water as I want to make sure if it gets knocked over or stuff tossed in it he has another source if I don’t notice right off. But I don’t think it’s critical, just what has worked for me.

• Hazel
                Participant
                2587 posts Send Private Message

Ten days?! Show-off 😉

Seriously though, that’s amazing! Congrats! 😀

And yes, as HipHopBunny said, we want pics!

@Sirius&Luna : Good to see you’re back on BB! 🙂

• Louiethebunny
                  Participant

pictures, pictures! this is my new favorite photo!

• HipHopBunny
                    Participant

@Louiethebunny YAY! That is an adorable photo! Don’t tell me they have flopped next to each other in the actual territory? Speed dating really does magic. 🙂 And yes, agree with Hazel, you all are Big Show Offs! 😛

• Louiethebunny
                      Participant

Haha, we can’t help it 😝 They flopped together in Louie’s old xpen with I neutralised and added both their stuff! I also noticed that when I ran the vacuum, Lola was super scared and ran into her hidey spot, but Louie isn’t scared of the vacuum, so he hung around me then ran over to Lola to give her comfort.

• HipHopBunny
                        Participant

Do your Romeo and Juliet have any bonding tips for the rest of us? 😛

• Louiethebunny
                          Participant

Not sure… I believe the speed date was really what made the bond so easy. the only stressing technique I had done was when I took them home together in the same carrier, and I ran the vacuum and Louie went to go comfort Lola. I always offered food, and after a few sessions they had meals together and a session after. I did one long session and one short one per day, always ending on a good note. I slowly expanded their shared area in sessions, they used to just do their own thing, now they play together, sleep together, use the litter box together.

• HipHopBunny
                            Participant

Oh, those are good ideas. 😀 I’ll have to try them with my ladies, thank you. 🙂

• Louiethebunny
                              Participant

Hope things to well! I can’t wait for the trio photos you DEFINITELY have to take 😉

• HipHopBunny
                                Participant

@Louiethebunny LOL I guess I had it coming didn’t I? 😆

Viewing 13 reply threads
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING end of bonding q’s