Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A bonding after a spay

Viewing 16 reply threads
  • Author
    • babybunsmum
      Participant
      3896 posts Send Private Message

how long is recommended to wait after a spay before starting a bonding process?  i know my vet will tell me how long the surgery recovery is, but i’m thinking it may be wise to wait longer for hormones to level off.  now that i’ve said that i realize it will probably vary from bun to bun… but does anyone have a range guess-timate?  or perhaps behavioral signs to watch for?

pinky gets spayed next thursday   and i’m not too sure what behaviours of hers are hormone based to be honest.  other than trying to mount baby bun when they had those 2 chance meetings of course.  she was nipping & digging for attention but has eased off that considerably now (i EEEKed every time & i think she got the picture that it wasn’t cool). 

• osprey
        Participant
        2065 posts Send Private Message

Conventional wisdom is that a bunny takes about a month to have their hormone level drop to their post spay levels.  I would say a minimum of a week is required for the spay scar to heal sufficiently for the bunny to be allowed to be around other animals.  After the scar is nicely healed and Pinky is eating normally and is off meds, then I think you could try very short, very supervised sessions.  You just have to make sure that she is not going to get super territorial and attack the other bunny.

• Sarita
          Participant
          18851 posts Send Private Message

Well some of my spayed rabbits still nip and dig so those behaviors are not always hormonal or even age related since my rabbits are all over 5 years old.

I do agree that probably at least a month though would be a good idea.

I got Cupcake spayed about 3 weeks ago and luckily she’s perfect – no bad habits before or after other than running like lightening and not allowing me to catch her.

• babybunsmum
            Participant

lol.  running like lightening.  cute.  not for you when you’re trying to catch her, i know, but cute.

i think i’ll aim for starting a month after then, since it’s a rule of thumb.  i’m going to have to do a lot of reading & learning about what is okay / not okay behaviour on bunny dates… like mounting to establish dominance, circling and so on.  i’m pretty sure that both my bun buns are going to try to be dominant unless the spay works some magic on pinky.  altho both buns do groom the dog, so…?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
              Participant
              12067 posts Send Private Message

BBM you and I should start a thread like Markus’s since we are both attempting bonding of our new big beautiful bunnies!! Whatdayasay?

Markus can we copy you, pretty please?

• babybunsmum
                Participant

i was thinking of that!  if markus doesn’t object to us being copycats … then i’m in!  won’t be a lot of action from me for another month but i am doing some pre-bonding stuff.  it’ll give me an excuse to post pics & vids of my furbabies!  and i’d love to read about how rupert is doing with kokanee & kahlua

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                  Participant

Cool I’ll start it up, how bout ” The bonding adventures of Pinky and Rupert” ?

• babybunsmum
                    Participant

sounds good to me

• apanda
                      Participant
                      139 posts Send Private Message

oo can I join in too since the new bun from craigslist will be dropped off next saturday?

• MarkBun
                        Participant
                        2842 posts Send Private Message

You have my blessings. It would be nice to have a couple of others up there so people don’t see the saga with Maryann and Dono and say “Wholy crap! I’m not going to try that!”

Oh, and my buns are still doing fine. Maryann nips from time to time (usually when Dono gets to the food bowl before her) but I have to believe she is happier when I see her plop down next to Dono.

• babybunsmum
                          Participant

i’m sure the dono dynamic is a really good thing for her over all health even if he needs to be schooled every now & again.  how is dono settling in now?  do you see a little more personality out oh him since he can be more relaxed & has a girlfriend?

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant

apand of course you can join our bonding thread…Is your new bunny with you now? Pics please!!!

• apanda
                              Participant
                              139 posts Send Private Message

nope still waiting. she is coming this saturday I can’t wait!

here is what she looks like:

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                Participant

aWWWW look at her mouth sooo cute!! Shes adorable! YOu must be on the edge of your seat!!

• MarkBun
                                  Participant
                                  2842 posts Send Private Message

I haven’t had a lot of time to experience Dono really. all of my time is spent cleaning up their enclosure as apparently Maryann has taken to digging the litter tray out onto the floor and Dono shreds every toy I put in there. By the time I’m done cleaning, I’m either too tired to let them stay out longer or they’re too frightened by all the cleaning.

• Gravehearted
                                    Participant
                                    2428 posts Send Private Message

oo my, she is cuteness personified or umm bunnified

• babybunsmum
                                      Participant

apanda… she’s very very sweet   you must be really excited!

markusdark… yeah 2 buns is a lot of work.  especially when one of them is litterbox tossing!  oi.  my quality time with the buns would be limited to when i’m cleaning their areas if it weren’t for me working from home.  technically i’m not ‘spending time with them’ while i work, but since i talk to them out loud & get up occasionally to reprimand them, they don’t notice i’m working

Viewing 16 reply threads
                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A bonding after a spay