Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum DIET & CARE Yummier Pellets

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
    • mia
      Participant
      520 posts Send Private Message

I posted elsewhere about one of my buns losing weight. Right now, the assumption is this is because she needs more nutrients as she is a hay only eater and she is molting.

So, I’m looking for help finding her more nutrients. She won’t really eat vegetables; once in a blue moon, she may nibble the tiniest amount but then she gives up. I even try handing feeding, but nope. Even carrots, if I bring it to her mouth she literally moves her lips back like it’s poison. Her friend eats them so she’ll obviously keep having exposure, maybe one day… Same story with treats. It actually took her 1yr to even try a pellet. Now she eats about 2-3 pellets… I was told to not worry about trying young/junior ones.

OTOH, literally everything in the house is fair game to nibble on, even things I’ve never seen any other bun, and I’ve had many, go after. She’s literally eating paper right now instead of the two different pellets that’s out right now and a full hay box. She does like her hay.

I am in US and have tried:

Freely giving critical care
        All versions Science Selective
        All versions of Oxbow
        Sherwood – Vet gave me some and so far she won’t even get close to sniff it. I bring it up to her nose and she backs away.

She will eat regular Oats, but not oat hay.

• LBJ10
        16908 posts Send Private Message

I hate to say this… but have you tried “cheap” brands? Not the ones that have the junk in them. But Kaytee, for example, has plain pellets. If the intention is to fatter her up a bit, then I don’t think they brand of pellet is going to matter so much.

• mia
          Participant
          520 posts Send Private Message

Actually, I did hesitate to post if I should try something like Kaytee LOL!

So I did ask the vet if she takes to young pellets, if I should remove them after she gains weight and the vet said no. It’s better to not have a rollercoaster weight so I get it. So then would I stick to Kaytee if it works? Perhaps try and see first before worrying.

She has gained back quite a bit already but vet is still worried.

• LBJ10
            16908 posts Send Private Message

Yes, I would just stick with whatever works. If you find something she will eat, then keep getting it. You can always reduce the amount once she has gained enough weight. The reduced amount would then just be for maintenance.

• DanaNM
              8935 posts Send Private Message

Have you tried Emeraid (the Herbivore Sustain formula)? It’s a recovery food like Critical Care, but my rabbits ALL LOVE it, even the ones that hated critical care.

I also agree that a “cheap” brand would be good to try as well.

You could also try offering her oat hay if you haven’t already.

. . . The answers provided in this discussion are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. Seek the advice of your veterinarian or a qualified behaviorist.  

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum DIET & CARE Yummier Pellets