Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Douxo chlorhexidine for skin treatments?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Lemony
      Participant
      32 posts Send Private Message

Hi all, my Luna was diagnosed with ringworm about a week ago 😕 we don’t know how she got it or where she got it from but symptoms started as a matted patch of fur that wouldn’t go away on her chin. They tested the skin underneath and it came back positive for ringworm and now we are treating both of our bunnies for it.

My vet is rabbit savvy but I’m worried about the treatment. 1. Luna will be taking Terbinafine oral medication and 2. both will need to be massaged with a mousse treatment called Douxo Chlorhexidine Mousse several times a week. I can’t find anything online about whether this is safe for buns or others who have needed to use it for skin treatment (it’s marketed towards cats and dogs only). I’m sure I’m being overly cautious but I want to know on the off chance if anyone has had success using this treatment for their buns?

• Wick & Fable
        5782 posts Send Private Message

In case it’s helpful, I documented a lot of my journey with one of my rabbit’s experiences with ringworm (soon to become syphilis; ringworm did not cause the syphilis– the stress just made it symptomatic) treatment: https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/update-fungalringworm-tx-no-actual-worms-involved/

A part of the treatment, especially in the beginning stages was a product called Nolvasan. Here is the explanation I provide, summarizing my vet’s instructions:

1) Nolvasan – topical “soap”, typically used to disinfect skin before surgeries. Apply a small amount to wet gauze, rub together to suds up, gently scrub the affected skin areas (focusing on the perimeter, where the fungal infection is located), wash off with another wet gauze, and dry. Applications for each patch should be done with new materials to avoid cross contamination.

… Nolvasan is another name for chlorhexidine, so I suspect the mousse will probably be fine?

— As to whether chlorhexidine treatment was successful, in my experience, it did a good job ensuring the scabs and irritated skin from the ringworm healed nicely. It was a pretty step-intensive treatment in the form I had it in, so I neglected to do it as ringworm episodes kept emerging, especially since the skin was pretty healthy at that point. Since my rabbit’s treatment involved a couple medications at once, plus now knowing ringworm symptoms very much overlapped with syphilis symptoms, it’s hard to say that it was truly effective.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Lemony
          Participant
          32 posts Send Private Message

Seeing as the Nolvasan treatment is also chlorhexidine is reassuring, I think seeing everywhere that it was meant for cats and dogs only was causing a bit of concern for me.
            Also wow! what a brave bunny getting through all of that in your post. My other rabbit Leo (though not showing symptoms, will still have to be treated since they’re bonded) really hates being grabbed/touched by humans so this entire process of going to the vet often and getting grabbed has been really terrible for him… poor guy

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Douxo chlorhexidine for skin treatments?