Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum BONDING 2 new rabbits

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
    • Hayden Wolford
      Participant
      14 posts Send Private Message

Hello all,

so I just got 2 new rabbits not too long ago. They are New Zealand rabbits both males. They get along fine and they also are decently friendly. They let me hold them and they also let me pet them but sometimes they are still nervous to let me touch or hold them. I’m wondering the best way to make them comfy in their new home and how to make them bond and feel more comfortable with me touching them and handling them. I’m new to rabbits so anything helps. Any tips on how I should get them to bond with me?
        thanks! 🙂

• DanaNM
        8935 posts Send Private Message

If the rabbits are very young (I’m guessing based on your other post), they will need to be separated at puberty and neutered. It’s very likely they will start fighting when they hit puberty (around 12 weeks of age), as babies cannot form true bonds. Once they are neutered you can go through the bonding process with them. You can read about the bonding process here: https://binkybunny.com/infocategory/bonding/. Also be aware that young rabbits are very often mis-sexed, so separating at 12 weeks or before is a good strategy to prevent an accidental litter. Separating before you see any aggression will give the best chances of bonding, as rabbits can definitely hold grudges.

(As an aside, I also recommend checking out the other sections in the Rabbit Info section as you are new to bunnies https://binkybunny.com/house-rabbit-information/).

In terms of you bonding with them, most rabbits hate being picked up, so it’s best to interact with them on their level. Hand feeding is good, but be wary of too many treats. Spending lots of time on the floor with them and mostly “ignoring” them is a good way to earn their trust. As prey animals rabbits get nervous if they feel like they are being watched too closely.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

• Hayden Wolford
          Participant
          14 posts Send Private Message

Thank you! I will definitely get them neutered. They are about 8 weeks old

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum BONDING 2 new rabbits