Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny has a scab

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • auntie
      Participant
      91 posts Send Private Message

I have 2 male rabbits and I was petting one of the rabbits and felt what I at first thought was dried poop on his back but it wouldn’t come off. I checked it and it’s a scab. There’s no fur loss. Any suggestions?

• Bam
        16877 posts Send Private Message

My first guess would be that the other bun bit the bun that now has a scab.

Are your buns neutered? Two intact males cant live peacefully together. They will hurt each other. They can be friends one minute, mortal enemies the next.

• auntie
          Participant

They are brothers and they get along great. They are not fixed. I’m trying to decide if I’m going to fix them. They are a little over a year old.

they do play rough sometimes. We separate them at nighttime.

will the scab come off on its own?

Thank you!

• Bam
            16877 posts Send Private Message

Yes, the scab will come off. These typesof wounds as a rule heal well without intervention, but it can take a cpl weeks. Just keep an eye so you catch any type if infection early. Signs of infection are for example undue swelling, marked redness, seepage, foul smell, a lump forming under the scab (rabbits are prone to abscesses). If the scab is dry and the skin around it looks and feels good, it will heal by itself.

I strongly recommend that you neuter both boys. They can hurt each other badly f ex during backwards humping. The sooner you can get them fixed, the greater the chances of them forming a strong and lifelong bond.

• auntie
                Participant

Thank you so much! I’ll watch out for those things. And I will call my vet to schedule

• auntie
                  Participant

I have a appointment for both boys to be neutered at the end of October

• LBJ10
                    16908 posts Send Private Message

That’s good! Hopefully once that is done and they have been given some time to settle, they will be able to form a real bond. If they are already tolerating each other (more or less), then it shouldn’t be too hard once they are neutered.

• DanaNM
                    8935 posts Send Private Message

Agree with Bam, they should be separated  and neutered as it sounds like they are already fighting due to their hormones. Fighting can turn very serious in a flash, but once you neuter them you can go through the bonding process and they can live happily together. Un-bonded rabbits should not live together, and unfortunately rabbits don’t recognize family relationships.

You can read about the bonding process here: https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/bonding/

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• auntie
                        Participant

Thank you for your information much appreciated.

• LBJ10
                        16908 posts Send Private Message

It sounds like they are OK with each other most of the time and then have scuffles when they are too much in each others’ space. With hormones involved, one of these scuffles could escalate quickly and without warning. If you want them to have a good, long-lasting bond, then they will need to be neutered. Otherwise their hormones will always be getting in the way.

• auntie
                            Participant

They are most of the time but now that they are going through those hormones I am planning on neutering them.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A Bunny has a scab