Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bunny Bonding

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
    • HollandLop
      Participant
      3 posts Send Private Message

Ive had my first rabbit Holland for about a year and decided to tey and get him a friend, so i got a rabbit, Halsey, off of someone who needed to get rid of her because animals kept attacking her. Holland is neutered but Halsey isnt spayed. Ive had halsey for about 6 days now and ive kept them mostly seperate (they can still sniff eachother between the bars) but i put them together once in a while to get them used to eachother in one anothers areas. They sniff eachother through the bars and stuff and when i put them together they sniff eachother and halsey hides under holland. Lately though holland has been chasing her around and humping her and she takes it until she decides to run away (he bites her fur but i try to get him not to) i read to just let it happen but i feel really bad for halsey. They lay next to eachother and sniff eachother normally but then holland goes and chases and humps her im not sure what to do. Or if im doing this right, i need help and the info online is very confusing

• Bam
        16870 posts Send Private Message

Hi and welcome to Binkybunny! I moved your post to the bonding section where I’m sure our bonding expert Dana will see it!

Meanwhile, we have a bonding template that you can copy and paste into a reply to this thread and fill in, if you like to. It’s a selection of questions that can be helpful to specify your particular situation, as all bonding adventures are unique. Here’s the link to the post with the template: https://binkybunny.com/forums/topic/bonding-template-read-me-for-bonding-help/

• DanaNM
          8929 posts Send Private Message

Hi there, welcome!

The most important thing you need to do is get Halsey spayed. It is very difficult (often impossible) to bond rabbits when one is un-altered because their hormones will prevent a proper bond from forming. Holland will mount her relentlessly until she is spayed, unlike in a normal bonding session where mounting is part of establishing dominance.

I would stop all bonding sessions until Halsey is spayed, and give her at least 4 weeks for her hormones to settle before starting bonding sessions again.

It’s true that info online can be very confusing because there are a lot of conflicting opinions! I recommend reading this guide and sticking to this format for the basics: https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/bonding/

Then when you start sessions again feel free to post more here and we can help with the specifics. 🙂

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• HollandLop
            Participant

Update because I didnt see rhis post till now 😅 They are pretty well bonded, he still mounts her once in a while but its not relentless.. they groom eachother and play, although ive noticed holland isnt eating as much anymore and I was wondering if it has something to do with her or if it would be unrelated?

• HollandLop
              Participant

Update because I didnt see rhis post till now 😅 They are pretty well bonded, he still mounts her once in a while but its not relentless.. they groom eachother and play, although ive noticed holland isnt eating as much anymore and I was wondering if it has something to do with her or if it would be unrelated?

• DanaNM
                8929 posts Send Private Message

Holland could be eating less due to stress. How is he doing now?

I urge you not to consider them fully bonded…. having a hormonal rabbit in the mix can make things volatile and unstable. He could be mounting less because he isn’t feeling well, as you mentioned he isn’t eating that well.

As an aside, reproductive cancer rates are extremely high in unspayed female rabbits, so spaying is important for that reason as well.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bunny Bonding