Forum

OUR FORUM IS UP BUT WE ARE STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF UPDATING AND FIXING THINGS.  SOME THINGS WILL LOOK WEIRD AND/OR NOT BE CORRECT. YOUR PATIENCE IS APPRECIATED.  We are not fully ready to answer questions in a timely manner as we are not officially open, but we will do our best. 

You may have received a 2-factor authentication (2FA) email from us on 4/21/2020. That was from us, but was premature as the login was not working at that time. 

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately! Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet. It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

What are we about?  Please read about our Forum Culture and check out the Rules

BUNNY 911 – If your rabbit hasn’t eaten or pooped in 12-24 hours, call a vet immediately!  Don’t have a vet? Check out VET RESOURCES 

The subject of intentional breeding or meat rabbits is prohibited. The answers provided on this board are for general guideline purposes only. The information is not intended to diagnose or treat your pet.  It is your responsibility to assess the information being given and seek professional advice/second opinion from your veterinarian and/or qualified behaviorist.

BINKYBUNNY FORUMS

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Your favorite home-made toys?

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
    • msarro
      Participant
      119 posts Send Private Message

Just curious what ya’ll like to make as a toy for your bunnies? So far I’ve tried brown paper bags full of timothy hay, with a couple holes gouged out. Also, toilet paper rolls filled with timothy hay.

Just curious, is hemp twine ok to have around a bunny? I would imagine so, but the fibers themselves are extremely tough and long and I’m worried they may hurt my bunny’s insides. If so I could make up some other things for her to play with.

• kimberleyanddarren
        Participant
        2520 posts Send Private Message

Im not sure about the hemp twine, hopefully someone can point you in the right direction on that one, as far as toys go i love the jellyfish ( a sheet of card with holes poked through and strips of newspaper pushed through the holes) as my two love to run under it and chew it etc.

• rabbitsmba
          Participant
          475 posts Send Private Message

Save 8-10 plastic bottle caps, wash well and drill a hole in each one. String them on some twine and tie together (make sure the “loop” is not big enough to go over the bunny’s head). Instant bottle cap rattle! My bunns love tossing it around – they love the clickety-clackety noise it makes!

• kimberleyanddarren
            Participant

oh wow thats an awesome idea im going to try that!

• Alicia Conklin
              Participant
              721 posts Send Private Message

woohooo I know what I’ll be doing tonight!  That sounds like fun..I bet Tucker would love it

• JamieM
                Participant
                321 posts Send Private Message

I wish I had a drill…. ha. Layla would like that.

• Moonlight_Wolf
                  Participant
                  1155 posts Send Private Message

You could do something similar with popsicle sticks.

You could also stick popsicle sticks in a toilet paper roll, stick them all the way through you cut a line on the both sides of the toillet paper roll to stick the stick through, like this:
                    IMG_5445.jpg picture by jenrefen

Well that is my creativity.

I am always looking for new toy ideas, toys I can make.

• kimberleyanddarren
                    Participant

wow that looks really cool! i bet u have 2 be careful what sticks 2 use or are they generally all safe?

• Moonlight_Wolf
                      Participant

Well you have to make sure they are not treated. Most are not treated because humans use them to eat popsicles from and they would not want humans to get poisined *gasp* it would be tragic, lol. I read on the internet that most popsicle sticks are made out of white birch, safe for rabbits so.. I also licked them myself to see if they tasted funny (make sure not treated.)

• Sage Cat
                        Participant
                        1883 posts Send Private Message

My shelter sells a home made toy called the “Shake, Rattle ‘n Roll” – it is about $1

They take a thick cardboard tube – about 2 inches in diameter and 4 to 5 inches long – stuff it with hay and raisins, papaya treats or asidophilis (?) treats. Then they wrap it in craft paper and tie the ends of the craft paper with raffia, so the tube is totally enclosed. It looks like a big piece of candy or a Christmas Popper.

The point is the buns have to figure out how to get to the treats!
                          It’s a great toy!

• Moonlight_Wolf
                          Participant

Ooh I just made a toy that is like a big version of the shake rattle and roll toy, it is made out of a paper towel roll,instead of a toilet paper roll. thanks for the idea!

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                            Participant
                            12067 posts Send Private Message

WOW you guys are all so creative!!!

• Beka27
                              Participant
                              16016 posts Send Private Message

what is the consensus on HEMP?! safe, or not?

• Deleted User
                                Participant
                                22064 posts Send Private Message

Suki likes it if you get a paper towel tube and poke holes in it then run newspaper through it so its like a cardboard catterpiller.

• Moonlight_Wolf
                                  Participant

I just tried the paper towel tube Idea and putting newspaper through it (except I used a toilet paper roll and I used computer paper.) Fern loved it!

• Dave
                                    Participant
                                    87 posts Send Private Message

Quik-rete tubes from Lowe’s.  They are used to pour concrete posts.  Fortunately they are a really cheap alternative for animal tubes!  They come in 8″ and 12″ diameters.

• Hedi
                                      Participant
                                      969 posts Send Private Message

The other thing you can try to make toys out of is dried corn husks. They sell them in the mexican food isle in almost all groceries. They are used to make tomales and are not treated with anything. Many buns will play/eat these as well.

• Hedi
                                        Participant
                                        969 posts Send Private Message

Beka- Hemp rope, Sisal rope and Jute are all bunny safe. Typically they are untreated.

Hemp and Jute can be found at fabric and craft stores because they use the Hemp for bracelets. They are both found in the jewelry area.

Sisal can be found any hardware store that sells rope for boats. Sisal is typically never treated so that it can be considered organic/natural and biodegradeable.

• Beka27
                                          Participant

i have tons of hemp. i used to craft necklaces and such back in the day… i’m gonna make something this week…

• Ali
                                            Participant
                                            7 posts Send Private Message

Mudocks most favorite toy “this week” is a old plastic laundry basket, i should have thrown away. it has holes in it, missing sections but it still held laundry. well, murdock thought it was interesting and on the floor, upside down, oh my. he goes in, yanks, pulls, moves it, shoves it, yanks so more. 15 minutes or so he is busy and for several times a day. I am not sure what the basket did in a previous life but its rabbit fodder when he gets done. that ol basket just submits and the rabbit seems happy.

also have noticed that the kleenex box is talking some smack. murdock saunders up, and just yakes the stuffing out til it screams for mercy(or runs out of kleenex).

he loves his bunny cottage too. its taken a lickin and keeps on tickin!

ali and murdock

• Kokaneeandkahlua
                                              Participant
                                              12067 posts Send Private Message

LOL That Murdock sounds pretty cute!!

• ilovemylittleman
                                                Participant
                                                57 posts Send Private Message

Don’t know if this qualifies as homemade completely, but…
                                                  I bought some of those wire cage balls with fuzzy mice in the the middle at the dollar store. They are supposed to be made for cats, but I took out the mouse. I stuff the ball with Timothy hay and Little Man loves it. He’ll rip all the hay out and play with the ball even when there isn’t anything in it.

• Beka27
                                                  Participant

that’s an awesome idea! i love the dollar store, you can get great stuff there.

• ilovemylittleman
                                                    Participant
                                                    57 posts Send Private Message

I love it too!!!
                                                      another dollar store toy I “made” was a fuzzy rope ball, or rather, a pair of them. I bought one of those rope dog bones, but it was too heavy for Little Man to throw, so I cut it in half and them spread all the threads out. It made 2 fluffy balls that he plays with alot.

Viewing 23 reply threads
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Forum HABITATS AND TOYS Your favorite home-made toys?