Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING Bonding a fixed with an unfixed bunny

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
    • Maria Mota
      Participant
      1 posts Send Private Message

Dear all,

I adopted a couple baby bunnies (males: Alex and Haldir) in September last year, they are 5 months old now. I was ready to neuter them, but after the Christmas vacation, their sitter said they behave so good I should think about breeding them. When she said that, I started to think about getting a black female as we lost our beloved satin bunny in June last year, so this idea gave me the hopes to bond the best behaved of the two babies with a black female and maybe get another female someday. But, the babies started fighting and one of them hurt the other (Alex attacked Haldir, nothing serious, just a tuff of fur went flying and Haldir has a patch on his skin). I have them separated now but they are brothers and they love each other since they groom each other since little. My question is, I have an appointment with the vet next Monday to schedule the neutering, but can I keep the well behaved on neutered (Haldir is a very nice and calm lop, he even licks me and my daughter when we pet him) and just neuter Alex as he was aggressive and is a little hyperactive? Will they be able to keep been bonded with one neutered and the other not? I would really appreciate some advice  if someone has had a similar experience. Thank you in advance 🙂

• Wick & Fable
        5781 posts Send Private Message

They both need to be neutered — hormones are invisible and it’s impossible to predict when and how either rabbit will react to one of them still being intact. Also, both rabbits are still young, so the likelihood that the other rabbit will act more on hormones as he ages. Any relationship that includes at least one intact rabbit is considered a ‘baby bond’, which is what you experienced earlier. It is a bond that is seemingly wonderful; however, upon one acting on their hormones, it gets hostile quickly. The baby bond is dissolved so both rabbits must be neutered, one-month post-recovery, and then you need to go through the proper bonding process: https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/bonding/

Also note, depending on how they’re housed, the presence of any non-bonded rabbit (i.e., the female I believe) can trigger territorial aggression in all other rabbits, regardless of fix status. Your clothes, hands, etc. can smell like a non-bonded rabbit and that can trigger a different rabbit to become aggressive towards you. Rabbits smell and hear first; not see, so how you smell is going to be much more indicative to what sort of “threat” you are than how you actually look (similar to how bonds can be broken when one rabbit goes to the vet and returns smelling different).

Also, note that a baby bond is not a true bond, so do not feel terribly guilty for separating them for this time — it is for their safety and their bond is not stable/secure.

The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.

• DanaNM
          8935 posts Send Private Message

I agree with Wick&Fable, they should both be neutered for a stable bond to form. It’s also possible that they are just hitting puberty at slightly different rates, so Haldir might have some behavior changes as well if you don’t neuter him. His friendly behaviors will not go away with neutering.

Also just wanted to remind you that discussion of intentional breeding is prohibited on this forum.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• BZOO
            Participant
            330 posts Send Private Message

And, what would you do with the babies?  Can you guarantee a GOOD home for all?

Good luck with your boys.  Once officially bonded, there’s nothing quite like seeming them snuggling and grooming each other.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING Bonding a fixed with an unfixed bunny