Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny housing/space issues

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
    • BooBooBunny
      Participant
      30 posts Send Private Message

So since i went from one bunny to four bunnies last week, I am having some space issues.  I should be moving in the next few months to a house where they could bascially have their own room, but for now space is limited.  My Boo, the bunny I’ve had for several years, is in my bedroom (and I would never have him anywhere else because I’d miss too much, I’m corny what can I say)  and right now the other three are in the living room temporarily (the female in her cage and males in their cage).  I could probably fit one more cage in my bedroom, but I dont want my boo to feel like his turf has been invaded, especially since we had an incident the other day where he and the little girl got into a bit of a tiff (to the point where he crawled up on my lap afterwards and stood up on my chest asking to be held, he never wants to be held!  I felt so terrible…).  Do you think having her in the same room with him even if their cages aren’t in close proximity would be upsetting to him?  My other thought was that I have what I guess is a small dog pen that was given to me with the buns, and I figured if I set that up in the basement the two bonded boys could stay there together.  But I just feel kind of guilty leaving them in the basement, not to mention its a little chilly.  If I were to put down a few blankets for insulation, and then hang another over the side to protect from drafts, would that be enough? And would they be ok alone down there for half the day as long as they have each other for company?  Once again, just hoping for some advice for someone who’s had more experience than I have!  Thanks again.

Oh, and on an unrelated note:  The girl who I got the new bunnies from told me she stays away from kale because she read that it can make bunnies “star gaze” (get them high basically I guess).  I knew it could be high in calcium, but my bunny has always loved it in moderation.  Should I be staying away from it?

• bunnytowne
        Participant
        7537 posts Send Private Message

awe I would let your main bunny keep his bedroom. I have that with my neuter male and the new young female. I cannot let  her invade his turf cuz it upsets him extremely so. and when He knows I been holding her infront of him he goes manic. so I don’t let him see me hold her either. your bonded males. well they can take cold better than heat but I dont’ know maybe someone else who knows more on that issue will answer that. hey maybe you could let the girl have the kitchen or the boys have the kitchen for now?

• skunklionshow
          Participant
          1257 posts Send Private Message

I hear ya about space.  How much longer until you move into the house?  I’m thinking that if you set the basement up just right and spend quality time w/ them down there, it should be ok.  Maybe the 2 bonded in the basement, 1 in the living room, and your bedroom bunny (that didn’t sound right?  I know that buns and cats are very different, but my brother and his family have a cat pride that live in their basement.  They had taken in a feral momma and her litter of 5.  They were all kept separate from his regular house cat, which turned out to be a good thing b/c the feral pride was all FeLuk +.  Due to their diagnosis, they decided not to give them up for adoption +/or a shelter and moved them into their basement.  Its set up as a kitty playground.  They spend time w/ them in the basement, both playing and reading (their 1st grader) to them.  Everyone is happy and the kitty pride have a great home w/ lots of love.

So I’m thinking since its temporary, maybe spreading everyone out would be a good idea.  I would recommend one of those ceramic space heaters that shuts off when knocked over.  That’s what I use in my kitchen b/c it’s not insolated or heated.

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi BooBoo! The basement sounds like a good option, however when you say it is chilly, what is the tempertaure down there? If you provide bedding and they are out of drafts and something like a hidey box, they’ll be just fine. While rabbits really like social interaction with humans, I think it would be a good temporary solution to your space problem. Just be sure to spend some time down there with them as well. I would steer clear of bringing another rabbit into your room as behavioral issues will likely crop up from Boo. Rabbits like things to be “the usual” and not changing all the time. Another option to think about is stacking the cages on top of one another. The down side to this that to give one free run time you would have to pick them up and take them out of the cage and put them in it when their out-time was over. Have you thought about using NIC panels to create several floors? You could do something like a duplex for them (all one cage but two separate living areas with multiple floors). Also you can place a cage under a desk or coffee table as well, just be sure to bunny proof.

• Gravehearted
              Participant
              2428 posts Send Private Message

i think you’ve gotten lots of great housing advice so far.

the kale does not make rabbit high or star gaze. Since it is high in calcium and oxalates, it should only be given to bunnies once a week. It is a favorite of many bunnies.

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                Participant
                12067 posts Send Private Message

Yeh lots of good advice!! Let us know how it works out for you!! ….do you want to share any pictures of your bunnies by chance?

• BooBooBunny
                  Participant
                  30 posts Send Private Message

Thanks for all the suggestsions everyone! I think the basement is the only option right now for the two bonded males. The amount of poop I am cleaning up off the floor every day after out of cage time is just overwhelming. And I litterally gasped the other day when I saw one of the boys projectile urinate about three feet outside of his cage onto the living room carpet. These three are making any bad things that my Boo has ever done look so tame in comparision to what they are doing, its so exasperating. But I’m determined to make it work. So they will be having to move to the basement for now, they are pretty indifferent towards me so as long as they have each other I think they will be ok, and they seem much happier in the pen than in their cage anyway.

Also does anyone have any opinions on the neutering spaying situation for me? I am thinking right now the girl has to get spayed ASAP, she is super aggressive towards my boo (but not towards the other two males for whatever reason) and lunges and bites hard whenever I move anything in her cage (and then nudges me to pet her, go figure). Boo has always given warning bites, but never broke the skin, which she already has several times. But with the males: one is 8 years old, so I’m not sure if thats even worth it to put him through getting neutered at that age. But would it be at all detrimental to have his cage mate neutered (hes only 2) and leave the other intact? I’d at least like to cut down on some of the projectile peeing and spraying if I can.

And I might as well add yet another question (sorry, I need all the help I can get now!). I am obviously going through lettuce and greens like they are going out of style now that I have 4 rabbits each eating between 2 1/2 and 3 1/2 cups per day, I was wondering if it might be possible to ask a market or something if they would cut me a deal since I’m buying mass quantities. Has anyone ever done anything like this, is it even a possibility?

And yes I would love to share pictures of my bun’s. I have tons of Boo on the computer already, I just need to get a minute (they’ve been taking up most of me free time since they’ve gottenhere) to get some up of the other three and I will happily share them!

Thanks again everyone for all the advice, its really helping out to get opinions from people with more experience, and sorry for all the questions!

• Beka27
                    Participant
                    16016 posts Send Private Message

my memory isn’t what it used to be… Boo is neutered already right?  i would actually try to get all three of the new bunnies altered at the same time if possible, and hopefully before you move, so there is time for the bad habits and hormones to decrease.  you’ll hopefully have less territory issues then, or else you’ll have to do the whole marking thing all over in the new place.

as far as the one older bun… i’m not sure if he would still be able to be neutered, i have no experience with that.  i think that older buns tend to calm with age anyways.

do you have any discount supermarket or food stores around you?  in Ohio (and maybe other states) we have Marc’s stores and Aldi’s and other “no-name stores” which have some grocery store cast offs… they may not have as long of a refrigerator life, but if you bought veggies twice a week instead of once a week, you could do okay.  or maybe strictly shop sales.  i think many grocery stores will send out circulars thru the mail and you could look to buy things that are on sale.  i don’t think they’d cut the price for you, retail businesses don’t really work that way.  i also just learned that there are sometimes “throw-away veggie” like carrot tops and outside leaves that stores will toss.  you might be able to ask for those for free.

• skunklionshow
                      Participant
                      1257 posts Send Private Message

If you need to space it out due to costs…I would do the females first.  Mostly b/c of the increase incidences of mammary tumors.  As far as the veggies….I can get the best discounts in Spring/Summer at my local farmer’s market.  I get the freshest veggies and b/c I establish myself as a regular, they often cut me a break by about 10%.  They also save the tossables for me (i.e. extra leaves & tops) & will throw in the veggies or herbs that won’t make it back to the farm b/c they are a bit tired….you know not as fresh.

Out here you can buy greens in a huge bag at the Costco stores and some grocery stores.  They are the brand name “Glory” and are pretty cheap and last a while.  I would think that maybe your neighborhood grocery store would be more willing to cut you a deal that a chain store.  I would speak w/ the manager and explain your situation and needs.  Maybe you could try a trial period to see if its in both of your best interests and see if you can pick up the scraps every Monday or something.  Maybe he would even throw in the veggies that are close to death and won’t make it to the next day.

• Scarlet_Rose
                        Participant
                        4293 posts Send Private Message

Hi Booboobunny!  The basement sounds like a great idea.  As far as spaying/neutering go, the spaying is more expensive and a more invasive procedure.  However females have a high incidence of uterine cancer (80%) and mammary tumors as well.  With the boys it is a snip snip and they tend to recover a bit faster.  As for the 8 year old, I don’t think it will be a good idea to have him neutered, he could be considered high risk because of his age.  This would be something to discuss with your bunny savvy vet.

Greens, yes you can ask the grocery store for any veggies they are tossing.  With summer coming up there will be farmers markets where you can get them at fairly good prices.  Have you also thought about growing your own? Just another idea is to try any Asian markets near you, they tend to have good prices on veggies as well.

• BinkyBunny
                          8776 posts Send Private Message

Do you have a farmers market on weekends? I know here, I can get veggies at half price that way. We also grow alot of parsley in our garden. It grows fast, and it regrows quickly if you cut it, though it will get thicker and thicker, and then you have to replant.

Viewing 10 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny housing/space issues