Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Bun getting spayed this coming Friday – any advice?

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
    • borya91
      Participant
      40 posts Send Private Message

This bunny is very skittish and very scared.  I took her to the vet for an initial visit and it took the vet, myself, and a vet aid, just to get her up on the table.  Very skittish bunny.   (Though when she is at home in my kitchen, she is very content).

Getting her spayed this coming Friday, it just seemed like time.  But I feel so bad about it because I know how scared she is going to be.  Does anyone have any advice?  I plan to leave work early and spend the rest of the day with her.  Don’t know what to expect or what I can do.  I feel so bad for what awaits her   But it seemed like it’s healthier for her in the long run. 

• DanaNM
        8930 posts Send Private Message

Getting her spayed is definitely a good idea for long term health, so good job on that! And good job doing your homework on it before hand.

The first tip is to confirm that your vet very experienced with rabbit spays. A good test is whether they tell you to fast her before surgery. Bunnies should NOT be fasted before surgery, so if they tell you to, that should be a red flag to go to another vet. That said, my vet has said to skip the big pile of veggies right before anesthesia, but they should never tell you to take away hay or water.

The other big thing is to make sure they send you home with pain medication and critical care in case she doesn’t start eating again right away. Pain medication is crucial, and sometimes you need to do a syringe feeding or two just to get them going again after anesthesia.

You might even want to pick some up now, and see if she’ll eat it readily. Some buns love the taste, so if you get them used to it before they need it, they think of it like a treat.

When she comes home, she will appreciate a place that is warm and quiet. You should make sure her area is set up so she can’t jump up on anything, and you’ll need to restrict her space while she heals (the vet can tell you for how long exactly).

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• tobyluv
          Participant
          3310 posts Send Private Message

Have a good variety of her favorite greens and fruit on hand after the surgery. Sometimes, a rabbit doesn’t want pellets, but will eat veggies. You may even want to have foods on hand that she’s never tried before, like mint or other herbs or rose petals. The surgery, anesthesia and pain meds can affect their appetite. Some rabbits may come home and eat their regular foods, and others may not want to have anything to do with those, so it can be good to have a variety and some new items. The vet usually asks that you bring food with you, since they like to see that a rabbit is eating before going home.

If you do have to resort to giving Critical Care, some rabbits will eat it from a dish. It’s more tempting to them if you add a little baby food or plain canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling).

• Kiki
            Participant
            205 posts Send Private Message

Bananas or pears if your bun likes them, it’s the only thing that got indie’s interest at first

• Bunny-Love
              Participant
              2 posts Send Private Message

Hi there, i know this is not about the convo but is is an emergency. My bunny went to the vet yesterday for her first ever vaccine. But it was a disaster. She jumped out of the scale and jumped from the really high counter onto the floor. Today i realised that she could not use her front left arm/paw. She raises it above the ground when hopping around. Please can somebody help me figure out if it is a strain or if it is broken. I can not afford to get surgery.

• DanaNM
                8930 posts Send Private Message

Hi Bunny – Love,

Sorry you are going through this. Please take her back to the vet. Since she injured her self there perhaps you can bargain with them?

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• borya91
                  Participant
                  40 posts Send Private Message

Hey Bunny – Love I’m so sorry to hear this I also agree you should speak to that vet again. Especially as it happened there. I would hope that they would follow up with her

To everyone who gave me suggestions – thanks quite a lot for all that. This vet also I found her on the House Rabbit Society list of good rabbit vets. And I really trusted her immediately with this rabbit and she was just so kind to her, and clearly loves rabbits. I can’t really forget how kind she was to the rabbit, she was so natural with her! I believe she treats rabbits often. The advice here was all fantastic. I might be delaying the spay by a week and a half, which would give time to make sure I have some good treats, etc. on hand as well. Thanks everyone

Bunny – Love – I am hoping the best for you bun! Please update us what happened?

• Bam
                    16872 posts Send Private Message

Here is a thread Bunny-Love has made about her bunny’s arm:

https://binkybunny.com/FORUM/tabid/54/aft/171335/Default.aspx

It’s probably more practical if we keep the arm-topic in that thread, Bunny-Love, we’d be interested in updates!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Bun getting spayed this coming Friday – any advice?