Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Ziggy’s digging at his ears again

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
    • kittsbuns
      Participant
      196 posts Send Private Message

Hey I brought Ziggy home last Wen. My vet said this might be a cronic condition he’ll alway’s have. He has started digging at his ears,eyes and sometime his nose and sneezing a little. Does any one have a good allergy sites. She said there was no yeast in the culture. She said his ear was as clear as its been since Oct. Should I ask for a allergy test or senctivty test? Any ideas I think were both stumped.

• Hannah
        Participant
        274 posts Send Private Message

Poor Zig! I wish I could help– until then, (((((happy Ziggy vibes!))))) I hope he feels better and you feel less worried. ;___;

• Kokaneeandkahlua
          Participant
          12067 posts Send Private Message

I have NO idea, but I hope Ziggy feels better soon!!

• Scarlet_Rose
            Participant
            4293 posts Send Private Message

Poor Ziggy! Daffodil has allergies to hay so I try to shake out as much dust as I can in it before I put it in their bin, I clean their cage and sweep up and vacuum the bottom of their cage every other day and I placed a smaller sized air purifier by their cage. There really isn’t any medicine, I just try to keep her environment as clean as possible, once you know the offender there are measures you can take. Also, perfumes, deoderizers, scented soaps, laundry detergent and scented candles etc. can cause a rabbit to have reactions, especially if you treat the carpet or flooring with anything or by using a reactive soap. I am wondering if Ziggy’s allergies are releated to something on the floor because it seems like areas that he touches with his feet are having the reaction.

I have not actually had Daffodil tested per say, I just elminated the most common allergens and so am not sure if there is a test that a vet will do much like they would for humans.

• kittsbuns
              Participant
              196 posts Send Private Message

Where did you find small air purifers I do have air wick air fresheners that spray every twenty minutes maybe all move that to my room. thanks

• Hannah
                Participant
                274 posts Send Private Message

Actually, air purifiers are a great idea– I have awful allergies and I *die* at school because I live in a dusty old castle (no joke; I totally live in a castle)– but it used to be the other way around because home was dustier, until my mom put in air purifiers– now I have much less allergies at home. If it works for people, it’d prolly work for your bun, too.

• Staja
                  Participant
                  59 posts Send Private Message

If you think your bun might have allergies, I wouldn’t put the Airwick air freshener into the room – that may make matters worse, as it sprays scents into the air.  I know you can get small air purifiers at places like Wal-Mart, and as others said, that may make a big difference for Ziggy!

• Scarlet_Rose
                    Participant
                    4293 posts Send Private Message

Small air purifiers can be found at a lot of discount stores and depending on how much you can spend, you can purchase larger ones as well. I have a small one that sits on the desktop next to them and a big one in the hallway. It sounds like poor Ziggy might be reacting from the Airwick.

• KatnipCrzy
                      Participant
                      2981 posts Send Private Message

I don’t know all of the info on Ziggy’s case.  But I do work at a vet clinic and and familiar with treating allergies for dogs and cats.

I am not sure there is reliable testing for allergies for rabbits.  There are 2 ways that I see allergy testing done- the 1st way is a blood draw that is sent to a lab and the blood is analyzed.  I can’t explain exactly what they look for- but I am not sure this would be considered a great option for a rabbit-as I assume they would not have reliable data to support testing rabbit blood.  The second way is that they sedate the pet- and then shave an area on the pets side- usually square or rectangle.  With Sharpie marker a dot grid is marked out on the side- how big depends on what allergies they are testing for- how many “dots” they need- plus the control tests.  Then as a timed test- a measured amount of allergen is injected at the designated “dot”/spot- each allergen and then controls having a different spot.  After the time elaspsed- the reaction is measured- with a plastic rule type thing that show how big the “injection spots” are.  The bigger the reaction in the spot- the higher the allergen injected ranks. 

With that being said- in alot of cases to get a pets allergies under control- a serum is developed just like for humans- we basically inject them with what they are allergic to to try to develop immunity.  So if allergy serum therapy is determined to be beneficial- injections are started on a – decreasing schedule- once every 3 days, once a week, every other week, etc- to try to get to a maintanece point where injections can be given about every 3-4 weeks.

I am speaking mainly from a cat and dog point of view and applying it to my understanding of rabbits.  The advantage for doing any tests even if you are not going to pursue an allergy serum type treatment- is that at least you might get a good idea WHAT the pet is allergic to.  But is is expensive to test for allergies- and ALL things are not tested for.  And I wonder if bunnies would have things that we put in their environment that are not being tested for- for example dogs and cats are not exposed to the beddings and hays and even probably ingredients in the food pellets like rabbits are.  For example- my dog is around the rabbit cage- but not as close to have as much direct contact for as long periods as time with the hay  or bedding.

In my personal opinion- I am not sure I consider rabbits a good canidate for either testing- the first- 3 mls of serum needs to be sent to the lab- so it would be a fairly good sized blood draw.  And the second testing-  unless this has been done alot on rabbits I would be afraid of sedating and injecting allergens into the bunny- multiple foreign “procedures” to the body.  And unless I was 100% convinced that Rabbit medicine has evolved to where Dog and Cat medicine is- I would not want to do it.

Alot of cats and dogs are allergic to house dust mites and mold- this does not mean the house is “dirty” or not clean in any way- it just means the pet is sensitive to common things in the house environment.  And there are things that you can do for this that do not involve treating the pet directly.  I will look up and see if I can find the info online or I will bring some of our hand outs home from work.

I strongly agree with stearing clear of the spray air freshners- in fact if you live in a small house or apartment it might be best not to use them at all.  This can only irritate the pets skin- it may do nothing- but it will never help.  Air cleaners such as ones that use a HEPA filter or the ionic filters I believe can be used.  I am going to dig up some more info on these.

There are other medications other than allergy serums.  They mainly treat the sypmtoms- not the cause- but for a pet to have a good quality fo life- if this works- that is great.  One options is steroids- not a great option to use and can have side effects/long term effects.  The second is antihistamines- in cats and dogs there are typically no side effects- other than sometimes drowsiness at first.  And they may or may not work.  But are generally a pretty safe option.  Disadvantage is medicating the pet probably 2-3 times a day.  BUT there are compounding pharmacies out there that can make liquid medicines in a flavored “sweet” syrup- and you may be able to find something that works that your bunny likes.  It is more expensive to have a medicine made like this as opposed to buying pre-made pills- but that depends on the specific medication- and it may be a med that is made for children that is over the counter or in stock pharmacy stuff (Wal-greens, etc).

I would talk to your vet and get some more info- do they suspect allergies- do they suspect contact allergies?  Do they think an antihistamine might help?  Is allergy testing realistic in Ziggy’s case?  Do they have any suggestions if it in an environemental allergy?  They may not be able to answer any of these questions- as it sounds like Ziggy’s problem is a bit of a mystery.

Can you give me some more info to think over?  What food is Ziggy on? bedding? etc?

Do you feel your vet is a very knowledgeable rabbit vet?  Or is he/she a good vet that treats rabbits also?  There are good resources out there for vets to consult on-line with other vets that are EXPERTS in their areas- oncology, opth, cardiology, exotics, etc (this service is typically an annual fee to use the message boards).  Some vets are used to doing things one way and are reluctant to change and “if it’s not broken, don’t fix it.”  But there are others like my vet that researched and learned about timothy based diets, deworming protocols, etc.  They are not relying on books the read in vet school X many years ago. 

Sorry for the long post- and I want to say again- that I am a vet assistant- and this is my personal experience- and in no way am I trying to detract from what your vet might suggest to give Ziggy a good quality of life.  I am relying on my experience with help my vet counsel clients with allergy cats and dogs.

Julie

• KatnipCrzy
                        Participant

I found a link on the Heska website that is the same as the brochures we hand out- (the company we use for serum allergy testing).  It does not look like the test rabbits (but other companies might).  But there is some good info about allergies, controlling environmental allergens- house dust, storage mites, and mold.

I don’t think the info about testing and treating with a formulated allergy serum is relevant- but the other stuff is a good read!!!

http://www.heska.com/allercept/client_info.asp#molds

• KatnipCrzy
                          Participant

Here is some info about air cleaners/ purifiers.  I have found this info discussed alot in aspect of bird/ parrot care.  And while I do not have any references to use around rabbits- I would tend to lean towards a HEPA filter as opposed to an ionic filter for a rabbit that is known/suspected allergy/ respiratory sensitivities.

I believe HEPA filters need to be replaced where Ionic filters have the metal “grids” that you rinse off.  I have an ionic filter that I moved away from the room my parrots are in after reading this info. 

http://www.birdboard.com/forum/macaws/20615-ionic-breeze-quadra-birds.html

• JK
                            Participant
                            2223 posts Send Private Message

Wow Julie! Thanks for all that info. I’m thinking I’m highly allergic to my baby boy Edson BUT I don’t know for sure if I am or if I am just having one cold after another either. I’m going for allergy testing in 3 weeks to find out for sure. Would an air purifier work for humans? I have had this horrendous cough for weeks now. It just doesn’t seem like allergies would cause that. My doctor gave me some nasal spray (Fluticasone) that I will NEVER use again. I only used it once and it was so weird – it just permeated thru my system. And I’m totally freaked out about things like Claritin because of the side effects. Sorry I hope you don’t think I’m taking advantage here but I’m getting desperate!

• MooBunnay
                              Participant
                              3087 posts Send Private Message

I actually bought a “RabbitAir” (figures) air filter off of Amazon.com. I use it in my bedroom, and have found that my sneezy bunny sneezes much less when it is around. It also saves me a lot of allergy problems because I am allergic to hay. I’d highly recommend it if you need to filter a whole room or living room.

I’d HIGHLY recommend you take the Airwick Freshener out of the bunny area. My only alergic bunny (the sneezy one I mentioned) sneezes like crazy at the scent of laundry detergent or perfume, so its a very likely suspect for his sneezing.

Knowltons4 – I’d consider the RabbitAir or another purifier if I were you. Put it near Edson’s cage to really get the hay dust and such out of the air. When I get hay dust in my lungs it makes me cough like crazy – though I usually have an itchiness that accompanies that in my throat, are you having that at all?

• KatnipCrzy
                                Participant

An air cleanier will definitely help- especially a HEPA type filter.  I know some people have reported less allergies to certain type of hay- they are better with orchard grass or oat grass as opposed to timothy.  But this would be trial and error to determine and of course the bunny would have to cooperate with trialing different hays.

I have taken over the counter (OTC) antihistamines for stuff in the past- Claritin does not seem to bother me at all- in fact my doctor has me on it for sinus issues right now- I take 1 pill once daily with no isseus.  Benadryl (also OTC), can cause drowsiness when taking- especially at first.  The ingredient in Benadryl is Diphenhydramine- and that is what is added to Tylenol PM- to make it “PM”.  But most people and pets IF they are taking it 2-3 times daily- thier body can adjust and it does not make you sleepy.  Or it can go the other extreme- I can not take 2 capsules of Benadryl (adult dose) as it makes me crazy jittery- my joints feel weird and I can not sleep.  I have to be careful with cold meds that contain this as the “night time” ingredient to help sleep- nothing worse than having a miserable cold- wanting to just sleep it off after a long day- but taking too much Nyquil and having the “excitability” “hyper” side effect kick in.  I am fine if I only take one capsule- just never two.

Julie

• KatnipCrzy
                                  Participant

kittsbuns-

How is Ziggy doing?  I have been thinking about Ziggy and what you said about his ears.   It sounds like there is not sign of infection (yeast or bacteria)- so that is why the vet is suspecting that it could be chronic.

I would see if your vet can recommend a dosage of antihistamines to hopefully keep Ziggy from inflicting any self trauma.  I don’t think antihistames are as worrisome to give to a rabbit as anitbiotics or sedatives. 

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Ziggy’s digging at his ears again