Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A allergy question

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
    • Picksgirl
      Participant
      23 posts Send Private Message

Is there anyone here that has a bunny even though they are allergic?  I ask b/c my almost 18yr old stepdaughter who lives here is allergic (or so she thinks from childhood allergies).  She is rarely home (school fulltime, parttime job and friends and boyfriend).  If the bunny is kept in one room; a room that is right off the livingroom so it would always have a view of the main area of the house, would her allergies still be affected?  The bunny is not going to roam free in the house, only that particular room.

Any thoughts?

• MooBunnay
        Participant
        3087 posts Send Private Message

I am very allergic to many many things – including the hay my bunnies eat. I have extreme allergies to cats, but do not have the same problem at all with bunny fur. When I went to visit my boyfriend right after he had gotten his first bunny, he was not the greatest vacuumer and his whole room had a lot of hay dust and bunny fur all around, so I had horrible allergies in the room – however, I was able to leave the room and was not having the same problems in all areas of the house. Now, I have two bunnies in my bedroom, and have no problem at all. This is for several reasons. One: I use a covered litterbox which prevents hay dust from flying around (a Booda Dome I found at a pet store in the cat litterbox area), Two: I vacuum my room every other day and Three: I purchased a room HEPA filter which catches a lot of the fur and dust out of the air. I think all these things will keep the rest of your house from being affected by the bunnies fur, as well as prevent any allergy irritation to you.

• Scarlet_Rose
          Participant
          4293 posts Send Private Message

I totally agree with Moobunnay. Definately invest in a HEPA air filter, that has been the #1 thing that really helps and vacuuming diligently. Having a rabbit in a bedroom is the hardest on the one who is allergic to the animals so it is really best to house them in another room. I have some allergy to the hay myself and I shake it out outside then put it in the basket for them to eat and placed the HEPA filter by their home. I dust with those magnetic dust clothes and use a vacuum that also has a HEPA filter on it too and I do just fine. : )

• Gravehearted
            Participant
            2428 posts Send Private Message

In addition to the great suggestions from MooBunnay & ScarletRose, I think another big key is to make sure she washes her hands after playing with the bunny. My ex was allergic to bunnies – but with the help of a hepa filter he was ok, we also made sure the bunny didn’t come into the bedroom

You also might talk to a local rescue to try fostering a bunny, so you can see if her allergies can handle it. It’s a great way to learn about living with a house rabbit and also helps save a life. Then if she does turn out to be seriously allergic you will be able to give the bunny back to the rescue group, rather than having a bunny you need to find another home for.

• wendyzski
              Participant
              1312 posts Send Private Message

I second the idea of fostering – that way you can be SURE. 

I am not allergic to my bun but I AM allergitc to her hay, so I use my Roomba regularly, handle the hay with gloves only, use a larger hay rack that doesn’t need refilling as often, and use a HEPA filter.

• skunklionshow
                Participant
                1257 posts Send Private Message

There is a phenomena called "Holiday Allergy Season".  This is when kids go off to college or their own apts and when they visit mom & dad’s  their allergies flair up.  Allergy docs actually laugh that they are busiest b/t Thanksgiving & the New Year.  I’m being honest about this I’m not making it up. 

When I got the hubby, he was pretty allergic to my cats.  I got hepa filters, locked the kitties out of the bedroom, and vacuumed regularly.  He eventually developed allergy tolerance to the cats.  Kitties tend to cause more allergies than other beasts b/c of the factors in their saliva.  The hubby has asthma as well so we have to keep stuff tidy & keep him on his meds. 

I have MAJOR seasonal allergies and I use the allergy nasal spray.  Its very effective, but has not been so effective w/ ragweed this season.  I would suggest doing the filter and possible looking into other medications for her.  Good Luck!

• poopy
                  Participant
                  684 posts Send Private Message

Depends on the person. I am fully medicated, I run a HEPA filter, I still am sneezy all day long. And I have already completed allergy shots. If you are sensitive, sometimes there is nothing you can do when you are doing everything.

So find out if you daughter is willing to live with it, should you find that she is sensitive after you make the committment of getting a bunny.

When I had 2 (one was angora) the angora was so bad I could barely keep my eyes open and I was sneezing every 15 mins (literally). I couldn’t even wear my contacts and with glasses my eyes were burning.

Be CAREFUL.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HOUSE RABBIT Q & A allergy question