Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A (Update!) Fungal/Ringworm Tx (no actual worms involved)

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
    • Wick & Fable
      5781 posts Send Private Message

These forums have a slew of topics about GI Stasis, dental concerns, post-op care for spay/neuters, but I haven’t seen much for fungal infections. This is not meant to be diagnostic or used as guidelines for treatment without professional consultation. I am not a veterinarian. Wick has completed his treatment successfully, so see below for some information about one case of symptoms, diagnoses, and treatment of a ringworm fungal infection. 

**UPDATE (12/15/17): Second infection confirmed and treatment resumed. See below for dated items which correspond to the 2nd treatment.

**UPDATE (12/20/17): Treatment needs to be revised. See below for dated items!

**UPDATE (04/12/18): Treatment is coming to a close. Finally.

This will not apply to all rabbits, cases, and treatments:

Context: Due to a history of mild illnesses, Wick gets thoroughly examined by his parents every day. At this time, he was going through antibiotic treatment for a tooth infection, which became active after being irritated by a recent molar grinding.

** In between re-occurrences, Wick was still checked for patches, since we know it can come up again easily.

Symptoms: Wick had fur loss on both sides of his mouth, which was not noticeable until the fur was parted. It was minor. It was monitored for a week before visiting the vet, since it was increasing in size and was developing white to off-white crust at its perimeter.

(12/15/17) Small patches appeared of both corners of the mouth, similar to last time. After 2 days, its growth was apparent.

Veterinary Assessment: Upon seeing the crustiness, Wick’s vet pulled a tuff out and put it under a microscope with a bit of solution added. The root was essentially squiggly and windy, rather than straight, which is a sign of a fungal infection working its way through the fur.

(12/15/17) Rabbit syphilis was quickly ruled out since the area focused on the skin around the mouth, not being lesions in the mouth. Wick may be more sensitive to ringworm than normal rabbits.

Diagnosis: Ringworm fungal infection, caused by environmental spores and thrived because young rabbit skin does not have anti-fungal properties to resist the spores. “Ringworm” describes the visual pattern of a bare-skin circle which expands as the infection moves out further and further, searching for a place to thrive. Fur falls out at each expansion and may grow back in once it passes.

Treatment: (Topical: AM & PM; Antibiotic: PM) >> (04/12/18) Treatment was eventually ramped down to once per day (topical), and once per week (antibiotic).

1a) Nolvasan – topical “soap”, typically used to disinfect skin before surgeries. Apply a small amount to wet gauze, rub together to suds up, gently scrub the affected skin areas (focusing on the perimeter, where the fungal infection is located), wash off with another wet gauze, and dry. Applications for each patch should be done with new materials to avoid cross contamination.
        1b) (12/15/17) Nolvasan reinstated for 2nd episode of infection.

2a) Silvadine (silver sulfadiazine) – topical cream, typically used to treat burns. After Nolvasan scrub and dry, use Q-tip to apply cream to the perimeter of each affected region. Use a different Q-tip to prevent cross contamination, and never double-dip into the silvadine container.
        2b) (12/20/17) Silvadine re-administered to replace clotrimazole (see below)
        2c) (04/12/18) Dry skin no longer an issue, so a permanent discontinuation of silvadine.

3a) Itraconazole – Oral antibiotic. Wick was given a conservative dose as a preventative measure, because although the affected area was small, there were two areas (two sides of face), so this was added to the topical treatment to prevent further infection. The antibiotic will promote better fungal resistance in the long-term as well. Side note: Wick LOVED this medication.
        3b) (12/20/17) Itraconazole reinstated to help treat the 2nd episode of infection
        3c) (4/12/18) Continued, but window in between doses has grown to now only once a week; same dose.

4) Probiotic Powder – Standard supplement to any antibiotic treatment Wick receives to prevent digestive upset. Given twice a day on a piece of wet romaine.
        4a) No longer using since antibiotic is not administered very often, and the effectiveness of probiotic powders have generally been questioned.

5a) (12/15/17) Clotrimazole Solution, 1% – Topical treatment which replaces Silvadine, since Wick doesn’t like it. No known bad reactions or side effects reported with this antifungal solution. Apply onto clean area and leave there. It is a clear liquid I can apply with my finger for ease of use, washing afterwards and never double dipping across patches to avoid contamination.
        5b)(12/20/17) Clotrimazole discontinued and replaced with Silvadine. The clotrimazole was irritating Wick. This was a personal call of my own after 2 days following the assigned regimen. Wick’s vet confirmed this is the right choice and to continue with the Silvadine.
        5c) (4/12/18) Clotrimazole will be the final treatment, since dry skin hasn’t been an issue now.

7) (12/20/17) Oxbow Multi-Vitamin Supplements – Will be purchasing these and trying these to see if they help prevent future infection.

Treatment Notes

• Wick would groom the Silvadine off immediately, followed by excessive collar grooming to compensate for feeling uncomfortable. To compensate, we’d give Wick fresh hay and treats to distract him for at least 10min so the cream could treat the infection before being groomed off by him. Eventually, we discontinued the cream and just stuck with the Nolvasan scrub and itraconazole since the infection markedly reduced and visually undetectable (no crust).
        • It is very important to look thoroughly at the region to ensure the topical treatments are covering everything. There were times where a crusty area would spread a tiny bit because it was missed at the previous application.
        • When the fungal infection was pretty much eliminated, it was important to only apply treatment where it was still affected. To be cautious, I applied it to the entire area still, but realized the skin patch was growing because the treatment and Wick grooming the treatment was causing fur loss instead of the fungal infection now.

• (12/15/17) It seems the spores for this infection cannot be eliminated from the environment since Wick is free roam and there’s no knowing where the spores have spread. Treatment will continue, but I’m encouraged to look for immune system support supplements to potentially help Wick with his sensitivity to this fungal spore.

• (12/20/17) Clotrimazole was irritating Wick, and the crustiness resulting from the fungal infection did not help. Treatment switched to Silvadine because, although Wick excessively groomed himself, it’s better than the clotrimazole, which made him very uncomfortable. Thankfully, I’ve become very skilled at topical applications and Wick has become very compliant— I am able to apply the Silvadine on just the bald spots, plus the perimeter, without having globs which Wick spreads to other fur areas.

• (4/11/18) Shifted back to clotrimazole, and it has not been irritating his skin anymore. This will most likely be the last treatment course.

End of Treatment: Total treatment lasted two weeks. One week following treatment, the majority of Wick’s fur has grown back in healthy.

(12/20/17) Not yet concluded!

(4/12/18) So close!

— Feel free to ask any questions! See below for some videos and images from Wick’s treatment adventures from Round 1:

Wick’s reactions to the topical treatment:
        http://www.instagram.com/p/BbCewzDlYRl/?taken-by=wick_theboogeyman
        http://www.instagram.com/p/BbEyNVCFgVR/?taken-by=wick_theboogeyman
        http://www.instagram.com/p/BbHi4R2lg2C/?taken-by=wick_theboogeyman

Medication and administration:
        http://www.instagram.com/p/BbFWAW0lI4E/?taken-by=wick_theboogeyman
        http://www.instagram.com/p/BbHhbVYlZTL/?taken-by=wick_theboogeyman

Appearance during the treatment phase:

View this post on Instagram

Vet Visit Summary – Don't let the scowl fool you! Wick is a vet office frequent and favorite for clients who come in while he's waking up in the lobby from a dental grinding. There was a back right molar with a spur, so it's been smoothed down. We're hoping that's what was making Wick still produce saliva bubbles since his very recent last grinding on 10/03. Today, we learned that Wick's bottom incisors can help identify teeth trouble. His jaw misalignment makes Wick prone to changing chew method at the slightest spur, causing the bottom incisors to wear down at angles, rather than a straight, horizontal line. Wick's vet trimmed them straight today as well. Additionally, Wick will continue the Nolvasan and itraconazole fungal treatment for only one more week, then, hopefully Wick will be all done. Thanks Wick's vet for taking care of his back claws during the dental as well! #netherlanddwarf #bunniesofinstagram #rabbitsofinstagram #bunny #rabbit #petsofinstagram #pet #petbunny

A post shared by (John) Wick (@wick_theboogeyman) on

http://www.instagram.com/p/BbZpII9lrc3/?taken-by=wick_theboogeyman

Appearance after recovery:
        http://www.instagram.com/p/BcD8vcth-ao/?taken-by=wick_theboogeyman

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• Fluffykins
        Participant
        239 posts Send Private Message

Wow excellent! Thanks so much for writing this up, I know it’ll for sure help someone somewhere.

Wick is crazy cute!

• Bam
          16871 posts Send Private Message

Thank you, Wick! Very valuable!

• Wick & Fable

Update: I’ll have a confirmation this Friday, but I’ve been monitoring and partially treating Wick once again for ringworm. I believe it’s developing right at the corners of his mouth. As a precaution, I’m re-administering itraconazole once a day, and I’ve been doing just Nolvasan treatment once a day. I have been backing off on this though because at first it seemed promising, but now it seems to be more irritating to Wick. Because the location is right next to his mouth, I’m getting Wick’s vet’s 1) confirmation on what it is and 2) advice on what topical treatments to use/how often, since it’s more likely Wick will lick off any treatment immediately.

In terms of why it came back, the spores most likely stuck around somewhere, such as his hay (my main suspect since it developed around his mouth). Unfortunately, it’s not possible to clean hay or eliminate the spores, so I’m going to play a bit of a waiting game, trouble-shooting treatment as necessary until Wick builds up immunity to the ringworm, as he should since animals do as they mature. Wick’s vet will provide the absolute treatment. I’ll update everyone once the visit occurs.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• LittlePuffyTail
              18092 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for sharing Wick’s experience. This is not an area in which I have very much knowledge.

• Dee
                Participant
                704 posts Send Private Message

Thanks, Wick! Very informative, and something I never thought affected bunnies. Some of the residents at my job have had it lately- fortunately I change immediately upon walking in the door because I’m exposed to MRSA, C. Diff and lots of other fun stuff at work.

I really appreciate how you outline everything from start to finish- you should write a bunny book. I’d buy it ☺.

I hope Wick is fungus free very soon- it’s discouraging to think you’re all done with a bunny illness and then have it reappear. Great that you have a vet you can trust too, especially with things like this that might not be seen every day in practice.

• Dee
                  Participant
                  704 posts Send Private Message

Lol- I just watched the videos- he is adorable ?
                    And I see you got Bunny Butt as well as Foot Flicking! Wick really knows how to disapprove!

• Wick & Fable

Update! Wick’s vet agreed it’s the fungal infection again and was glad I was getting ahead and scrubbing it. Unfortunately, the spores can be around for literally forever, so it will up to Wick to be strong and grow less sensitive to it. I’m looking into immune support supplements now. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Treatment for round two is slightly different. No itraconazole (to Wick’s disappointment. He loves it.), but we would reinstate it if the infection begins to spread more. Nolvasan will be used as usual, but since Wick doesn’t like Silvadine, we have a new topical treatment to put and leave on after the Nolvasan. It’s called clotrimazole. It’s specifically an antifungal solution that I just dab in the affected area like a regular liquid ointment.

When getting a new medicine or regimen for Wick, I always confirm my dosing, how many times, and any expected side effects. Clotrimazole isn’t known to have bad reactions and works fine with Nolvasan, since you should clean the area before clotrimazole application anyways.

As before, I’ll be on guard for new patches which may appear. With it’s current location, the inside of his paws and by the dewclaws is most focused on because when he grooms, there’s always a chance he’ll spread it there.

• Wick & Fable

Update: Clotrimazole has been replaced by Silvadine because the clotrimazole irritated his skin. I’ve gotten very good at topical applications, so I’m able to be very precise with the Silvadine, causing minimal discomfort/excessive grooming.

Itraconazole has been restarted since the infection is not as deterred as it should be. Wick’s vet also recommended trying the Oxbow Multi-vitamin as an immune system booster.

— Wick also had his teeth done today, so that should help too.

• Wick & Fable

Hi again everyone! Update for Wick:

Fungal infection is still going, but almost gone on his left side I believe, but still a good area in the right.

Wick has reached a tolerance for facial treatment now, doing his equivalent of “biting” me while I do it, rather than just sitting through it. His biting is just touching his open teeth to a surface, nor actually chomping down. It makes me feel distressed knowing he’s been pushed to a very non-Wick behavior, but after it’s done, he reverts back to his usual.

• Wick & Fable

Hi everyone. Update for Wick:

Fungal infection, yes, is still there, but it’s only around his mouth and his chin, which is where it always originates in the first place. Positive signs are the skin is very healthy and moisturized, which has been a sign of healing in his other areas.’

Treatment is only once per day now, and antibiotic treatment is only once per week, just as a safe measure.

We’re finally. Almost. Done… hopefully.

• Wick & Fable

Ringworm is gone two weeks without treatment. Thank goodness.

• BB8
                              Participant
                              101 posts Send Private Message

Congrats Wick!

Viewing 12 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A (Update!) Fungal/Ringworm Tx (no actual worms involved)