Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny starting to like me – I think?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Socksbun
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

I just got a new bunny 2 weeks ago (Holland Lop) and I think she is starting to like me? I can’t really tell because it’s only when I have food / treats. She eats out of my hand, will let me hold her paws while she snacks, lets me pet her, and generally while I sit in her pen doing work she will walk over my legs, sniff at me, etc.

Recently she bonked my leg a few times with her head – what does this typically mean? Does she want more treats or pets? I petted her after she nudged me but she ran away…

Also when will she get comfortable enough to lie down closer to me or groom me? I’m really excited and hoping I’ve got one of the more “affectionate” bunny breeds as I want to form a close bond with her. Thanks!

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

It’s only been 2 weeks, but she does sound like she’s curious. This is typical of young bunnies. She wants to check you out, but not necessarily be touched. The fact that she will take food and treats from your hand is a good sign that she is comfortable with you. And yes, that IS all they care about – food, food, food. The nose bonking can mean a lot of things, but it generally means “move”. They will do it if they think you’re in their way.

I would just keep doing what you’re doing. Keep in mind though, it can take a long time to get to the point where they will accept pets. My bunnies were adults before they finally decided, hey this petting thing is kinda nice. I think they were around 3.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

Sounds like things are going well! My main advice is to play a little “hard to get”. Don’t force interaction or petting. The first goal is to let her get to the point where she feels comfortable laying near you, which may not happen if you are trying to pet her often. Hand feeding is good, and spending time with her just “ignoring” her is also very good.

She may never groom you (many buns aren’t really groomers), but I’m sure you will form your own bond with her. Shy buns can be the most rewarding to earn the trust of.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny starting to like me – I think?